Diesel Place banner

2006 LLY Engine with broken crank - LLY vs LBZ

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Freddyack 
#1 ·
Hey guys
I have spent some time on here investigating my problem but cant quite find an answer.
I have a 2006 C5500 4x4 - it has a 2 eighth digit of the VIN that identifies the engine as a LLY
There is a lot of discussion on here about early 2006 vehicles even with VIN 2 being a de-tuned LBZ motor.
My goal is to replace this motor with a good running motor or replace the crank.
I have a local fella selling a 2007 LBZ motor and i wonder if this engine will replace mine? I have also read many threads about people replacing a LLY with a LBZ and they are having nightmares.

I am not sure if i have a 5 speed or 6 speed - there is a overdrive button on the dash

How can i know for sure if this is a LBZ designated as a LLY?

Maybe i can put my parts on the long block of this LBZ engine? But if i have a true LLY engine that wont work?

My local GM dealer took the VIN and identified as a LLY just as i did and he didnt know anything about 2006 LLY engines actually being a detuned LBZ.

Ok thanks for the Help - Help!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you had a regular pickup truck, an LBZ engine would be good to go.

The problem is that you have a 5500 series truck, which sometimes will be one year behind on things like motor updates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.