Gutting Cat? - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymax82 View Post
I have the DPF deleted and have been trying to decide if I want to delete the muffler and cat. I want better flow but don't want to yell inside my truck when I'm pulling my boat. Should I just go with a performance muffler?
If you delete the muffler (1st pic) (suggested, it's very restrictive IMO) and the cat, you probably will have to add a performance muffler and maybe a resonator depending on your tolarance with the drone.
This is what another member had to do with 4" straight exhaust with a standard aftermarket front pipe.
With the Diamond Eye quiet tone front pipe (replaces the stock front pipe w cat) bolts right up to my DPF delete pipe (3rd pic)it has the resonator built in, but that was not enough for me I added a 14" Magnaflow muffler (2nd pic)
14" was the longest one I could get in the location where I wanted to install a muffler.
I have only one exhaust clamp @ the 4 bolt flange that connect the exhaust sections the other is the 3 bolt flange.

Muffler Delete

14" Magnaflow Muffler

DPF delete pipe

2007 GMC Yukon Denali "BLACK" 6.2 gasser EFILive AutoCal by MJ Engineering
Offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
dirtymax82
Diesel Technician

Where did you buy the components at? I don't want to buy a complete set up because i already have the DPF delete. I'm also looking at running a black tip because the rest of my truck is blacked out.

I wouldn't mind getting a better sound out of my truck, make it sound more like a diesel, but my tires already have enough road noise so I don't want to add too much more with a loud exhaust.

Sold
2007.5 LMM Silverado 2500HD LTZ Regency
6" FabTech suspension lift
AFE 4" turbo back with flow through muffler
PCV reroute EGR blocked
MagHytec deep tranny pan and Diff cover
Transgo Jr. shift kit
Edge Insight with EGT probe
22" Death Metal BMF Novakanes with 325/50/R22 Nitto Trail grapplers
ATP autocal from Alligator Performance
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

Quote:
Where did you buy the components at? I don't want to buy a complete set up because i already have the DPF delete. I'm also looking at running a black tip because the rest of my truck is blacked out.

I wouldn't mind getting a better sound out of my truck, make it sound more like a diesel, but my tires already have enough road noise so I don't want to add too much more with a loud exhaust.
http://www.meyerperformance.com/default.cfm

Good prices and fast shipping.
The muffler delete was done at a local exhaust shop that can do 4" mandrel bends.
Everything else I ordered from Meyerperformance.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
dirtymax82
Diesel Technician

How loud would you say yours is with the resonator and muffler compared to a stock exhaust?

Sold
2007.5 LMM Silverado 2500HD LTZ Regency
6" FabTech suspension lift
AFE 4" turbo back with flow through muffler
PCV reroute EGR blocked
MagHytec deep tranny pan and Diff cover
Transgo Jr. shift kit
Edge Insight with EGT probe
22" Death Metal BMF Novakanes with 325/50/R22 Nitto Trail grapplers
ATP autocal from Alligator Performance
Old 12-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

Quote:
How loud would you say yours is with the resonator and muffler compared to a stock exhaust?
Everyone has a different opinion on whats loud, compared to stock it is louder but not annoying like it was without the muffler.
The Diamond Eye quiet tone front pipe alone was to loud by itself.
IMO it sounds great with just a little drone when towing but not annoying.

A few have said theirs is not much louder than it was when stock with a full 4" straight exhaust no muffler.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
rsipps
Diesel Enthusiast

I installed the AFE 4" from the down pipe back with no cat or muffler. it is load when you get on it but in the cab with the windows up you do not notice it, not even a drone.
2006 Chevy 2500HD, Crewcab, Black, 4x4 longbed, Armor Lid tonneau cover, 6" Pro Comp Lift, 325-65-18 Nitto Terra Grapplers tires on XD Rockstars, Super Chips Programer, 4" AFE downpipe back, no cat or muffler.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

Solo the drone won't be to bad, it's when your towing most will need ear plugs, or crank the stereo way up.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
boothybunch
Resident Gynecologist....

I have no cat or muffler and have no drone. Only time I had drone was when i ran just the front pipe and turn out
Banks power big hoss kit with power pda, MBRP cat-delete front pipe, BD full bore manifold + Thermocouple, kennedy diesel EGR blocker, Diamondback bed cover, Line-X bed liner, Southwest fabricators front bumper, Fab-tech HD tie rods, UK modified towing hitch, Airdog II 165 installed with swagelok stainless fittings & lines, Biodiesel Blending, PCV reroute with allseason AN pcv fittings. D2R/denso hid installed with relay bypassed headlights. Transgo Jr and Transynd. Braided PTFE hydroboost/steering lines
Member #23 of the OIL is OIL association

July 2013 Truck of the month winner

Last edited by boothybunch; 01-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
D_R_C
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothybunch View Post
I have no cat or muffler and have no drone. Only time I had drone was when i ran just the front pipe and turn out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATJDauFXQlg
Just curious what about when your towing up and down steep grades.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
boothybunch
Resident Gynecologist....

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Just curious what about when your towing up and down steep grades.
like I said, only got drone with I ran the short pipe. I even made someone piss on himself when we went thru the dartford tunnel (down and under the river thames) the while towing the big trailer.

There was some workers in the tunnel and one was in a porta potty. We hit tow mode going into the tunnel and it growled all the way down. Hit the bottom and powered back out the other side. All we saw was the guy kick the door open on the potty with trousers round his knees, wondering what the hell was going off.

I'll see about recording a video in a few weeks for you as I have a new dash cam for the truck and I will be hitting the dartford tunnel on way to the docks.
Banks power big hoss kit with power pda, MBRP cat-delete front pipe, BD full bore manifold + Thermocouple, kennedy diesel EGR blocker, Diamondback bed cover, Line-X bed liner, Southwest fabricators front bumper, Fab-tech HD tie rods, UK modified towing hitch, Airdog II 165 installed with swagelok stainless fittings & lines, Biodiesel Blending, PCV reroute with allseason AN pcv fittings. D2R/denso hid installed with relay bypassed headlights. Transgo Jr and Transynd. Braided PTFE hydroboost/steering lines
Member #23 of the OIL is OIL association

July 2013 Truck of the month winner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement