Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#113 ·
I'm currently getting 11-12 mpg using tow/haul w/ 15,000 lbs all the time. I'm scheduled for the reflash on Wednesday and I'll compare calculated mileage the following week. We are also switching to summer fuel here in Oregon.
Cheers

#114 · (Edited)
hmm, my LBZ vin# ends with 6f219930... it doesn't fall within the recall vin#s. Does that mean my car is OK? on a side note i've got 888 miles on it and it averages 15.9 MPG. calculated by myself, not by the on board computer.

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

#116 ·
We picked the truck up on 3/30 the truck had just arrived on the dealer lot on 3/24. We were waiting on a custom order truck but this one came up at another dealer and we got it! I'll ask the service dept. when we get our tonneau cover installed.

#118 ·
What is your VIN#? Perhaps if you brought them a VIS showing the open campaign they will perform it. They should have ran a VIS to verify the campaign when you inquired about it. The notice you might get in the mail is not required.

#119 ·
VIN is 6F101217, so it definitely falls within the range. Problem is, everyone tells me that they're waiting for parts (b.s.), wait till you get the notice in the mail, it doesn't start until 6/24, we haven't had anyone else come in for that... and the list goes on.
I've cantacted every dealer within 50 miles of here and it has been the same response from all of them. Even went to the Med. Duty dealer- same results.

#120 ·
And this is all total B.S. Here's what I would do, copy/paste the bulletin in this thread into a word.doc, print it out and physically take it to the dealer and plant both feet on top of the service managers desk (arrest may follow) until they do it. It takes all of about 30 mins and no parts are req'd.

I cant believe how many dealers are refusing to do this simple program update!! They must be "knuckle heads".

#121 ·
had the re-flash done today at a dealer near me (not he dealer i purchased the truck at either, That dealer is an hour and half drive from me).

the service writer that made the appointment for me tried to send me to their truck center on a different date couldn't get it in at the truck center today (he didn't realize it was a diesel dually. wander how many GP re-flashes they are doing on new Envoy's:lol: ). after a talk with the service manager he said it would be no problem for them to do the re-flash there (after all its just a program that is uploaded from a tech2). now I'm on my way again.

we will see if i get any better gas mileage. I sure hope i do. other wise this truck is going to traded.

#124 ·
Yeah I called my dealer today about mine and he said he hasnt heard of such a thing. Then I told him to look up my vin and wow there it was. They cant get to it this week, but I will have it done on next Monday.

#125 ·
I drove into my dealer today and had it done in 20 minutes without even pulling into the garage. The tech didn't even open the hood.
It would seem that if anything was wrong with the truck it might have taken longer.
Truck is running great so far. Cheers

#127 ·
Got my 06 2500 done today, Completed in 30 minutes. The truck has 1000 miles now, everything seems the same, running great!

#131 ·
i was wondering the same thing, mine seemed to have a little less power after the reprogram. maybe a tech can chime in and let me now if its possible to lower the horsepower output somehow using that tech2 inst.
on a LBZ engine, thanks for any info.

#132 ·
regarding perceived loss of power after reprogramming

I had the reprogram done on the truck and it SEEMS noticably slower. I am very skeptical about any loss of power because:

1. As a GM tech I am not aware of any detuning or loss of power
2. It is very likely that I am "used" to the truck's power
3. I own other faster vehicles (daily drive a 13 second Syclone)

To satisfy my curiosity(/paranoia), I will have to take it to the drag strip to see some real numbers. My truck has run 15.1 @ 86 mph stock and it currently has a full exhaust and Bully Dog on "Economy" setting. In my opinion if it runs a high 14 then something may be wrong but not too bad, mid 14s would be a great result, and if it runs low 14s (very very unlikely), then I am full of crap and need to let my Wife have her truck back.

Will keep posted, I wouldn't worry about it too much or else it could be the next wave of rumors and fears like the glow plug deal. I think we're just getting used to our trucks. (I will check the injector balance though ;) )

#134 ·
Well maybe this could be my imagination running away, but my trucks acceleration seems to be more responsive since the GPCM reprogram. Not faster, just better response from the accelerator pedal. :think:

#136 ·
Once again there is no direct way to affect horsepower or performance from the Tech 2. It allows us to program the various modules. I could imagine affecting performance if the transmission shift program was recaliberated or perhaps fuel delivery in the Powertrain Control Module, but the Glow Plug Control Module only affects glow plug operation. I can't see it having an effect on performance after the truck is fully warmed up.

#137 ·
the gpcm also has a copy of the injector mapping in it, but i think the ecm will throw a code if its mapping doesn't match the gpcm.

#140 ·
I must say at least GM is on top of it..Ive had my '06 less than a month and I got a recall notice in the mail today on the GPCM. Woulda been even better if they could have done the reflash during my PDI. Oh well at least they were quick to get the paperwork out to me.

#146 ·
If the glow plugs were damaged, you would see a CEL/MIL light.
The damage would impact the current draw, which would throw a code.

4rotor... which tune level are you going to try?

Here's my '06 LLY on Performance:

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/dyno.jpg
Cool, thanks for posting that sheet. I don't mean to hijack this thread so I will start my own regarding the dyno and the truck nationals I plan on competing in on the 23rd. Hopefully I can make 350 on Economy since the difference in the LLY/LBZ output is about the same as the difference between the Economy and Performance settings.

Back to the topic, I never bothered to check my glow plugs because I never got a related code (also I'm too lazy). The video I saw at work advised to remove and check plugs if a plug code was thown, and disassemble engine if the head was found missing. Remember also that differrent codes are thrown for differnt types of plug failures.

#142 ·
Got my "recall" today, had it done a while ago but nice to see a fast notice on GM's part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.