Diesel Place banner

truck wont start

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  dddboat 
#1 ·
I have an 06 lbz with 85k on the odometer.I have exaust and air cleaner on it otherwise all stock. I used to run a edge on it but removed it a year ago.
we were pulling the trailer on flat ground yesterday about 15k lbs when it went into limp mode setting off a Poo87 code ,purchased code reader from autozone. Cleared the code a few times ,and now the truck has died completely and wont start. I am home now after a 100 mile tow with my fifth wheel . I changed fuel filter and oil about 4500 miles ago.I am going to try a new filter this morning. the truck was running fine until this happened.

thanks
Derek

#2 ·
could be a collapsed fuel line. There is a tsb on that. May be worth looking into if the filter does not fix.

#3 ·
Pump the primer on the filter housing--the housing seals dry out from the excessive heat in the engine compartment, and then sucks air, not fuel.

The seal kit is available from many Forum supporting vendors. GM only sells a new filter housing.

Good idea to replace the filter-- cut the old filter open and inspect for water-dirt.

#6 ·
Is your primer bulb staying hard or does it get soft after sitting overnight? P0087 means your starving for fuel, either by allowing in air through seals, or leaks, could be a collapsed fuel line, could be the pickup tube in the tank is plugged up, and it could be the FPRV is stuck open not allowing the rails to hold pressure. Was your old filter full of fuel? How many pumps did it take to fill the new filter? Is the pump bulb firm? Check the schrader valve located under the black plastic cap on the fuel line passenger side front, is there fuel around the valve and if so are there bubbles forming around it? If so it is leaking. Do you have a lift pump installed in the fuel system? The P0087 code is a popular headache but can be diagnosed and resolved.

#7 ·
the primer bulb goes soft after a few minutes, the old filter was full, and the new took a few pumps to fill,i checked the schrader valve and it sprayed fuel when depressed. I do not have a lift pump.When it occurred it first went to limp then shut off while driving and have never been able to start it since.

#10 ·
You have an air leak, now you just need to find it. Couple common areas are the seal kit JC recommended, but two big culprits are the bleeder screw on top of the filter housing and the water sensor / drain that screws into the filter itself. Those crack and leak often. $50 for the sensor and $12 for the screw, those would be my two first guesses.

#11 ·
If you have fuel to the scrader valve-- and it never fired-- you do not have a fuel problem. Have someone crank the engine, while you shoot a little WD40 in the intake. DO NOT USE ETHER.

Check for codes-! and all computer plugs-- also the BIG wiring harness connection on the valve cover.

#12 ·
But his primer pump is getting soft in a couple minutes so the pressure is dropping off quickly and being replaced with air. Spraying WD 40 into the intake will put a combustible mixture directly into the combustion chamber, unless the pistons were gone it will fire on that, but that will not help diagnose why its not running, and it may not fire evenly, he had a P0087 which means fuel problems.

#13 ·
I ordered the seal kit, I'll try the water sensor and bleeder as well
Thanks.
Couple of shops thought it might be the pressure relief valve is stuck open,

#14 ·
Its not a hard job to get the relief valve out. Remove the glow plug controller and bracket it is bolted to, you will then see the FPRV at the end of the rail, I think it comes out with an 18mm socket if I remember correctly. If you do take it out may as well shim it at the same time as eventually you will need to anyway.

#15 · (Edited)
You can test the FPRV without removing it. It is called the "bottle test".

Here is some info on the "Bottle Test".

On the drivers side fuel rail-- to the back and next to the Turbo, you will see a "U"
shaped 3/8 hose-- remove the hose from the fuel rail-- and plug the hose.

Now attach a 3/8 hose to the fuel rail nipple, and stick the end in a bottle. Crank the engine-- if there is any fuel in the bottl, the FPRV [fuel pressure relief valve] is leaking main pressure from the fuel system.

The FPRV is a plug looking part that screws in the back of the driver's fuel rail. Many just increase the pressure with a couple washers, to help hole the pressure. Others use a "Race" plug [not recommended] available from supporting vendors.

#17 ·
just to let everyone know what the outcome was.
It ended up being a injector pump failure,I got tired and took it to the dealer.Thanks for all the replies and help. Just got it back friday and have been driving it without any issues so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.