Diesel Place banner

LBZ Glow plug recall. Please read before posting

154K views 259 replies 126 participants last post by  blkdmax05 
#1 · (Edited)
OK Guys, this is the official LBZ Glow Plug Recall. Please read this before starting any new threads about LBZ Glow Plugs. There are many, many threads already posted concerning glow plugs. Please use the search feature to locate information, rather than cluttering up the forum with redundant questions and concerns. Thanks, The Staff:)

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction

See less See more
#36 ·
Forgot

Thanks for the printout Max, :hail:

Tom

#40 ·
Like the shirt

Hey Max,
with all of the glow plug woes going on, I thought I would just tell you how much I love the T shirt pic. What a rack. Anyway, I'm in turmoil with my truck out of town with my business partner, and the glow plug light on. He is trying to get it looked at in Myrtle Beach today. the pic made me smile as it does everytime i see one of your posts.

#41 ·
I just saw one torn down , the head was on the bench with 2 GP out , I looked at the head/piston and cylinder as well as I could and saw no damage , it was a Brand new truck still had the stickers on it so I don't know the miles and the salesman did not either ,it was sooty on the piston and valves and no marks or anything in the soot so where ever the tips went it was not too ugly on that one, They were updating my new one as I was seeing this one , I sure hope the update is the end of this problem!

#42 ·
NEW BULLETIN ! as of 03/28/06

Document ID# 1802153
2006 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD

Subject:Diesel Engine Glow Plug Trouble Codes - keywords calibration circuit glowplug GPCM hard indicator LBZ LLY module multiple P064C P0671 P0672 P0673 P0674 P0675 P0676 P0677 P0678 program programming SES #PIP3586C - (03/28/2006)

Models:2006 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado
2006 GMC Savanna, Sierra, TopKick
Equipped with the 6.6 (RPO - LBZ or LLY) Duramax Diesel Engine

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1802153&psdid=1233&evc=sm#ss1-1802153">Condition/Concern:

A vehicle may be brought into the dealer with the SES light on and multiple cylinder glow plug DTCs set. Multiple glow plug DTCs may be caused by internal opens in the glow plugs. There are two different descriptions for an internal open in a glow plug. A fast open glow plug is a plug with an internal open circuitry, but no visual damage to the tip of the plug. A slow open glow plug is a plug that has internal open circuitry, and the tip of the plug is missing or damaged.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1802153&psdid=1233&evc=sm#ss2-1802153">Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or DTCs found. If the diagnostics for P0671-P0678 led to a glow plug resistance of more than 1 ohm, replace all of the glow plugs. If any of the glow plug tips are missing, the cylinder head must be removed. All debris needs to be removed from the cylinder. When the tip of the glow plug enters the cylinder, engine damage may occur. Make any engine mechanical repairs as needed.
  1. <LI type=1>A loose battery feed connection at the starter, alternator, or the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) may induce glow plug concerns. When the starter, alternator, or GPCM battery feed circuit has a poor connection, the GPCM will sense a voltage fluctuation, and induce the GPCM to power up the glow plugs. Untimed GPCM cycling may cause glow plug concerns. Inspect the connections at the starter, alternator, and both ends of the battery feed cable to the GPCM. Connector C1 terminal 1 at the GPCM is a quick disconnect type of connector. Make sure terminal fit is clean and tight and the quick disconnect is seated properly. The source or main power feed location differs depending on the vehicle being serviced. On GMT800 C/K model trucks, the power feed stud is located in the Under Hood Bussed Electrical Center (UBEC). To access this power feed stud, the secondary UBEC cover has to be removed. On GMT610 "G" vans inspect the underhood junction block connection. On GMT560 4500/5500 trucks inspect the secondary fuse block connection. <LI type=1>There are other electrical scenarios that can induce glow plug concerns. If the glow plug system senses a certain electrical "noise" on the power feed, the glow plugs may also go open. This electrical "noise" may be induced by jump starting, disconnecting the batteries with the ignition in the ON position, or a battery charger being used during a module reprogramming event. <LI type=1>If the glowplug DTCs have set on a very low mileage vehicle (below 1000 miles) the glowplugs may have been damaged by the engine start up test conducted at the engine assembly plant. <LI type=1>Do not replace the GPCM for all 8 internal opened glow plugs. GPCMs have been returned and inspected with no problem found.
  2. Complete all electrical circuit inspections and engine repairs as described above. After necessary repairs are completed, update the calibration in the GPCM. (See campaign 06522) Install the new GPCM software, and complete Fuel Injector Flow Rate Programming following SI procedures.
Note: Add-on remote starter or alarm kits must be removed before any glowplugs are replaced. Interruptions to normal starting procedures may induce glowplug concerns.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1802153

