Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#233 ·
New here but will be a regular from this point on...
My '06 CCSB 4x4 goes in tomorrow AM to have the glow plugs replaced under warranty. My dealer had the truck since January, did the reflash in April and I bought it July 1st but I just recently started getting p0671-0678 codes. They said theyre just gonna replace the GPs under warranty. Ill let everyone know what happens...Mike

Oh, this site ROCKS

#234 ·
Ask them to see the ones that are coming out. If for nothing else than peace of mind.

#236 ·
Another newbie here.......
I just called a dealership by me today they said mine was done before I bought it. Could that be? The stealership I got it from didn't even clean the thing when I picked it up. I wouldn't think they would take the time to do the reflash..........
The guy just asked for the last 8 digits of my truck and then put me on hold for a minute and then came back and said, "yes there is a recall but it has already been done". Hmmmm
Would I be able to notice if they didn't do it? I get a little over 16 mpg on my truck but that is with the H2 wheels on it.................

#237 ·
johnniev57;1437313; said:
....The guy just asked for the last 8 digits of my truck and then put me on hold for a minute and then came back and said, "yes there is a recall but it has already been done". Hmmmm
Stop by the dealer and ask them to give you a print out of their computer system indicating your truck was done.

#238 ·
Dealer stock was SUPPOSED to be updated, but that doesn't mean it was.
There are actually two recalls on the '06 LLY.

Stop in at a different dealership on a slow day (like Wednesday mid-morning) and ask about it. If it was done, it should be in GM's computer, but it wouldn't hurt to ask that they plug it in and verify.

#239 ·
Hello All
I have an 06 dually Purchased new in Nov. 05. I absolutely love the Truck. All it wants to do is Pull. I had the recall on the Glow Plugs taken care last summer and the EGR valve crapped out in October 06., that was repaired. I have 27K miles on the truck and thats pulling a 30' camper. The camper allways has at least two full dresser motorcycles in it and the Truck handles it just fine. To date as i said i am very happy with Truck. I have pulled that camper with the Truck from from Southern New England to Nova Scotia Canada with a single problem. Just adding my two cents thanks for listening.
Ozmindes

#240 ·
2007 Lbz

Is there an issue with the 07 Classic LBZ motor?

#242 ·
Thanks Rich, I really appreciate it. I pick up my 07 classic truck today. Any advice? I don't want to spend a lot of money on extra's that I don't NEED at this point. I am planning on getting an egr blocker and fingerstick and a nicktane filter. Edge chip & Exhaust when the bank account recovers. Any other Necessities?

#243 ·
Im sure this question has been asked, but i didnt see it. If my trucks VIN doesnt fall in between the numbers listed, do i have to get it checked? or should i?
Thanks for the thread on this, helped me alot so far.

#244 ·
smokin139;1749751; said:
Im sure this question has been asked, but i didnt see it. If my trucks VIN doesnt fall in between the numbers listed, do i have to get it checked? or should i?
Thanks for the thread on this, helped me alot so far.
If it doesn't fall in between the numbers you are ok. If you want, take it in for an oil change and ask them to do all of the updates.

#245 ·
Ok thanks, im gonna go in there soon, so ill ask them to do that. Thanks again.

#246 ·
I was at the dealer today to get my radio checked out because it's a wonderfull GM POS cd changer. Then when they got done my check engine light came on and they plugged it in to clear it and it was a glow plug issue and he told me to keep my tuner off ther truck for a little while and see if it pops up again. So Maybe I need to have it done. Mine does fall between the numbers so I'll have them do it when thye install the new cd player. Thanks.

Ryan

#247 ·
The tuner is not going to make a difference... if you've got a CEL and your VIN falls under the recall, get them to do it ASAP.

It's a federal violation for them not to perform a RECALL, especially if they're trying to blame the CEL on the tuner. Glow plug failure will cost THEM a new block.

But make sure that you DO pull the tune before having them do the recall... the recall is an ECU reflash and any downloader programs will be lost.
You can reload later.

#251 ·
Glow Plug Replacement

Made a run for work from Virginia Beach, VA to Grand Rapids, MI. After startup the following morning, wait to start light was staying on longer than usual. CEL came on. Engine ran fine however. I had the control module reflashed immediately after the TSB for the glow plugs was released last year. Finished the job and ran back to VB. Dropped the truck at the dealer. They diagnosed Code P0672, high resistance on #2 Glow Plug. They replaced all eight glow plugs per GM diagnostic. The following diagnosis is from my invoice:

"Diagnose and replace all glow plugs from both banks, #2 Glow Plug has high resistance causing code P0672 for #2 Glow Plug Control Circuit. Check for power to Glow Plug and Control Module, OK. Check resistance of #2 Glow Plug and found over 6 OHMs. Diagnostics says if one Glow Plug out of spec to replace all glow plugs. Replaced all glow plugs. No glow plugs missing pieces of tips or have tips burned off."

They also mentioned that IF the glow plugs had been found to be missing pieces of the tips or had tips burned off, GM requires the heads to be removed for internal inspection. I was glad they didn't have to remove the heads.

The truck has 92,455 miles on it. They didn't charge me for the repair. I don't have an extended warranty. I have bought quite a few vehicles from the commercial sales side of the dealership.

I'm also curious whether anyone knows if the new glow plugs have been redesigned to prevent the burnt tip issue or whether the reflash of the GPCM was the final solution to this problem?

#254 ·
Wonder if this has anything to do with my 2006 glow plug problem Im having right now.
I figure it most likely should have shown up before the 160k I have on it, but you never know.
Replaced the plug, but the CEL is still coming on (after clearing it). Code is the same indicating #4 glow plug.

#255 ·
If you go to the Vin Check section of this website and do a vin check, the report will show if it is required for your unit and if it is required and hasn't been done under the Status column it will say "Open" and if it has been done it will give the date it was done and say "Closed".

++++++++++
Required Field Actions
Open field actions are
highlighted
Type Number
Original
Nbr
Description Release Date Status
Product
Emission Recall
N060522 06522
ENGINE GLOWPLUG SYSTEM CONCERN -
REPROGRAM GLOW PLUG CONTROL MODULE
03/27/2006 Closed

That is the report on my donor truck.

#260 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.