Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#144 ·
Called Woodfield Chevorlet Thursday morning, set up appt for Friday 7:30. They took the truck at 7:45 and I was on the road by 8:15. I love it. That is how service should be.

Great service this time and I am glad GM got on the recall ASAP. That is how it should be also.

#150 ·
Made an appointment for the recall after getting my letter for the next day. Got the truck back 1.5 days after that. Good thing I didn't wait for it.

#153 ·
been getting 12-14 from day 1 and still getting 12-14 after reflash. no trailer no load just my fat a$$ to and from work

#152 ·
Are you joking, or do you seriously think the reflash affected your mileage?
It has nothing to do with performance or economy. Any time you reset the ave. mileage you will get a drastically different result. Only break in and modifications can affect your mileage. Sounds familiar, I was getting 14 mpg @ 1500 miles, now getting 18 mpg @ 7000 miles. Hope to hit 20 mpg by 20k miles.

#154 ·
I had mine reflashed last Friday at the dealer I purchased it from in Pa. and towed my Jayco 5th wheel {7300 lbs. dry}to stay at a campground close by and got 11.6 mpg going and 11.6 mpg coming back today.

#155 ·
I just got my recall notice in the mail today. I had my truck reprogramed about 3 weeks ago. This time I felt like I had one up on GM, thanks to this websites great info about the glow plug issue.

:grd:

#158 ·
Mine was done yesterday, dealer said they had to do an update to their system which caused it to take longer. Was at the dealer about 90 minutes.

Didn't notice any difference in how anything works on the 25 mile drive home.

#160 ·
Got Mine Done This Morning

I must have been the first recall at my dealer too. The dealer said it took a while to get the program downloaded into their programmer. I was there two hours. Likewise, I have not noticed any difference.

#159 · (Edited)
Do I have to return to stock?

Just got my recall in the mail yesterday, the question is I have the Bullydog Power Pup programmer and have it set to level 2...Do I or Should I return the truck back to stock mode and give it a couple of weeks to clear the memory before I bring it in?

#161 ·
Do I or Should I return the truck back to stock mode and give it a couple of weeks to clear the memory before I bring it in?
You should definitely return the truck to the stock programming just in case. I see no reason to let any memory clear before you have this work performed. Just remove the BD program and you should be good to go.

#163 ·
Had mine done tuesday. I am in Florida so i doubt there is any wnter fuel issue and i was getting 16.9 before and just 17.1 with the tank after reflash. So really no difference.

#164 ·
update on my previous post... i brought in my truck for the tonneau cover and nerf bar installed. i asked the sevrvice consultant about the reacall. he entered the trucks VIN# and said there are no recalls for my VIN#. So this must mean my truck was reprogrammed from the factory?

#167 · (Edited)
Hope it's not dead.

Ok... about 2 months ago my "wait to start" light came on at 75mph headin down the interstate. Didn't think much of it when it came on then about 10 seconds later I pulled over and cycled the key. Haven't seen it since.
This morning I was reading the forums, seen this post and realized I should take it in for the recall (guess I didn't get my mailer). After my call to the dealer to set up an appointment, I jump in my truck and start it. What the hell happens?!?! Check Engine Light comes on. Checked codes with my Bully Dog programmer and I have a p0401 (EGR), and p0671 through 678. All my damn glowplugs have a circuit failure. WTF? I was just a mile away from the dealer so I bring it in and drop it off. They act like no big thing... start it up and drive it right in. Oh well.... They gave me a car and told me they would have glowplugs in a couple days (another WTF?)

I'll chime in later when I get some more info. I just hope I'm not going to be added to the small list of engine teardown nightmares that I am hearing about.

P.S. Is this typical for a GM dealer not to have Glow Plugs for this thing. Is it a new plug for the LBZ or does my dealer have to put an order in for toilet paper every time they wipe their ***?

Later Mangs
Steve

Oh... build 11/05 with 10,200 miles on it.

#168 ·
My Story:

I called my dealer, a Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Pontiac GMC dealer (why this is important later), last week about the recall. They had not heard about it. They said they could do it next week which was yesterday. Dropped it off yesterday morning for the recall and an oil change. Picked it up yesterday and everything seems fine.

This morning I get in the truck and turn the key. I see the glow plug light on the dash light up and wait and wait and wait.... wtf. I turned the ignition off. This just isn't right. It has to be 70% in the garage. Try again, same thing so I start it. The Glow Plug Light goes off but the CEL stays on.

Anyway, I drive it to the dealer and he said he would check it out. I went and talked to my salesman and he loaned me his car. A good thing about a Cadillac dealer - customer service. The bad thing is these guys don't sell to many diesel trucks.

The service manager called a little while ago and said they removed all of the glow plugs and they are worn. Luckily none of them broke off and shelled the motor. They will have to be replaced. Great, now I will be driving a rental over the weekend. I hope the rental agency likes turkey blood in the back seat :) Turkey hunting started this week.

My question is, could they have done something to the programming to screw it up. They admit they don't work on a lot of diesels. Great service but...

#169 ·
Oh.... no more crappy experience stories. It just makes me sit here and worry as I wait for my truck. Atleast I got a car to drive but this damn malibu is going to look funny when I try to use it to pull my 24ft box trailer this weekend with a 4300lb Impala stuffed in the back of it.:(

#170 ·
I have a '06 Chevy LBZ 2500HD and got a recall letter from GM stating I need to take it in. I didn't read into this thread as it has way too much info in it for me. So my question is, do I take it in? If so, just let them take care of it or do I need to specify something to them about the reflashing? I don't have any problems as of right now, do I take it in anyway?

#171 ·
I went and picked up my "rental" tonight. They gave me a blazer... at least it wasn't a Mailbu :) When the rental guy was walking me around the car my salesman walked by and joked - for the kind of money you spent with me they should have put you in a cadilac. Ha!ha!ha!

The service manager did show me a glow plug that came out of my truck. It looked like it was ready to crack. I'm wondering if the short amount of time it was on this morning did that damage or did I just get lucky and the cel came on at the right time.

Oh well, I'm driving the suv :( this weekend. Hopefully GM will expidite the new glow plugs.

#173 ·
Had reprogram done yesterday. I noticed this morning that the dash "coil" light illuminated for only about one second. Before it was on for approximately 3 seconds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.