Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I don't understand the VIN range for the Silverado.

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

What does that mean? The first set overlaps the second set.

And just for reference mine was built 01/06 and is 6E211543. So it looks as if all of us are going to have this done.

#4 ·
I don't understand the VIN range for the Silverado.

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

What does that mean? The first set overlaps the second set.
The first set of VINs with the "E" is for trucks built at the Pontiac assembly plant. These are the Extended Cab trucks.

The second set with the "F" is for trucks built at the Flint Assembly plant. These are the Crew Cab trucks.

#5 ·
Got mine reflashed today, took about 30 min.

#7 ·
Max Payne,

I stopped at the dealer this afternoon and they did not know anything about the recall. Should I wait for a letter from GM or go back down to the dealership and ask for the update again.

Thanks

#8 ·
Take the TSB number and call them up. If the service advisors do not know, ask for the shop foreman. They have the TSBs generally. MyGMLink sent me an email saying there is an open recall for my truck. So GM knows, just have to find the tech who does. IF still no one knows, then print off the instructions from the top of the page. Take it in and they should be smart enough to figure it out from that.

#10 ·
Had mine done today. Called them yesterday about the recall, they had no knowledge but were eager to find out. Called me back & made arrangements to have it done today. Not sure how long it took because they had the stupid truck over half a day!! Anyway it's done.

I was concerned because my Check engine light popped up last week. They said it was due to the glow plug issue, but no further details. So I'm a little concerned, but the truck has always ran fine. So I guess we'll see.

Thanks guys :thumb:

#11 ·
I was concerned because my Check engine light popped up last week. They said it was due to the glow plug issue, but no further details.
There are two types of GP failure... "slow open" and "fast open"
In "fast open", the plug fails internally but remains intact. In "slow open" the plug tip actually falls off.

If you had a "fast open", then your engine is safe. If you just got a light with no knocking or any other symptoms, it's probably fine.

#13 ·
Called my dealer this morning, they had not heard about recall yet.
However within 2 minutes he found it and scheduled my truck for tomorrow morning. Looking forward to having that headache taken care of. I've had no problems, other than crappy fuel mileage, but always held my breath when starting the truck.

#21 ·
This is not a TSB.... it's a recall and all trucks in the VIN range are impacted.

The difference is, with a recall, the manufacturer actively notifies all owners and performs the service at no charge.
For a TSB, it is a technical service bulletin. It MAY or may not be covered for free out of warranty, a lot depends on your relationship with the dealer. By the book, a TSB is performed at "normal charge" (free under 3/36 or emissions warranty) BUT it is only performed as a repair based on a customer complaint.

IOTW: If there is a TSB for the steering shaft that indicates that it is to be replaced and you bring your truck in at 30k for an oil change, they will not replace the shaft. If you come in and complain about "a strange noise", they will replace the shaft.

#15 ·
So acording to this regular cab trucks are fine?

#16 ·
I would not say that. Check your VIN and see if it falls within any of the ranges. ALL of these trucks are built in one of those two plants, so I would say that the regular cab trucks are also included. It is an engine issue, not a plant issue. The reason why they include the model year and plant code is because otherwise they might have more than one truck with the same sequence number in the VIN.

#17 ·
GPCM Reprogram Complete!

Took my dealer about 20 mins to do the reprogram. I'm glad this monkey is off my back!

I frequent many forums over the internet and this forum is by far the best there is! Thanks DP and all of its members!

:exactly:

#18 ·
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction
Thanks Max:
I just went down to my dealer with your info and sure enough my vin# came up open,which i guess means i needed the reprograming for this problem.:ro) Again thanks max for your post..
Regards
Nick

#19 ·
I called my dealer this morning and they have me bringing it in tomorrow after lunch. They weren't aware of it, but sure was glad it was brought to their attention. While I haven't had any problems, a recall is a recall and they have always been good about performing all recalls on my vehicles.

#20 ·
GPCM updated!

Got mine done this morning, mine is a reg. cab and fell into the vin range. Ditto for everyone elses comments, glad to put this issue to rest.:rolleyes:
The dealer also commented that they have had no 06's come in with glow plug issues, and they are the biggest dealer in the area. Good News.

