Air cleaner Icing in winter driving - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
dspagrud
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Air cleaner Icing in winter driving

I have a 2007 Duramax LMM. Last winter while pulling my fifth wheel down to Yuma, my air cleaner froze up in Montana. The GM dealer de-iced the KN filter and also drilled 5 1" diameter holes in the top of the air cleaner cover. Down the road my truck still acted up (service engine light). In Vegas the GM garage closed up the 5 holes in the lid, put in an ordinary filter and everything has been fine since. Anyone had the same problem?

dspagru in Melfort, Saskatchewan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

It ain't snowing here. Besides, this is the wrong place in this forum to ask that question. And, YES, it has happened to others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
TheBac
Diesel Laureate

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Probably had a lot to do with that K&N filter.

"BBT" 2003 GMC 2500HD CC/SB 4x4
12.14 @ 111.15

2003 Olds Aurora 4.0 -- the "new" car

Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

I know just enough to be dangerous.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
cjj762
Diesel Enthusiast

Had the same thing here in Alaska, cant run a K&N in the winter without having this possibility. AC Delco has given me no problems

Last edited by cjj762; 06-22-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
EXTLMM
Diesel Fanatic

Had the same problem a couple years ago completely stock. Dealer put in new stock filter and drilled the five holes, had no more problems. Last winter i never changed back to the cover with the holes in it and also had no problems... so who really knows, but i did have the same problem with the stock filter.
Quad on 50HP, MBRP 4" turbo back
Transgo JR, Transynd fluid
285/75R16, Ultra wheels
Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
JSierraR
Diesel Enthusiast

I had the same problem driving from Edmonton to Regina this winter. When I pulled into the dealership in Saskatoon I knew before hand what was wrong. The air being pulled into the engine also sucks up any snow that may be able to get into the air filter box. The snow sits on the filter where it melts and makes its way through the filter and into the air intake hose and then the MAF sensor gets wet and sends a code to the trucks computer. That is when you see the "reduced power" on the DIC.

In my case When I got to the dealer all the mechanic did was clean out the air box, wipe down the MAF sensor hooked up his computer and cleared the code.

The idea of putting holes in the cover is so that more air is pulled from the engine compartment in winter conditions and less from the stock fender location. Up here in Canada this has happened many times with both new body style Duramax's and also the 6.4 Fords.

The dealer reccomended the only thing GM suggests to do is buy a front cover for the grille area and to not drive in snowy conditions. So I guess I wont be able to drive for 6+ months of the year when it is snowing out. LMAO!

From now on during the winter I will be carrying an extra filter, some paper towel and a inexpensive computer for clearing MAF codes.

Thanks General Motors!
-Tuned with EFI Live (DPS, Calgary, AB)
-MBRP 4" Exhaust
-MKW M29 Black/Aluminum wheels.
-Bilstien 5100 shocks
-Bakflip Folding cover
-Weathertech floor mats
-Firestone Air Bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links