Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#83 ·
Had mine done this morning, feels like I got about 10 more horsepower and the mileage is better, the trans shifts smoother (if that is possible) and I look better in it.;)

What a deal!!!!!

Rick

#84 ·
Had mine done this morning. Took 30 minutes. Can't tell any difference. Dealer thanked me for relaying the info from this site to him. Thanks guys. I appreciate it as well.

Ed

#85 ·
Glow Plug Module Replacement

I just got the recall notice for my LBZ and I am in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Went to the local dealer and called the customer service assistance here in Mexico only to find out that the computers here are not compatible with programs for vehicles like the LBZ that aren´t sold in Mexico. In other words Í have to drive back to Texas to get the reprogram done. Unbelievable!!!!
The question is, if I have a new updated glow plug module sent from stateside, is it plug and play or does the dealer still have to connect and do some other program changes after new module is installed?

#87 ·
Sorry

I just got the recall notice for my LBZ and I am in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Went to the local dealer and called the customer service assistance here in Mexico only to find out that the computers here are not compatible with programs for vehicles like the LBZ that aren´t sold in Mexico. In other words Í have to drive back to Texas to get the reprogram done. Unbelievable!!!!
The question is, if I have a new updated glow plug module sent from stateside, is it plug and play or does the dealer still have to connect and do some other program changes after new module is installed?
Earlier GP modules are not compatible with programming. If you have never had a check engine light I would pull your glow plugs and see if they are burnt at all. If not, you should forget about the whole thing. You would have to have a GP module that is already programmed sent to you and then perform injector flow rate programming which is required after GP module replacement. Tech 2s and TIS software must also be up to date to be able to perform the latest reprograms such as this one.

#88 ·
Glow Plug Recall

Just picked up my new 2006 LT1 LBZ crew cab duramax about two weeks ago. Everything working great, love the truck, this is my first diesel and I couldn't get over how great it pulled my camper last weekend. The Allison transmission breaking is great and the truck hardly knows my 6500lb camper is back there. Set it on cruise control @ 65 and it never down shifted from 6th gear to 5th gear except on one pretty long / steep hill. Definitely a different world from my gas burner experiences.
I've been reading about the Glow Plug recall, my VIN is within the breadpoint range. I call my dealer / service mgr, and asked them to check GM VIS to see if I need to bring my truck in. The service mgr said that my truck has no recall 's listed, I gave them the recall # 06522 and asked them to double check. My question is this, if GM VIS does not have my truck listed as needing the glow plug control module reprogram, can I rest easy, quit worrying about the problem and assume I'm good to go?

Tom Mims

#90 ·
Called the dealer yesterday and had the work done today. All they wanted to know was the ID number, checked it on the computer and found the recall. Mine was the first one they had done but I was in and out in no time.

#91 ·
Rich,

Thanks, I'll have them check it out with the Tech 2.

Tom

#93 ·
Took mine in to my dealer today as an appt. they had me in and out within an hour. I feel much better now that is completed :D

#94 ·
recall completed

I had an appointment with the dealer on Friday. They fixed my camper mirror and did the recall for the glow plugs with no questions asked. They had been booked so they asked me to leave the truck and it was done by 2:00 pm. On Wednesday I had stopped and asked about the recall they looked my truck up in the system and the recall for the GPCM came up even though I had not received any notification from GM. I got more push back from GM when I had called them the night before to check on the recall than I did from the dealer. They gave me a ride to work and then had someone pick me up.

I am enjoying my truck.

#95 ·
Gcpm Recall???

I've heard of a recall for the 2006 LBZ D/A referred to as a "GCPM" recall. Anyone heared of this and what it is? I just heard about this yesterday (Sat) and the service dept at the dealer was closed. thanks in advance.

Truck on!!!:cool:

#96 ·
Oops!!! Sorry about the post guy's.

I haven't been on the forum in several weeks and posted the above "GPCM" recall question before I read further through the forum. :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh: A thousand pardons.

Truck on!!!:cool:

#99 ·
Your forgiven, this time:lol:

#100 ·
I can't answer that, but I have a silly comment to make.

My LBZ was getting about 13.5 mpg to 14.0 mpg (all city) previous to having the GPM reflashed. After the reflash, I've burned two tanks of diesel fuel from the same Chevron station and my mileage has shot up to a an average of 17.3 mpg. Not only that, but it seems like I have more pure-guts power (as if the stock LBZ needed any more.)

Coincidence? Probably. But I'd like to hear of any of the other DieselPlace Forum members have had the same experience. Just curious.

Steve

#109 ·
I can't answer that, but I have a silly comment to make.

My LBZ was getting about 13.5 mpg to 14.0 mpg (all city) previous to having the GPM reflashed. After the reflash, I've burned two tanks of diesel fuel from the same Chevron station and my mileage has shot up to a an average of 17.3 mpg. Not only that, but it seems like I have more pure-guts power (as if the stock LBZ needed any more.)

Coincidence? Probably. But I'd like to hear of any of the other DieselPlace Forum members have had the same experience. Just curious.

Steve
I'm going in tomorrow and i am currently seeing 12-13 mpg. i would give my left arm to see 15 or 16. i hope it works the same for me.

#101 ·
Recall done

Hi guys.

Just had mine done... Everything fine... Don't "See" any difference... Don't "Feel" any difference... Will check mileage on next refuel.

Truck runs great. (Of course) ):h

#102 ·
I have also noticed an increase in fuel economy. I have only burned threw one tank so far, but i had not reset my MPG counter sinse before my last trailring trip (was arround 11 mpg) i looked at it yesterday and it was arrond 14... must be getting some impressive numbers to have offest the average 3 MPG in only 1 tank. I'll reset and report back... looks like this reprogram is worth the trip down to the stealer!!!

#103 ·
The glow plug control module also contains injector calibration files along with the ECM. If one fails, the truck will use the calibration in the other to keep running until repaired. That is some of the things that make to 06-up harder to add power enhancements to.

#104 ·
It may be that the truck is getting broken in or it may be that it is my imagination or just maybe the glow plug flash update has had a positive effect on my fuel economy by about 1.5 MPG both city and highway. Anyway, I am getting better milage now than I was prior to the update.

Hum?

;)

#105 ·
Summer fuel is hitting the pumps as well so maybe thats it.

#106 ·
Ditto...
Had both recalls done on my '06 LLY, GPCM and general PCM and no change in MPG. We don't get winter blend in Los Angeles.
The recall was issued on 3/24, and I think summer blend starts hitting the pumps around the 1st in the lower lattitudes.

Extended warmup from colder weather, etc.... it's hard to accurately attribute 2-3mpg in just a couple of tanks unless you keep good records.

#108 ·
I have noticed that it feels like more power but my mileage seems to be worse.:(
I haven't run a full tank since the reflash so there could be other things affecting the mileage.

#111 ·
I have noticed it too. I thought maybe it was because I was running on "performance" setting. I don't think we are on summer fuel yet - although it was over 60 here today it was only 25 degrees last night. I had the flash last Friday, then installed the program.

#112 ·
Called my dealer two days ago and set up an appointment after reading this post. Got the recall notice in the mail yesterday. Good work Diesel Place. Thank you.

I have 6500 miles on and no problems. Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.