#22 ·
I'm sorry if this was mentioned already but I didn't see it. What exactly is supposed to be solved by the re-flash ??

I got my lbz done a couple of days ago, the wts light doesn't seem to be any quicker. Maybe the re-flash will prevent it from staying on too long.

#25 ·
Help - latest glow plug info

I work at a chevy truck and medium duty dealer as a tech. I have an LBZ with 5000 miles on it that was built on 10/05 I think. It had 4 codes in it that I accidentally erased while installing the Bully Dog Power Pup. I believe they had to do with my catless exhaust, and pulling the 4 required fuses (for BD install) with the ignition on (engine off). However, I am extremely concerned about the glow plugs destroying my engine for these two reasons:

1. There is a loud knocking at idle, it seems to go away after the engine warms up really well.

2. I just saw a live super up to date video at work on the LBZ glow plug problem and they said that the recall is constantly being updated and changed, meaning they have not figured it out completely -and- most glow plugs being pulled out had the tip fallen off and that REQUIRES heavy duty engine dissassembly.

Some other useful inside info I picked up today is that broken tips throw a different code than in-tact tips (I guess that's the same as slow open/fast open??) and that aftermartket electronics such as alarm systems and remote starts may cause/worsen the problem. My boss told me that we pulled 8 glow plugs out of a truck that were broken off but there were no driveability concerns whatsoever and not to worry but that is of little comfort. I don't think there is a "good" place for them to fall.

My question to you guys is WHAT SHOULD I DO?
I wanted to pull the glow plug fuse and let it throw the check engine light, as long as the plugs don't fry any more (would this work? would I go into some kind of limp mode?) but the fuse is not easily accesible. What about disconnecting the control module?

Also, I will not rest until I pull all 8 of my glow plugs to see if the tips have broken off (heard it's fairly easy to do). If they are burnt but in tact, I will try to have them relaced under warranty. I pray that they are in tact and that my loud knocking during cold idle is unrelated.

One question:
If one or more of the tips were broken off, would it cause bad driveability all the time and codes to come back because:
The truck runs very well under load and warm, and there are no codes.

Thanks a lot and I hope that this has been at least a little informative. I will post updates as soon as I can. Good luck with the glow plugs, and on the bright side they also said the LBZ was way faster that any other diesel on the market right now (how about that!) and it is detuned for the Allison. They called it a sleeping monster or a quiet gun or something like that and said it was insanely powerful compared to LLY, Powerstroke and Cummins. That was an official live GM video from today.

#37 ·
1. There is a loud knocking at idle, it seems to go away after the engine warms up really well.

One question:
If one or more of the tips were broken off, would it cause bad driveability all the time and codes to come back because:
The truck runs very well under load and warm, and there are no codes.
When my GP broke, I had a terrible knock and engine miss for the first 20 sec's. Directly after that, my CEL came on. I'm not sure what sort of knock you are hearing but if you had a bad glow plug, either a "slow open" or a "fast open" condition, you would get a CEL because the circuit at the glow plug would be an open circuit thus throwing a code. I think you need to take your truck to a Dmax tech as already mentioned and have them diagnose your knock. I dont know but maybe its possible to have a bad glow plug and not a CEL? Either way, I would be concerned and get it looked at by a certified Dmax tech.

#26 · (Edited)
I find it hard to believe that eight tips in the combustion chamber would not cause some kind of problem, beside the fact that they have to go somewhere after the cyl. and the next stop is the turbo. With the speed that the turbo spins i don't believe anything could pass thru without causing damage. but this just my own personal opinion.
If you are concerned about your engine why don't you have it checked under warranty?
Took my truck to the dealer 2 days ago and they said it would be april 18 before they could update my glowplug controller, but i have not had any problems so i will wait.
Why don't you pull the fuse for glowplugs and see what happens, you are in fla. so cold start should not be an issue, i don't wait for glowplugs any more and have not had any problems.

