Water Pump Leak - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cajthaml123
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Water Pump Leak

I have 17,000 miles on my truck and was changing the oil and noticed coolant had leaked onto the front diff. I looked up and saw the water pump has been leaking. I cleaned the surface and it has not leaked until I towed my fith wheel. My truck is under warranty so no worries. I just hate for them to tare the front of my truck apart to get the water pump. Does anyone know how involved replacing a water pump gasket is on one of these new trucks? It looks like the whole front of the truck needs to come apart to get to it.
2008 Duramax LTZ / Navigation / Entertainment Console w/DVD and Nav Override / Sunroof / AFE Drop In Filter / 285/55/20 - Micheline ATX2 / 20x8 American Racing Clash wheels / Alpha Liner / Super Glide 5th wheel hitch / Transfer Flow 40 Gallon Fuel Tool Box / Allison Deep Pan Trans Pan / Mag-Hytech Differential Cover, Transynd and Amsoil / Clear Bra - Paint Protection / Motor - Schaeffer Oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
astralepic
Diesel Head

Had to have a new water pump within a thousand miles. They had to order it from Canada and was three days getting here. It's tough to turn your truck over to a dealer and drive some piece while it's being worked on... No problems since. Make sure you have a diesel mechanic working on it. Dealers want to say everyone is trained to work on diesels, but that gem needs a real mechanic working on it.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
fire0021
Banned

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajthaml123 View Post
I have 17,000 miles on my truck and was changing the oil and noticed coolant had leaked onto the front diff. I looked up and saw the water pump has been leaking. I cleaned the surface and it has not leaked until I towed my fith wheel. My truck is under warranty so no worries. I just hate for them to tare the front of my truck apart to get the water pump. Does anyone know how involved replacing a water pump gasket is on one of these new trucks? It looks like the whole front of the truck needs to come apart to get to it.
dealer will prob just pull your rad intercooler and stuff then get enough room tht way. its prettty easy to pull the fron end off the truck thoe takes about 2 hrs
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
JakeC
Diesel Fanatic

if the tech knows what he is doing, then only the fan shroud, fan and balancer need to come out to do the water pump.
06 yz450f, 09 yamaha yzf r-600

Last edited by JakeC; 11-09-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement