Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#175 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back with what happened to my truck. All good news though. Even though all 8 glow plugs were bad.... none of them had the tips melted off. Replaced the GP's, reflashed the computer and the GP module and the truck is running as good as (maybe even better) than new. All of that stressing over nothing.
Now my damn 4X4 light doesn't come on though. That's why I'm back on here though.

Later
Steve

#176 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back with what happened to my truck. All good news though. Even though all 8 glow plugs were bad.... none of them had the tips melted off. Replaced the GP's, reflashed the computer and the GP module and the truck is running as good as (maybe even better) than new. All of that stressing over nothing.
Now my damn 4X4 light doesn't come on though. That's why I'm back on here though.

Later
Steve
I got my truck back last week. Now it sounds like there is an exhaust leak. I took it to another dealer and he couldn't hear it until it warmed up. Their tech stuck his head in there but could not determine where the noise was coming from although he did not think it was an exhaust leak. The service writer told me to drive it for a few weeks and see what happens. Whatever...

#177 ·
My dealer wants 2 hours to do it while I wait. He says that's how long it takes to program the truck.

#179 ·
BS
45 minutes max.

Call Rancho Valley Chevy in Pomona at the 71 at Rio Rancho near the 60.
I walked in unannounced (holding my printout from mygmlink.com) and total downtime was less than 90 minutes.
Stay away from MK Smith in Chino, the last time they had my truck they ran my front bumper into the wall, (I've got an SS facia on my truck). Yeah, they fixed it and a ding in my hood and did a terrible job, they got overspray on my wheels and windshield, had runs on the edges of the hood. I had to polish out my wheels and claybar my windshield. They said that they'd fix it, but I don't want to take it there again to their body shop - bad news!

When one of the kids on the street dings it with a baseball or I get another rock thrown at me from our wonderful freeways (gravel trucks) here in So. Cal., I'll take it to a good body shop here in San Dimas.

#180 ·
Ya... years ago I got nailed in the right fender in my '94 Toyota p/u (that I bought from MK).
They masked over the OEM striping tape and repainted the fender, leaving a very noticeable ridge at the edge of the tape and making it forever impossible to remove the factory striping.

The horn they installed lasted a grand total of 3 seconds and then nothing.
Checked power, no problem, not the fuse. Replaced the stock "toot toot" with a set from a Mercedes.

#181 ·
I had the reflash done in April with no problems, towed my trailer 1500 miles since then. Today the check engine light came on, drove it to same dealer. He says he has seen this happen to a few trucks after the reprogram, some kind of ECM timing module thing-a-ma-jig. He drove it back to pull the code, tech said he knew what to do. Waited 1/2 hour and it was fixed, don't know what exactly they did, I'll check the paperwork later but I doubt it says much. Anybody else had to take theirs back after the first reflash? Oh yeah, it's an 06 LLY/Allison.

Bill.

#182 ·
Thanks For The Heads Up

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just bought my truck 13 days ago and I saw this post and sure enough my VIN fell in the range listed. Called my dealer Saturday and he verified that my truck does have the recall so I am scheduled for service tomorrow morning.

I am curious why it wasn't fixed before I bought it since it looks like this has been known since at least as early as March of this year. Oh, well, at least it will be fixed tomorrow.

I am leaving this Friday for Myrtle Beach with a 27' TT so it is good to know that this will taken care of before the trip. Wouldn't have been possible without this forum so thanks a bunch.

#183 ·
OK. Had mine done yesterday, they marked it as Recall 06522 Reprograrm Glow Plugs. It took about an hour but they also did another recall 05086 Power Steering Hose. I sure feel better now that it's done.

#188 ·
Just want to say thanks to this forum. I purchased an 06 LBZ on July 4, joined this forum the same day, and found the information about the glow plugs. My truck had been on the dealer's lot for awhile, and my VIN fell within the recall. Took back the truck on July 5, and the dealer was apologetic for not doing the reprogram in advance. They had me in and out in 45 minutes.

#200 ·
Done today! No Sweat.

#205 ·
Same here...check light came on the other day then went off. I thougth it was because of my exhaust setup, but I better check my vin tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.