#43 ·
Looks like GM is blaming the failed glowplug problem on add-on (aftermarket) remote starter and alarm kits. It appears as if they are laying down the ground work to start denying warranty repairs if these kits are installed? I wonder what the response might be from these aftermarket companies.

#44 ·
You may be right. On the other hand, I wonder how many trucks with broken glow plugs didn't have any add-ons. Mine was bone stock. Time will tell...Carmine

#47 ·
Took my truck in this morning for the recall and the service advisor asked me if I had been having any problems with the glow plugs. I told him no but I wanted to get the reprogram done. On the work order he put customer request recall 06522, reprogram pcm per GM. At first I thought he was going to tell me if I wasn't having any problems that they would not do the recall. I told him that I didn't want to get out on my 6000 mile vacation trip and have my truck malfunction. He agreed and said that they would take care of it. They also replaced the front differential autuator. It had been leaking some fluid for months. I am glad to get that work done and it eases my mind. I would have to say that dealership so far has been extremely nice and easy to deal with.

#48 ·
Took my truck in this morning for the recall and the service advisor asked me if I had been having any problems with the glow plugs. I told him no but I wanted to get the reprogram done. On the work order he put customer request recall 06522, reprogram pcm per GM. At first I thought he was going to tell me if I wasn't having any problems that they would not do the recall. I told him that I didn't want to get out on my 6000 mile vacation trip and have my truck malfunction. He agreed and said that they would take care of it. They also replaced the front differential autuator. It had been leaking some fluid for months. I am glad to get that work done and it eases my mind. I would have to say that dealership so far has been extremely nice and easy to deal with.
bigr, so it does say program power control module on your work performed copy.

#49 ·
Yes it said: CUSTOMER REQUEST RECALL 06522
REPROGRAM PCM PER GM

I forgot to mention earlier that the service manager asked me if I had got anything in the mail about the recall and I said no. I was afraid that he was going to turn me down. I told him that I had read alot on the internet about the recall and he acted impressed. I guess he thought this guy has been doing his homework, we better do something. As far as I know my truck was the first one to get reprogrammed at that dealership.

Once again guys thanks for the heads up on this glow plug issue. If I had not read it on this forum I would have not found later until GM sent out a recall notice. That might have been too late. :eek:

#50 ·
Yes it said: CUSTOMER REQUEST RECALL 06522
REPROGRAM PCM PER GM

I forgot to mention earlier that the service manager asked me if I had got anything in the mail about the recall and I said no. I was afraid that he was going to turn me down. I told him that I had read alot on the internet about the recall and he acted impressed. I guess he thought this guy has been doing his homework, we better do something. As far as I know my truck was the first one to get reprogrammed at that dealership.

Once again guys thanks for the heads up on this glow plug issue. If I had not read it on this forum I would have not found later until GM sent out a recall notice. That might have been too late. :eek:
Thanks bigr, im new to diesels and i had mine reprogramed today, i also had to educate the dealer on this hole recall deal- he was unaware of the recall but took care of me without having any notice from gm.

#53 ·
My service ticket states that the GPCM was reprogrammed per Doc#1797239. I don't think the tech checked the battery, starter, and GPCM connections in the short time the truck was there. (20-30 minutes max) I'm thinking most of the owners that have been reporting their GPCM reprogramming is complete were also missing the wiring checks.

My question: Is it possible the reflash will address glow plug cycling concerns caused by loose wires/voltage fluctuations? (now or future) If not, are we really out of harms way with just the reflash?

Another question: Does anyone know the contents of Doc# 1797239?

#68 ·
My service ticket states that the GPCM was reprogrammed per Doc#1797239. I don't think the tech checked the battery, starter, alternator, and GPCM connections in the short time the truck was there. (20-30 minutes max) I'm thinking most of the owners that have been reporting their GPCM reprogramming is complete were also missing the wiring checks.

