Factory Remote Starter Quits After 5 Seconds - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Advertise

Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) Discuss the fourth generation (2007.5-2010) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
barryk
Heat Sink

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Factory Remote Starter Quits After 5 Seconds

Great Forum, been reading for a while, first question. On my 2007.5 Duramax, the factory remote has been working fine until its started to get colder out. (-5C) It starts the truck but will turn off after couple of seconds. I tried this morning again with the remote starter while sitting in the truck and same thing, turned off after a short time, no Check engine lights came on or nothing showing any problems, truck will not remote start attempt second time, I saw this as a cause from reading previous posts. If I put the key in the ignition till the glow plug light goes off, the remote starter will then work fine. If its doing this now, it stands no chance when its -35C!! I called local dealership and they say they have never heard of this problem, go figure. As a side note, I am thinking I may get an AstroStart, if I am having problems with the factory remote would I have the same problems with an aftermarket unit?

If I would have better luck with this post in the electrical section someone can go ahead and move it there. Thanks.

Last edited by barryk; 11-23-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Ninja

INDP Member

I suspect there is still a code in the history. Run down to a autoparts store and see if there is a code in it.
If there is one make note and post back with it.
Brian

Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN

Last edited by Tanc Crusher; 11-23-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
barryk
Heat Sink

I'll have to grab a scanner to try out, will the truck store codes yet not show any Check Engine lights, and once the truck is running with the key in the ignition will the codes clear or will they still be present?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
08 Black Max
Glow Plug

I'm pretty sure that there is some sort of code being thrown by one of the many computers. The manual says something about shutting down if it detects any kind of failure as a protection for the engine/transmission.
Now how to find/fix it is a very tough question. Maybe try plugging into the obd port key out door closed and then command a remote start and see what happens.
I'm sure the computer will / does post some sort of status codes that can be read with the correct equipment. My guess is either the glow plugs and or the warming grid is some how causing the code to be thrown.
Good luck
Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
cjj762
Low Boost

Mine does that as well sometimes, it is usually a saftey shut down because of oil pressure. On thecolder days it takes a min to get oil press and the auto start will shut down. If you have started it manually you may have seen the warning on the screen that says "low oil pressure shut off engine", basically its doing it foryou as your not in the truck to monitor. happens off and on to me at about -20 and below.

Last edited by cjj762; 11-24-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
SS Crew
Diesel Nut

Call OnStar if you have it. They should be able to tell if you have any codes in your ECM. Hey, if they can tell you what your check engine light code is, they might be able to tell you why your auto starter isn't staying on....and you can do it from the garage just by sitting on your butt (even with a beer in your hand).

2011 Chevy 2500 HD LTZ Crew Cab LML - Leveled with 305-55-20 Cooper Zeon LTZ
MotorOps Delete tune
DPF delete
Corsa muffler
RIP:
2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Crew Cab, 20" Weld Veociti 8's w/ 305-50-20 Yokahama Parada Spec X's
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Duramax-LMM
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Be sure your cold weather automatic elevated idle is switched on too......

Michilen LTX MS2 / Leer 700 Hard tonneau.
Katzkin Leather / WeatherTech floormats.
Fuel Filter Service Door / Aluminum bleeder screw.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jimmy O
Sparkplug Hunter

Are tires low on air now that it is cold out? A low tire pressure warning will prevent the factory remote start from operating. Get the Astro as two shots at 10 min.s each is not long enough to warm the truck up... well not enough here in North Dakota. Good luck.

Jimmy
Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
barryk
Heat Sink

Borrowed a OBD2 code reader and started the truck this afternoon with it hooked up. Started fine as temperature was above freezing, will have to wait for a colder day (not if, but when...Edmonton, Canada) no codes of any kind displayed at this time. Tire pressure is at 65 pis front, 68 rear. Never had low oil pressure alarms, but is possible I suppose, no OnStar. I have the 2007.5 Duramax 2500HD SLT. How would I know if I have elevated idle, I looked in my owners manual and saw no reference to it. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Duramax-LMM
Diesel Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryk View Post
..........How would I know if I have elevated idle, I looked in my owners manual and saw no reference to it. Thanks for all the replies.

It's in the manual - key word ELEVATED IDLE........... You have to turn it on for it to work, I know that's what I did last winter....... Loads and warms the Allison too when temps are cold enough........

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=284175

Michilen LTX MS2 / Leer 700 Hard tonneau.
Katzkin Leather / WeatherTech floormats.
Fuel Filter Service Door / Aluminum bleeder screw.

Last edited by Duramax-LMM; 11-24-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in