vibration at idle - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
keypunch
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

vibration at idle

About a month ago truck started to have a slight vibration at idle that can be felt when touching the dash and can be felt in the steering wheel also at idle.Causes a low pitch hum in the cab.Lifted the hood and can feel the same type vibration on the intake tube going to the air filter from the manifold.Anyone experience this?Not sure what to look for.Is the vibration on the intake tube normal? If so some how its now effecting the interior by transmitting .It stock,no mods.

Last edited by keypunch; 02-11-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
dohammer
Diesel Enthusiast

I have a 2009 with 1900 mile and have had the same vibration since day one. I have one near the passenger side which stops when I open the glove box. Not sure where to look and don't want the dealer taking everything apart trying to find.That damn dashboard is all cheap plastic and moves so easy when pressing on it. I think the vibration from the engine go into the dash...just trying to live with it for now.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
armylifer
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

I have the same symptom. It started after the dealer did a repair for a raw diesel smell during regen. I have not found out what causes it. I took it back to the dealer and they said that it sounded normal to them. I got tired of arguing with them and I have had that vibration for about 18 months now. It goes away at about 950 RPMs and up. Also, if I take a long trip the vibration is almost completely gone at idle. If someone has any suggestions as to what is causing it, I would like to know also.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
USMC1371
Diesel Fanatic

There are alot of different vibrations, ticks, taps, that these trucks make, for a while at idle my dash would vibrate real loud. The only way to fix it was hold my hand on it. I deleted the DPF and nothing seems to bother me over the sound of the truck now. kind of an ignorant answer. but it worked for me.
Z-71, BLK, , EDGE EVO RACE, 4 inch MBRP,6 inch tip. TRANS GO JR, 4.5" Bds Bushwaker flares, Road armor Front bumper/ PIAA lights., Deep tranny pan, Firestone helper bags, S&B Intake, 33x12.50 toyo open country on 18X9 inch eagle alloy wheels -11.2 offset, 1 1/2 spacers in rear. Moog upper and lower ball joints/pitman idler arm. Cognito support kit. Rare parts tie rod ends. DRP 5/8 tranny cooler lines. Kool Vue tow mirrors. Dee Zee 85 gallon powder coated slip tank, DRP CCV,
Old 02-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
catch007
Diesel Technician

Don't know how many miles you have on your truck but around 30K mine started a vibration at idle. I saw nothing wrong so I kept trucking. At 93K I read somewhere (on this site) that it is the belt tension pulley vibrating at idle. changed the Serpentine belt and squeak I had sense the truck was new at shut down just as engine stopped disappeared, and the vibration went away. Now with 118K the vibration is starting to come back. You might have someone look at the belt tension pulley at idle, in gear. Good luck.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Nielson
Diesel Master

Like many of you, I also have a vibration in the dash at idle (only). I have found that my noise comes from contact between the front edge of the dash and the bottom side of the windshield, slightly left of center of the steering wheel. It's hard to see up close at the point where the sound comes from, but it appears that there are some small pads on the front edge of the dash to prevent vibration contact with the windshield. Some of those little pads seemed to have dropped off and now I have contact and a noise. If I put my finger in that area, or a soda straw, or most anything that prevents contact, the noise stops. Probably could solve the problem with a little weatherstrip on the top front edge of the dash - just haven't gotten to it yet.

2008 2500HD LT CCLB/Ally. Line-X, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Edge Insight CTS, Kennedy Custom ECM
2009 Arctic Fox 5er, Silver Fox Edition 29-5T, 3.6 Onan LPG, SteadyFast Stabilizers
Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
COMPWEST
Diesel Technician

I have a 2009 LMM and i have a small vibration at at idle as well, its normal for a diesel. My father has drove an 18 wheeler for forty years and thats somthing i have always noticed. Its a diesel, not a 1500 with a 5.3, enjoy the power and deal with the vibration at idle.
JL Audio Stealth Box 2-W3's / JL 500 X 1
Amp Steps, Firestone bags, Shocker Horns, CST Keys, ICON Vehicle Dynamics 2.5 Piggybacks, BMF S.O.T.A Chrome and 33" TOYO MT

Other Toys,
2009 Weekend Warrior FS2600 Widebody, Billet
2003 Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by COMPWEST; 02-11-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bow08Tie
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPWEST View Post
I have a 2009 LMM and i have a small vibration at at idle as well, its normal for a diesel. My father has drove an 18 wheeler for forty years and thats somthing i have always noticed. Its a diesel, not a 1500 with a 5.3, enjoy the power and deal with the vibration at idle.

Second your answer....Its a diesel. You will probably notice that the vibration is more pronounced in the winter time/colder temps.
Stock
Fumoto F106N
WeatherTech floor mats
Raptor 4" black oval wheel 2 wheel
Marathon SuperHides black seat covers
Bilstein Zinc 5100's 0" to 1.5" shocks
Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
cih2210
Diesel Head

I have a 2009 with a little under 1600 miles on it and I have the same issue. I asked the stealer about it and they said they can tear the dash apart and spray foam it! WTF!!! I declined of course becuase I don't think I want any parts of a 3 dollar can of spray foam on a 50,000 truck.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
walleyerod
Diesel Head

I have the exact same annoying vibration in the dash, only at idle - had it from day one -drove me crazy and was same description as Ron above - anything between the two pieces of the dash near the windshield where the little felt pads are would stop it so I fixed it. Last weekend I popped the dash apart, rolled in a small piece of a windshield gasket (rubber, sticky gasket) got it nice and warm, pushed the two pieces of dash back together (had to do some thinning in areas where gasket was too thick) and then trimed off the excess - she's as quiet as a mouse - no rattle, no vibration, nothing.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.