LBZ P0087 Code Help? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Backcountrypro
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

LBZ P0087 Code Help?

I have a 06 LBZ CCSB that I normally run with a PPE Economy Tuner set on the 90hp setting. For over a year the truck ran without any problems on the 90hp setting. Then a few months back I laid into the throttle a bit and the service engine light came on, the code was P0087. I thought oh well it has to be dirty fuel filter, even though I had just changed it a few months before. I cleared the code and changed the fuel filter and thought this would be the end of my troubles for awhile. Well it wasn't the end of my troubles, a few days later the code came back while towing a piece of equipment. I called the local dealership to ask for advice, they said I did the right thing changing the filter but asked when was the last time I changed the air cleaner filter. Sure enough I popped the hood and the restriction indicator was in the red.......How the heck could I miss that??? So I put in a new air cleaner and thought once again my troubles would be over. Once again I took the truck out for a drive and once I laid into the throttle the same code came back....what the heck? Now I am getting worried so I use my PPE tuner to return my truck completely back to STOCK and repeat the same drive and the code came right back on as soon as I get on the throttle hard above 55 mph. Today I tried to track down the problem, I crawled under the truck and inspected the rubber fuel lines and they seem good (no kinks or soft spots). I looked for any signs of fuel leaks near the fuel filter but I couldn't find any. I eliminated the WIF sensor with a aftermarket plug that I purchased from a vendor here so I know that is not the problem. I also replace the plastic bleed screw with a new one and new o-ring. The truck starts fine so it is not loosing prime. I used my PPE tuner to check the injector balance rates and from what I could tell they are within specs, the highest was 1.6 the lowest was -0.9. Next I took the truck for a drive watching the Fuel Required and Fuel Actual pressure readings. The actual pressure stayed right with the required pressure quite well until I really got on it then sure enough the actual pressure dropped way down, you could feel the truck stall out, the exhaust produced a cloud of black smoke and the service engine light came back on. I did notice that the actual pressure was able to climb well into the 20K psi range but once I laid on the throttle it is like all the pressure just disappeared.
What else should I check before I send this thing to the dealer on Wednesday? Could it be a dirty MAF sensor since the air cleaner was dirty? I have heard that it could possibly be a cracked fuel filter housing and it is sucking air under load...is this possible? How about the the Fuel Pressure Regulating valve or the Fuel Pressure Relief valve? The service tech did not think it was injectors or CP3 since they have seen very few problems with these parts on the LBZ. I guess my gut feeling is that this problem is something simple. I have read about lift pumps but why would a stock truck need a lift pump all of sudden when it worked fine for the first 100k miles? As luck would have it my truck now has 101700 miles on it so I think warranty is out of the question! Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
dmtcm
Diesel Technician

The MAF sensor can be a problem but so can the FPR(fuel pressure regulator).

An LBZ should be able to make around 26k psi for rail pressure stock. You will only see this under load at full throttle for a short time. You can power brake the engine to watch the pressure as I have been able to make 20-22k psi for a short moment before the tires break lose. Don't push the torque converter for too long especially if it's stock. Watch your trans. temp as well as it will get hot quick. 200 deg. max is my rule.

You said you checked the fuel lines for kinks and such but there is one line on the LBZ (and LLY) you need to pay attention to for your model year as is mine. Check the large rubber line from the fuel tank to the steel line. These lines have a TSB on them (somewhere in these forums) where they get kinked and restrict fuel flow.
I have a fleet of GMC and Chevy trucks (150). out of all these I've had to replace 4 of them for the same problem you're having. Not a major problem but there non-the-less.

If fuel feed checks good, return fuel values are good, injectors seem to be good, cp3 commanded pressures are good with the scan tool (which helps to eliminate the FPR), is your EGR system still functional? What is your boost pressure climbing to? Possible MAP sensor reading? Do you still have a converter in the exhaust? Bad connection at the bail connectors? Possibility of any new goodies added just before the problem started? Interference with the DATA signal? I.E. radio, fixed gps system, ect. ?

I'm starting to feel like 'Johnnie 5' in "Short Circuit", - need input!
'Big Red' 2007 chevy 2500HD cc/lb LBZ, EFI by Kory Willis@ LATuning w/ dp5, egr delete, BatmoWheel, air box mod,3" down pipe, 4" MBRP, race plug, FASS pump with modded fuel lines,fuel filter relocated, Glowshift 3in1 gauge, LMM tvs, Suncoast G-Max 6-3 w/ hydraulics upgrade by Baker's Trans.,Suncoast 1058 converter, lockup switch, Toyo LT285/55/20's on HD Series rims, Rancho RS5000 on front, RS9000's on rear.
12.99@103 mph - Retired to dragging around ->

2005 GMC 2500HD Ex/cab swb 4x4, converted from 8.1l gas to LBZ. Danville 68mm billet turbo, Ind. Inj. nozzles, Suncoast stage V w/1058, PPE hotpipe, modded cold pipe, Rancho shocks, tie rod sleeves, Cal Traks, EfiLive by Kory, FASS pump, ISSPRO Gauges, ect...

