Check Engine Light - Engine Power Reduction - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
blazerdog
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Check Engine Light - Engine Power Reduction

Hello all...my first post and wish I didn't have to. New to diesels, currently also have a 2000 GMC Sierra 2500 6L gas.

Bought a 2008 GMC Sierra 3500HD dually (32,700 miles/54,000 km.) with the 6.6L Duramax in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Drove it back to BC Canada and had no trouble at all until I fueled up in Bellingham WA, which is possibly just a coincidence. Got the light just before the border and went into engine power reduction. Had it scanned and had the Low Fuel Rail Pressure code. Reset and ran fine the rest of the three hour trip

Since then it has had two more limp mode faults and is in the GM dealer's shop now. They said that the first fault at the border was because of an additive gumming up the sensors, so they did a regen. The second fault was Low Fuel Level, and has over 1/2 a tank of fuel. The third fault is unknown to me as they are now searching for something electrical.

I've read on the net about wiring leading to the throttle body possibly being a problem with the clump of wires rubbing and grounding out. Anyone else experienced these problems? Scary and dangerous thing bombing down the road and suddenly no pedal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
blazerdog
Diesel Head

Have an update from the dealer...not fixed but still searching. Now shows a loss of 5 volts to computer and low fuel rail pressure codes, same symptoms as when I came through the border a week ago.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Master

Just a wild guess on my part:

Document ID: 2207852
#PIP4526: Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs - keywords DTC hose kink loss P0087 P0093 P1093 pipe power reduced repair restrict restriction SES suction supply vacuum - (Nov 7, 2008)

Subject:Diesel Engine Fuel Line Repairs

Models:2001-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2001-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO codes LB7 LBZ LLY LMM

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

A dealer may need to perform a repair on the rubber portion of the fuel supply (suction) lines. The rubber section of the line could become kinked or collapse. Fuel lines that kink or collapse may induce a fuel system restriction (high vacuum gauge readings) or DTCs P0087, P0093, and/or P1093 to set.
If a technician was to suspect the rubber portion of the fuel feed line collapsing or kinking, replacement of only the rubber line is acceptable.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the steps below to repair the rubber section of fuel supply line:
  1. Carefully cut, split, and remove the OEM crimp from both ends of the flexible hose. These crimps can be cut with a small cut-off wheel. Split the crimp into two pieces (use your discretion on first cut location, then cut directly across from, or 180 degrees from first cut). Special care must be taken not to damage the flare on the end of the steel pipe that will be reused.
  2. Remove the OEM crimps and flexible portion of hose from the existing supply line.
  3. If replacing the rubber section of the supply line, a 1/2 ID hose meeting SAE specification 100R3 is suggested. Dealers may be able to find a local supplier for this hose, or can contact the manufacturer Parker Hannifin. The replacement hose would be a 1/2" diameter Parker part number 601-8 or H017-8. To find a local distributor the Parker website can be accessed at www.parker.com
  4. Use worm type hose clamps (use double clamps on each end) to attach the replacement hose to the existing pipe.
The locations of the flexible hoses are pictured below.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
blazerdog
Diesel Head

Thanks Ron...I've read quite a bit about the hose defect in the forums. I'll pass this on to the dealer in case they missed looking at it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
blazerdog
Diesel Head

Just an update...dealer ran trough all the GM service bulletins on flaky wiring harnesses and all seems to be okay now. Possibly a pin losing contact or so they say...over a week and no power reduction. Yes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.