My question: Is it possible the reflash will address glow plug cycling concerns caused by loose wires/voltage fluctuations? (now or future) If not, are we really out of harms way with just the reflash?

Another question: Does anyone know the contents of Doc# 1797239?
Am I the only one concerned about this? If you closely read paragraph 1. in 4rotorCorvett's post #42 it directly state the concern mentioned above. It even goes on to say that jump starting a vehicle can cause glow plug failure. :eek: Just curious if the reflash addresses these potential problems or is it just a 1/2 fix.....It seems unlikely that the techs are checking for loose wires during this recall......

#57 ·
brand new - as of yesterday

Document ID# 1807645

Subject:Glow Plug Control module Programming - keywords calibration GPCM LLY program programming SPS #PIP3565A - (03/31/2006)

Models:2006 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado
2006 GMC Savanna, Sierra, TopKick
Equipped with the 6.6 Duramax Diesel Engine (RPO code LBZ and LLY)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1807645&psdid=1233&evc=sm#ss1-1807645">Condition/Concern:

A dealer may have the need to replace a Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) on a 2006 Model Year 6.6L diesel equipped vehicle.
This information was originally written to advise dealers TIS2000/Tech 2 software did not support GPCM programming.
GPCMs were shipped with a base calibration and operated without SPS programming.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1807645&psdid=1233&evc=sm#ss2-1807645">Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If diagnostics have led to a GPCM replacement, or there is a need to update the GPCM calibrations, the module can be programmed using normal SPS programming. The Tech 2 software may or may not show the current version of software that is in the GPCM. Engineering is investigating the Tech 2 software, and the ability to read current version calibration numbers. At this time calibrate the GPCM, if the GPCM has the newest software, the Tech 2 will show a message stating the vehicle has already been updated.
Note:: If the GPCM is replaced, complete the SI procedures for "Fuel Injector Flow Rate Programming."
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Document ID# 1807645

#58 ·
Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If diagnostics have led to a GPCM replacement, or there is a need to update the GPCM calibrations, the module can be programmed using normal SPS programming. The Tech 2 software may or may not show the current version of software that is in the GPCM. Engineering is investigating the Tech 2 software, and the ability to read current version calibration numbers. At this time calibrate the GPCM, if the GPCM has the newest software, the Tech 2 will show a message stating the vehicle has already been updated.
So does this mean:

1) If you don't have any codes, then the dealer won't reprogram?

or

2) Even if you don't have codes, the dealer is required to reprogram?

and,

3) Can the Tech2 even tell if my truck is already updated?

I'm confused. It sounds like the bulletin is saying it's a mandatory recalibration of the GPCM.

"At this time calibrate the GPCM, if the GPCM has the newest software, the Tech 2 will show a message stating the vehicle has already been updated."

I'd sure like to know, since my truck sits at the dealer right now. My VIN is after the range stated, but it seems like GM is nnot sure of what's gone on with the glow plug problem, and want to recalibrate everyone.

Yes? No?

#59 ·
Never showed any codes, ran fine! Took it to the stealer yesterday took the tech about 20 min. to reprogram. This is a great web site, I knew about the recall from reading it from the diesel place well before being notified from GM
Thanks to all !!!

#62 ·
I had mine done and i notice that the glow plug indicator does not come on anymore?I think this re-flash eliminates the glow plug completely..

If thats true then this wont be a problem for me here in florida,but what about the guy's in the colder states that need it??

#64 ·
Mine too.

#66 ·
good news

I did my own reprogram on Saturday. There is no difference in the truck's behavior, as the GP light never comes on and it didn't before either. The reprogram doesn't eliminate them, just "improves their operation". The knocking sound we hear at idle is the oil pressure slapping against the side of the engine. It has baffled and worried a lot of people although it's normal and does no harm.

The LBZ is beast. I really love the way it runs and sounds. I estimate mine has 400 rear wheel horsepower and all it has is an Airaid intake and an MBRP catless exhaust with the BD Power Pup on Tow/Economy (!!).
We are getting 18 mpg in the city !!!

#67 ·
The LBZ is beast. I really love the way it runs and sounds. I estimate mine has 400 rear wheel horsepower and all it has is an Airaid intake and an MBRP catless exhaust with the BD Power Pup on Tow/Economy (!!).
There is some debate over the power levels on the Bully Dog. My '06 LLY put 350 to the rear wheels on Performance, and some of the more knowledgable guys are saying that the '06 LLY and LBZ end up at the same level (BullyDog isn't too clear)

I would be VERY interested in seeing dyno results on your truck run on Performance on a Mustang dyno.

