Diesel Place banner

Whining Noise?????????????????

34K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  bolivas 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Duramax and I just got a new 5th Wheel trailer. Trailer weighs about 12,000 loaded and it is within my towing specs. The last couple of times I have pulled it over a mountain near my house, my engine or turbo makes a high pitched whining noise. It sounds to be directly associated with RPM's. When I let off the pedal the noise goes down and visa versa.

It happens when I've been pulling for awhile or just starting the trip, but only when pulling up a hill. Once I let up on the pedal and tried to slow down and the noise went away eventually.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the turbo or exhaust gas temp? Any ideas?

Thanks

#3 ·
I know that when I am towing up a mountain my turbo noise is much more pronounced and can easily be heard inside the cab.

This was the same for both my current and previous 6.5TD truck.

In fact while towing was the only time I could hear the Turbo inside the cab of my 6.5, it was quite a noisy engine in comparison.

What I can hear with my LMM sounds like a mix of a high pitched whistle and high pressure air just as you describe related to RPMs.

The noise on mine is not deafening or loud by any stretch but can definitely be heard inside.

Unless it is an excessive noise on your truck it sounds like it might be normal.

mike

#11 ·
Saw that one coming a mile away! :)

#12 · (Edited)
Mine's sounds like it have a "gear drive", kinda sound like a drill. This noise comes on just before operating temperature, or after starting @ operating temp, then goes away. Doesn't happen everytime, but often enough. What's up?

#13 ·
Yep mine does the same. At cold engine temps it will make this noise. When pulling up a hill with my the 39' toyhauler it will do the noise thing. Crest the hill and start coming down or level off on the grade it will cease. With out the toyhauler running hills it does not make this noise. I didn't know if it was extra work from the turbo or could it be an intercooler sound. Kind of worries me a bit.

#14 ·
Sounds like you may have passed a ford superduty on the hill.

#15 ·
Recently pulled my 5th over a 9700' pass in Wyoming and the fan noise was so loud that I had to turned the radio off. My fan really makes a racket when the coolant temp goes up, but it usually only stays on for 3-4 minutes, then the temps are back to normal, and the fan clutch lets go.
That's the only noise my LMM has ever made.

#16 ·
Solution?

I have a 2008 Duramax and I just got a new 5th Wheel trailer. Trailer weighs about 12,000 loaded and it is within my towing specs. The last couple of times I have pulled it over a mountain near my house, my engine or turbo makes a high pitched whining noise. It sounds to be directly associated with RPM's. When I let off the pedal the noise goes down and visa versa.

Hi Utahman, Did you figure out the noise, my 2008 duramax did the same thing two weeks ago, I have an appointment to have a diesel mechanic go on a drive with me and i'm taking my trailer, for it will only do this while towing, I noticed my trans temp was near 190 deg. and the eng. temp had crept over 210 cause the fan clutch kicked in right before the whining sound started.

Thanks.

Rigo.

#17 ·

Hi Utahman, Did you figure out the noise, my 2008 duramax did the same thing two weeks ago, I have an appointment to have a diesel mechanic go on a drive with me and i'm taking my trailer, for it will only do this while towing, I noticed my trans temp was near 190 deg. and the eng. temp had crept over 210 cause the fan clutch kicked in right before the whining sound started.

Thanks.

Rigo.

intersted in what you find out. please post the results as my truck does the same thing. The whining I hear sounds like and old firetruck siren right under the dash near the pedals. Same as all the other posters it goes up and down with the rpms.

#20 ·
My turbo has always sounded like a belt whine. If you hear the same sound I do then it's just the way the turbo sounds from in the cab. I spent time on trying to find this sound and I concluded it was a high pitch sound but was certainly the turbo boosting.

#21 ·
The sound was caused by the plastic fan flexing and hitting the housing right behind it, only when the temp gets high enough to engage the fan clutch.
The dealer went through and replaced the down pipe and the egr valve trying to solve the problem but this weekend when I towed my trailer the noise came back, when I got to the desert I popped the hood and saw that the ends of the fan blades were ground down on the ends where it hits.
Hopefully they have an aluminum upgrade for this.

Good Luck.

#24 ·
Mine also whines like this when in tow/haul mode. Appears to be transmission related and I have followed posts on it for a while. Seems to be normal and no one had ever had a problem because of it that I have seen. If its the same whine, that is.

#26 ·
My uncle has an LMM and it made the same noise after doing a downshift with the grade braking. Took it to the dealer and all he told me is they did some big turbo work on it. I'll see if I can get a copy of his paperwork to verify what they did.

#29 ·
Yah, wonder what they would have done big work on the trurbo......hummmmmm?

#28 · (Edited)
this is a real different sound than just the fan and tranny. A not normal kind of sound. I checked my fan and I too have the marks on the blades. im goin to try and modify it a little to compesate for the fan flex.

Rigo, any luck finding and aluminum upgrade yet?

#31 ·
Thats the very sound mine makes. Doesnt last long but enough to get my attention. Figure out what it is PLEASE post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.