#27 ·
I agree with you, there has to be damage when the tip breaks off, that's why GM makes you tear the engine down. I don't want anyone besides myself working on my truck, it's just a personal preference, you never know someone could be jealous that you have a brand new $40+ truck, or just not care. Therefor I will pull my own glow plugs and do my own reprogramming. I was just wondering as far as the symptoms of a broken off tip(s) and what to do in the present situation. Thanks.

p.s. - I am still going to try to disable the glow plugs for now, and hope to get away with just a SES light and no power reduction. Any info on that?

#33 ·
I agree with you, there has to be damage when the tip breaks off, that's why GM makes you tear the engine down. I don't want anyone besides myself working on my truck, it's just a personal preference, you never know someone could be jealous that you have a brand new $40+ truck, or just not care. Therefor I will pull my own glow plugs and do my own reprogramming. I was just wondering as far as the symptoms of a broken off tip(s) and what to do in the present situation. Thanks.

p.s. - I am still going to try to disable the glow plugs for now, and hope to get away with just a SES light and no power reduction. Any info on that?
I don't know about the knock when you first start your truck, mine is always very quiet, what some think is noisy could sound normal to others, but if you are in doubt i would have a mechanic with a lot of dmax experience listen to it. some of what you pay for when selecting a mechanic is experience, just about anyone can change parts.

#29 ·
Yes there is a recall, it is very new so some dealers may not be aware. It says to reprogram the glow plug control module no matter what, and only inspect and possibly replace the glow plugs if there is a code found indicating failure. The procedure then is to remove the glow plugs, replace if they are burnt, and reprogram the module. Missing tips require engine teardown. This is brand new and constantly changing so don't blame the dealers if they don't know what you are talking about at first.

So actually there is no recall to "replace the glow plugs". Hope this helps.

#31 ·
You could also say that they are trying to modify the module program to prevent the plugs from burning up. It's true that the 4.7s fry easy but the whole point of switching from 11v was quick warm-up and easy start and it works well. (LBZs start in 1 second every time) But the fact that the glow plugs are staying on sometimes tells me there is another problem.

#34 ·
You could also say that they are trying to modify the module program to prevent the plugs from burning up. It's true that the 4.7s fry easy but the whole point of switching from 11v was quick warm-up and easy start and it works well. (LBZs start in 1 second every time) But the fact that the glow plugs are staying on sometimes tells me there is another problem.
As far as you being a tech what is your opinion on how long a glow plug should stay on at first start up in the morning with temps 20 to 40 degrees and will the new flash cut back the time the glow plug stays on.Thanks for the info given.

#32 ·
I don't know how they keep track of which module is in which truck. My service advisor was really cool and printed out the screen on GM VIS for me. Under the Required Field Actions section, it says "Vehicle has no current record of outstanding campaigns". He also printed a copy of the build sheet so I could see "all" of the options on the truck. It has codes for the torsion bars, body lift and what plant it came from. The one item I missed until just now is that it shows a build date of 3/2. I would have to read the bulletin again, but I think it was effective for trucks built thru the end of February. Not knowing what shift was truck was built on, I would say the VIN range goes thru 3/3/06.

#35 ·
My Vin is in the recall range

I gave my service rep at the Chevy dealer the recall number on Tuesday. He said when they pulled up the number it had no information for their dealership and according to the information given to them, the update would not be available until June. I dropped them a copy of the notice and after they did some research, I got a call from the rep. He said they had the programming update and were discussing how and when they were going to implement it.

I decided to call the GMC dealer less than 1/2 mile away. They too knew nothing about the recall, but would look into it. In less than 10min. they called back saying the recall was just a program modification and no parts were involved so just come down anytime and they could do it while I wait.

Called my service rep at the Chevy dealer and told him the GMC dealer response. He said he needed to discuss it with his Manager. In less than 5 min. he called back saying come down anytime and they will do what ever it takes to get this done! Called this afternoon to tell them I had time and was on my way. They had someone waiting for me when I got there. It took all of 20 min. including the paper work. They thanked me for bringing the recall to their attention and asked it there was anything else I was having problems with.

Isn't competition great! I guess I should have asked for a free fill-up for my troubles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.