#71 ·
Thanks Richer.
Just wanted to be sure all bases were covered for everyone involved. From a personal standpoint I had applied removable lock-tite to my connections a couple months back when all this started so I know these connections are well secured. I am curious to know if they addressed voltage surges in general (Jump starting and remote starters were mentioned) I would think the reprogram at least involved some sort of ladder logic change that placed a wider limit on surge induced activations of the module. It would be hell to have to pull heads on an engine after undergoing a simple jump start. Hopefully they addressed these potential issues but it would be nice to know the details of the module update.

Still not sure about the contents of GM Doc # 1797239. May be an earlier verson of Doc# 1802153. Maybe one of the techs can post a copy.

#76 · (Edited)
Thanks Richer.

Still not sure about the contents of GM Doc # 1797239. May be an earlier verson of Doc# 1802153. Maybe one of the techs can post a copy.
Any other requests?

Document ID# 1797239

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Product Emission-Engine Glow Plug System Concern-Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module #06522 - (03/24/2006)

Models: 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO, EXPRESS, KODIAK

2006 GMC SIERRA, SAVANA, TOPKICK

EQUIPPED WITH 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY

Condition
Certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

Correction
Dealers are to reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM).

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; and 2006 GMC Sierra, Savana, Topkick model trucks equipped with a 6.6L V8 (RPO LLY - VIN 2 or RPO LBZ - VIN D) Duramax Diesel engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Chevrolet
Silverado
6E100002
6E232880

6F100001
6F218045

Chevrolet
Express

Chevrolet
Kodiak
6F400002
6F422129

GMC
Sierra
6E100003
6E232523

6F100002
6F216758

GMC
Savana

GMC
TopKick
6F400010
6F904910

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

-- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US GM - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian GM - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

-- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.

Parts Information
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers are programmed into Control Modules via a Techline Tech 2 scan tool and the Techline Information System (TIS) 2000 terminal with the calibration update. Use data version 3.5 for 2006 or later, broadcast to dealers, and available on TIS2WEB, March 19, 2006 (US), March 22, 2006 (Canada); and on TIS CD-ROM version 4.0 / 2006, which will be mailed to dealers by April 18, 2006. To complete this service procedure, the Tech 2® must also be updated to release 26.002 or greater. If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 (English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided.

Service Procedure
Glow Plug Control Module Reprogramming

Notice: Before reprogramming, please check the battery condition to prevent a reprogram error of the Glow Plug Control Module due to battery discharge. If the vehicle battery is not fully charged, ensure that it is fully charged prior to performing the reprogramming procedure.

The ignition switch must be in the proper position. The Tech 2 prompts you to turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. DO NOT change the position of the ignition switch during the programming procedure, unless instructed to do so.

Make certain all tool connections are secure, including the following components and circuits:

• The RS-232 communication cable port

• The connection at the data link connector (DLC)

• The voltage supply circuits

DO NOT disturb the tool harnesses while programming. If an interruption occurs during the programming procedure, programming failure or control module damage may occur.

DO NOT turn OFF the ignition if the programming procedure is interrupted or unsuccessful. Ensure that all control module and DLC connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date. Attempt to reprogram the control module. If the control module cannot be programmed, replace the control module.

Tech 2 Remote Programming
Use the normal "request method" through "Service Programming System" to request information from the vehicle.
At the Techline Terminal enter TIS SPS programming system.
Select Tech 2 from the "Select Diagnostic Tool" window.
Select Reprogram ECU from the "Select Programming Process" window.
Select Vehicle from the "Select ECU Location" window.
Select Next to go to the "Preparing for Communication" instruction Screen.
Select Next to view the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen. If the Vehicle ID Number does not appear on the screen, manually insert the VIN into the VIN window of the "Validate Vehicle ID Number" screen.
Select Next to view the "Supported Controllers" screen.
Select Glow Plug Control Module from "Supported Controllers" window.
Select Next to view the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Normal from the "Select Programming Type" window.
Select Next to view the "Service Programming System Calibration Selection" screen.
Select Next to view "Summary" screen.
Verify that current and selected calibration information is displayed on the "Summary" screen.
Select Next to download the calibration to the Tech 2.
Back at the vehicle enter "Service Programming Systems".
Select "Program ECU" and follow on screen instructions.
Make sure to turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the "Programming is Complete". Clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), if required.
CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, & VERMONT VEHICLES ONLY: Install a Recall Identification Label. Also, for California vehicles complete a "Proof of Correction
Recall Identification Label -- California, Massachusetts, Maine & Vermont Vehicles Only
Place a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the instructions outlined in this Product Recall Bulletin. Each label provides a space to include the recall number and the five-digit dealer code of the dealer performing the recall service. This information may be inserted with a typewriter or a ballpoint pen.

