Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#207 ·
I bought my Duramax in January and still haven't had the recall service. I plan on taking it in Monday morning. Have I damaged anything by not having it done yet? It has 3000 miles on it.

#210 ·
Allimax;1229417; said:
I just bought my truck two weeks ago. Since the recall was already in place should I assume the dealer took care of this for me.
I say no! Assume nothing at a stealership. If they did not take care of it you could be out of your new truck for weeks waiting on a rebuild when a piece of broken off glow plug shells the motor.

#212 ·
Well I took my truck in to the dealer and even though my vin falls within the vin beakpoints I was told it didn't need the reprogram. When I asked why they said a VIS was run and come up clear. I called GM and after about 45 minutes on the phone they told me the same. They said that not all the trucks between the numbers on the list will require the upgrade and mine didn't. Then I was told to run it and if I have a problem then bring it back in. Right now I'm at 7100 on the odm and so far so good. Also mileage is not bad either 16.8 in town and 19.6 highway going about 80-85

#213 ·
Recall

Just got mine done on Saturday.

#214 ·
4rotorCorvette;1026833;1026833 said:
I did my own reprogram on Saturday. There is no difference in the truck's behavior, as the GP light never comes on and it didn't before either. The reprogram doesn't eliminate them, just "improves their operation". The knocking sound we hear at idle is the oil pressure slapping against the side of the engine. It has baffled and worried a lot of people although it's normal and does no harm.

The LBZ is beast. I really love the way it runs and sounds. I estimate mine has 400 rear wheel horsepower and all it has is an Airaid intake and an MBRP catless exhaust with the BD Power Pup on Tow/Economy (!!).
We are getting 18 mpg in the city !!!
Hey 4rotor,
When you did the reprogram did it affect the Bully Dog program? Or is it two completely different things? I run the BD Pup on econo also but I'm only getting about 16 - 17 mpg and I don't hotrod it. I wonder if I took it to the dealer with the Bully Dog program running could they reprogram the module without disturbing BD?

#215 ·
Remove the program before taking the truck to the dealer for any reason... any dealer reflash will wipe out your program and leave your programmer locked out. Even if you're going in for an oil change, a TSB or recall may surface that you weren't aware of and a decent dealer will take care of it while you're there. They'll mention it to you, but at that point it's a little uncomfortable to have to say "Hold on, let me plug my little black box in for a minute..." :)

After my reflash, my programmer reported "Part number not found"... an update downloaded from BullyDog took care of it.

#220 ·
I had mine reflashed today. Before the reflash my light would stay on for 13-15 seconds and nothing changed. I am a new diesel owner, but this seems excessive. My dealer said everything was operating as intended. Does this sound odd to anyone else?

#221 ·
That does sound excessive.
Longest mine has EVER been on is about 5 seconds, and that was after sitting for 24 hours and ambient temps were in the 50s.

With ambient temps in the 70s or 80s, the light does not come on at ALL if the truck has been driven within 8-10 hours.

#222 ·
Abugarcia;1331494; said:
I had mine reflashed today. Before the reflash my light would stay on for 13-15 seconds and nothing changed. I am a new diesel owner, but this seems excessive. My dealer said everything was operating as intended. Does this sound odd to anyone else?
What's the outside temperature??? Mine doesn't even turn on unless its under 80 outside, and the most its been on is probably 2-3 seconds. But then its yet to go below 67 here either.

#223 ·
Most morning its around 50 degrees out. After I drove my truck home from the dealer yesterday, I shut the engine off and cycled the key forward and the light stayed on for 13 seconds. The chime only lasts 5 seconds but the light stays on much longer.

I only have 2800 miles on the truck but I don't see why that would adversly impact wait times.

Do you guys think I need a new module?

#224 ·
recall

I am supposedly on the recall list but am in Mexico so no way to get back to the states to do the flash. When I first brought the truck down here new was back in January when we have below 70º mornings. Then it came on for max 2 seconds. Now in the summer with 84º plus mornings it never comes on at all.

#225 ·
Abugarcia;1333603; said:
Most morning its around 50 degrees out. After I drove my truck home from the dealer yesterday, I shut the engine off and cycled the key forward and the light stayed on for 13 seconds. The chime only lasts 5 seconds but the light stays on much longer.

I only have 2800 miles on the truck but I don't see why that would adversly impact wait times.

Do you guys think I need a new module?
That definately doesn't sound right. I'd try a different dealer.

#226 ·
:iamwithst
It should not come on AT ALL after you've run the truck up to operating temperature even if it's 40 below.

You are getting a chime with yours? I'm not... just the light.

You don't have a check engine light, do you? Maybe run it to Autozone and see if there are any stored codes.

#227 ·
RichLockyer;1333831; said:
:iamwithst
It should not come on AT ALL after you've run the truck up to operating temperature even if it's 40 below.

You are getting a chime with yours? I'm not... just the light.

You don't have a check engine light, do you? Maybe run it to Autozone and see if there are any stored codes.

Yeah I have a chime for the fist 5 seconds after I turn the key and the light stays on for 13 seconds. Just to make sure, the wait to start light is the check engine light during startup right? It consistantly goes off 13 seconds after key on and I never see it while I am driving.

#228 ·
Abugarcia;1334021; said:
Yeah I have a chime for the fist 5 seconds after I turn the key and the light stays on for 13 seconds. Just to make sure, the wait to start light is the check engine light during startup right? It consistantly goes off 13 seconds after key on and I never see it while I am driving.
No, the wait to start light is to the left of the cel. It it three squigly (sp?) lines that look like a heating element.

#229 ·
The chime is probably because your seatbelt isn't fastened yet.

The CEL is normal until the engine is actually running... I'll look at mine when I leave in a few minutes and see if it goes off by itself.

It sounds like your truck is normal. The GPCM activity light is a small "coil" symbol next to the CEL.

#230 ·
Thanks for the assistance. I guess my salesmen really didn't know what he was talking about. It is a relief to know I don't have any problems though.

#231 ·
I normally start the engine as soon as the WTS light is off, but this morning I turned the key on and just watched it.

WTS was off in less than 3 seconds.
Padlock (security) was off in about 5 or 10 seconds.
CEL went dark after at least 13-15 seconds.

I haven't had any chimes at all since installing my aftermarket stereo.

Sounds like your truck is normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.