Wife's Toy- 2007 GMC 2500hd cc/swb 4x4, bone stock for now muahhahahaha!!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Backcountrypro
Diesel Fanatic

My dealer just called.....truck is fixed! They found a bunch of crap in my fuel tank! They found two bugs inside the fuel pick up and a bunch of other crap that looks like grass clippings! WTH? I told him to save the junk because I want to see it. I will post pictures later.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
dmtcm
Diesel Technician

Um, tick any neighbors off lately??
'Big Red' 2007 chevy 2500HD cc/lb LBZ, EFI by Kory Willis@ LATuning w/ dp5, egr delete, BatmoWheel, air box mod,3" down pipe, 4" MBRP, race plug, FASS pump with modded fuel lines,fuel filter relocated, Glowshift 3in1 gauge, LMM tvs, Suncoast G-Max 6-3 w/ hydraulics upgrade by Baker's Trans.,Suncoast 1058 converter, lockup switch, Toyo LT285/55/20's on HD Series rims, Rancho RS5000 on front, RS9000's on rear.
12.99@103 mph - Retired to dragging around ->

2005 GMC 2500HD Ex/cab swb 4x4, converted from 8.1l gas to LBZ. Danville 68mm billet turbo, Ind. Inj. nozzles, Suncoast stage V w/1058, PPE hotpipe, modded cold pipe, Rancho shocks, tie rod sleeves, Cal Traks, EfiLive by Kory, FASS pump, ISSPRO Gauges, ect...

Wife's Toy- 2007 GMC 2500hd cc/swb 4x4, bone stock for now muahhahahaha!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Backcountrypro
Diesel Fanatic

Yeah that is what I was thinking! Does GM make a locking fuel cap? I have a bulk tank with highway fuel at the farm that I fill the semi and this pick up out of, I haven't had any fuel troubles with the semi, so yes it does make me wonder....
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Backcountrypro
Diesel Fanatic

Here is a picture of the junk they found in my tank. It looks like a mixture of grass clippings, maybe hair and three bugs! I have no idea how this all made it into the tank. I bought the truck with 60k on it so maybe it happened when the previous owner had the truck. For all of you chasing the p0087 code it might be worth while to get the tank close to empty and drop it out of the frame to see if anything is plugging the pick up tube. Truck works good again! Thanks Kenny!
Attached Thumbnails
LBZ P0087 Code Help?-photo-10.jpg  

Last edited by Backcountrypro; 10-13-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Norcal chris
Diesel Technician

dam!! that was in your fuel tank!! Thats alot of crap to be in your fuel system, any idea how it got in??

Blocker plate, fingerstick, Auto meter guages on pillar, Scan gauge, pvc re-rout, Straight piped, lost the kitty PPEhot2-ET, Airdog 150, PPE airbox mod, Mike L. Stage 5 trans w\snake oiler and upgraded trans cooler. PattonFab LightBar with Baja Design Sol- Tek Lights(3-8" lights 2 flood center spot) ,(Nor Cal Truck Kalzuki kit) cognito A-arms, leveling keys, Vavled 2.0 Fox shocks w custom resi mounts up front, clamps on rear, HD tie rods, idler and pitman arm braces, Steering brace with weld in gusset, Cal-Tracks traction bars, Sulastic shackles, firestone Airbags, 18" MB Motor sports wheels with custom mounted Pro Comp fo bead lock rings wrapped with Nitto mudders, Pioneer deck 2 10" subs behind seat w adjustable bass knob

Still to come: EFI with DPS5 switch, Pump rub fix, Line x
Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Backcountrypro
Diesel Fanatic

Just a update...I have been driving the truck for the last two months without any more problems. All is good again and my pick up is hooked to the snowmobile trailer and read to go to MT on Wednesday.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
scattermax03
Diesel Technician

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Midwest Smokers Member

your more than likely popping your fprv...get a shim kit or a race plug and a lift pump would also help
Allison 6-Speed with Alligator Performances Stage V Kit and a Precision (ML) TC w/Deep Pan, 16x8.5 MB V-drive wheels with 285/75/16 Hancook Dynapro ATM's, 4" Diamond-Eye Turbo Back Dual Exhaust, 3" Diamond Eye Down-pipe, Raptor 150, My Own PCV Reroute, Fuel Shim Kit, Ported Fuel Rail Fitting (drilled out the stock one to match the PPE), A.F.E. 5" intake, Danville Performance Tie-rod Sleeves, MA T-case Brace, ADP Pump Rub Fix, MA WIF sensor Block-off, PPE Bleeder Screw, Fuel Filter Access Door, AutoMeter C2 gauges w/tinted lenses, E.F.I. Live by Nick at Duramaxtuner.com 530 rwhp tune, Two Kicker Comp 10's under seat and an Alpine 1000w class D mono block amp and a Pioneer 3300BT in-dash with BOSE door speakers

Thanks to:
duramaxtuner.com
hooties house of horsepower
alligator performance
Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Smokinlmm
Diesel Technician

NC Dmax's Member

That looks like algee...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.