Put the Recall Identification Label on a clean and dry surface of the radiator core support in an area that will be visible to people servicing the vehicle.

When installing the Recall Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to allow adhesion of the clear protective covering. Additional Recall Identification Labels for US dealers can be obtained from Dealer Support Materials by either ordering on the web from DWD Store, gm dealerworld.com, or calling 1-866-700-0001 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST). Request Item Number S-1015 when ordering.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product recall is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Claim Information
Submit a Product Recall Claim with the information indicated below.

Repair Performed
Part Count
Part No.
Parts Allow
CC-FC
Labor Op
Labor Hours*
Net Item

Reprogram Glow Plug Control Module
N/A
N/A
N/A
MA-96
V1464
N/A

Courtesy Transportation for vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (US & Canadian GM Dealers)
N/A
N/A
N/A
MA-96
N/A

* Submit courtesy transportation using normal labor operations for courtesy transportation as indicated in the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual for vehicles within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

** The amount identified in the "Net Item" column should represent the actual dollar amount for courtesy transportation.

Refer to the General Motors WINS Claims Processing Manual for details on Product Recall Claim Submission.

Customer Notification - For US and Canada
General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).

In order to ensure full protection under the emission warranty, and the right to participate in future recalls, the customer notification letter recommends that customers have their vehicles serviced as soon as possible. It also advises that failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance. The vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection test if the recall work is not completed.

Customer Notification - For Export
Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. For owners outside these areas, dealers should notify customers using the attached sample letter.

In order to ensure full protection under the emission warranty, and the right to participate in future recalls, the customer notification letter recommends that customers have their vehicles serviced as soon as possible. It also advises that failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance. The vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection test if the recall work is not completed.

Dealer Recall Responsibility - All
All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this recall bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

***THE FOLLOWING 2 PARAGRAPHS ARE NOT FOR CANADA OR EXPORT***

When a California emissions recall is completed by a GM dealer, the dealer must provide the vehicle owner a "Proof of Correction Certificate" which the owner may need to present to the California Department Of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when renewing their vehicle registration. Without this correction certificate, the owner may be unable to renew their vehicle registration.

Additional Certificates can be obtained, at no charge, from Dealer Support Materials by calling 1-866-700-0001 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST). Ask for GM Item Number 1825 when ordering.

April 2006
Dear General Motors Customer:

This notice is sent to inform you that General Motors is conducting a voluntary emission recall that includes your vehicle.

Reason For This Recall
Your 2006 Chevrolet Silverado, Express, Kodiak; GMC Sierra, Savana or Topkick model truck, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel V8 engine, may have a condition in which the engine glow plugs are overstressed electronically, causing glow plug failure and engine damage in some cases.

What Will Be Done
Your dealer will reprogram the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM). This service will be performed for you at no charge .

How Long Will The Repair Take?
It is likely that your dealer will need your vehicle longer than the actual service correction time of approximately 30 minutes, because of service scheduling requirements.

Contacting Your Dealer
Please contact your dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service date. Instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much time will be needed to schedule, process and repair your vehicle.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below. The Customer Assistance Center’s hours of operation are from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet
1-800-630-2438
1-800-833-2438

GMC
1-866-996-9463
1-800-462-8583

Guam
1-671-648-8650

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

GMICT
1-800-862-4389

Customer Reply Form
The enclosed customer reply form identifies your vehicle. Presentation of this form to your dealer will assist in making the necessary correction in the shortest possible time. If you no longer own this vehicle, please let us know by completing the card and mailing it back to us.

Courtesy Transportation
: If your vehicle is within the New Vehicle Limited Warranty your dealer may provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner’s Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.

Emission Law Information
: In order to ensure your full protection under the emission warranty made applicable to your vehicle by State or Federal Law, and your right to participate in future recalls, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could legally be determined to be lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle. Also, your vehicle may fail a state or local emission inspection if this recall is not accomplished.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires vehicle emission recalls be completed prior to California registration renewal. Uncorrected emission recalls will result in the inability to renew your California vehicle registration.

At the time of emission recall completion, your California dealer will issue a "Proof of Correction Certificate". Keep this certificate and, if required, present it to the Department of Motor Vehicles when renewing your California registration as proof of recall completion.

We are sorry to cause you this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

Document ID# 1797239

#72 ·
Thank you for the info guys:) I stoped in the the dealer on Sat. and he pulled my truck up and said it was in the recall. I droped it off this morning and they said it will be done by lunch:)

DP rocks
JT

#73 ·
I just want to say THANKS to this forum. I read about the glow plug issues while I was waiting to take delivery of my new GMC 3500 CC Dually 4x4 with the LLY engine. I was having second thoughts about trading in my '02 Chevy 2500HD but with the 'heads up' about making sure the glow plug indicator on the dash went OUT and to have it towed if it did I went ahead with the deal.

Took my new one in on Friday for the recall. No issue. This new engine is a LOT quieter than my LB7.

Just waiting now for Edge to come out with a chip. Really loved my Edge Juice w/attitude in my '02. Naturally, I removed it before I traded it in hoping that Edge would be able to reprogram it. No such luck...

#74 ·
Had the reprogram done today. I never had any problems prior. I wonder if the reprogram prevents the glow plugs from cycling more then once, or maybe prevents them from running more then a 3-4 second duration. Anyway not all trucks in the effected vin number had the problems, I think it was only a few. I would still like to know the actual cause for the melting tips on the trucks that were repaired.

Thanks to everyone on the site with all the great info and heads up information. :ro)

#77 ·
Anyway not all trucks in the effected vin number had the problems, I think it was only a few. I would still like to know the actual cause for the melting tips on the trucks that were repaired.

Thanks to everyone on the site with all the great info and heads up information. :ro)
Correct. GM found the earliest and latest VIN that had the problems. Does not mean all VINs included in the range have problems. Each individual part comes from a different place and time so it is difficult to track down the plant and batch that is bad, therefor many trucks that don't have problems will be recalled anyway.

#78 ·
Thanks Max and everyone on this forum. I took my truck in Friday and the Service Manager did not know of a recall until I showed him the paper work from here. He asked me to bring my truck in Monday morning so I did and it was ready by lunch time. Once again I want to say thanks to everyone here.

#79 ·
I talked with my service advisor today. My new 06 LLY VIN falls after the range stated. When he put my VIN into GM VIS, it came up clear -- no recalls--. OK, that makes sense, since my truck is out of range. He also said that they could hook it up and check for the current update, but that would take 30-40 minutes, and the cost would be on me. He, and the service manager assured me that my vehicle would have received the update at the factory, especially since my VIN is about 10,000 pass the range cutoff. Also, if any NEW recall comes out, including my VIN...well.. of course, they would perform the work, per GM spec.

Can't say I'm surprised. Their reply is by the book. I'll be watching my glow plug light closely, and also watching this thread and other recall info.

Thanks all.

#80 ·
I think for those of us without a firm recall attached to the vin, it wouldn't be a bad idea for a friend with a Tech-2 to check it out and make sure it's current.... gotta' give the owners some time to download the updates though.

IIRC, there is a comment on the recall about the dealers making sure that the update is installed on all in-stock vehicles prior to delivery... not quite sure how to read that into a delivered vehicle like yours that wasn't truly in-stock, but very well may have been in-transit on the 24th.

I dunno... Personally, I don't think the dealer should charge you, BUT if you already do have the most current revision, I can understand the dealer not wanting to pay for the time.
I'd maybe have a chat (and a donut) with the service manager and offer to pay for the tech's time (can't imagine it would be more than $60) if in fact you have the most current update, and get him to agree to cover it under warranty if it isn't.
After all, you're saving him the possibility of having to do an engine replacement under warranty.

#81 ·
Done!

Update done in 30 minutes,don't see any difference in the light time. Had them do an injector balance test, going in Friday for an injector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.