LLY: Fuel delivery trouble. code p0087 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
GMC_Diesel4me
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Fuel delivery trouble. code p0087

Hi guys. Im hoping somebody can help me out. On a couple different towing trips Ive had trouble starting the truck after it has been turned off for a short while. On the last trip the check engine light came on but still ran good until I stopped for gas and it wouldn't start again. I had to get towed. So a buddy of mine came over and pulled the code p0087.However the truck started again after trying for 2 days. The trouble has not been fixed. On previous times I was able to open the bleeder on the fuel filter assembly and prime it and it would work, but not the last time. Fuel filter was replaced 5k ago.I went about a month and a half without problems between towing trips. Now my question is what do you think it could be? Should I try replacing the filter again and is there a second filter I should replace? Maybe fuel pump? Is the pump on the lly in the tank? Any feedback will be appreciated very much. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
blkdmax05
Lead Moderator
BlakeMan

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

There is no fuel pump in the tank, only the CP3 injection pump on the motor. Change the filter just to eliminate that as a cause. Then you need to check the system for air leaks. It sounds like its loosing prime, which would explain the low rail pressure code. Check especially well around the filter head and WIF sensor, those are common leak points
Full MBRP 4" Exhaust w/6" Tip, MBRP Downpipe, EGR Blocked (FE9 Emissions), PCV Rerouted, Resonator Blocked, AFE Mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Banks Intake w/Scoop, Nicktane Filter Adaptor w/CAT 1R-0750 Filter, Bilstein 5100's, 2006+ Towing Mirrors, GM Tubular Chrome Step Bars, GM Bug Guard and Window Shields, Spray in Bedliner, Dually Rear Light Bar, 265/75R16 Goodyear Silent Armors on stock rims, Superglide 16k Fifth Wheel Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Control

>2011 Honda CR-V EX-L<
Opal Sage, Tan Heated Leather, Factory Navigation

>2012 Kubota BX1860 Tractor<
LA203 Front Loader, 54" Mid-Mount Mower, 18HP 3 Cylinder Diesel

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Need help with a thread? Please report it by clicking on the button!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
GMC_Diesel4me
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks. Thats where I will start. Is there a secondary fuel filter that I should check?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
blkdmax05
Lead Moderator
BlakeMan

Unless you've added one, there's only the one under the hood, and no sock on the pickup in the tank
Full MBRP 4" Exhaust w/6" Tip, MBRP Downpipe, EGR Blocked (FE9 Emissions), PCV Rerouted, Resonator Blocked, AFE Mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Banks Intake w/Scoop, Nicktane Filter Adaptor w/CAT 1R-0750 Filter, Bilstein 5100's, 2006+ Towing Mirrors, GM Tubular Chrome Step Bars, GM Bug Guard and Window Shields, Spray in Bedliner, Dually Rear Light Bar, 265/75R16 Goodyear Silent Armors on stock rims, Superglide 16k Fifth Wheel Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Control

>2011 Honda CR-V EX-L<

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Need help with a thread? Please report it by clicking on the button!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
GMC_Diesel4me
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
GMC_Diesel4me
Diesel Fanatic

Just replaced the fuel filter. Tomorrow I will replace the gas cap. Just starting with the cheap easy stuff. Unfortunately I will not be towing for awhile to see if I throw the p0087 code again.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
blkdmax05
Lead Moderator
BlakeMan

I doubt replacing the fuel cap will change anything. IMO you have a leak in the fuel system

>2011 Honda CR-V EX-L<

Help The Staff!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
GMC_Diesel4me
Diesel Fanatic

Thats what Ive been hearing. I put the new filter on and inspected the wif sensor and made sure the o rings went in good. Then checked around the fuel filter head and all looks good. I looked at the fuel lines and I dont see any visible trouble. Do you know where thes lines collapse that Ive read about on these posts. Im starting to worry about some of these posts where this problem in a nightmare and its hard to duplicate unless your towing up a grade. Oh yeah,I also could not resist cutting open the filter I took off. I was definitely dirty with 6k on it, but i didnt see any particles in it.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
dmtcm
Diesel Technician

The fuel hoses that they are having troubles with are located under the driver's side where the fuel lines run from the frame over to the engine. There are hoses connected between the steel lines. Claim is that these hoses can collapse over time and cause a lack of fuel which trips the low rail pressure code.
Installing an aftermarket fuel pump in-line after the tank would cure alot as the high pressure pump would not have to pull the fuel some 20 feet from the tank to the engine.
If a leak is your problem, changing the fuel cap won't help. Won't hurt it either.
Another possible problem that I have run into a few times is people who live on or drive on loose rock roads alot. I have found damage to the return fuel cooler in front of the fuel tank. It can get pin holes in the core from the rocks flying off of the tires. There is also a TSB about the 1/2" supply hose coming from the tank to the steel fuel line above the fuel cooler. Older models had a rubber hose where the new ones have a plastic hose.
'Big Red' 2007 chevy 2500HD cc/lb LBZ, EFI by Kory Willis@ LATuning w/ dp5, egr delete, BatmoWheel, air box mod,3" down pipe, 4" MBRP, race plug, FASS pump with modded fuel lines,fuel filter relocated, Glowshift 3in1 gauge, LMM tvs, Suncoast G-Max 6-3 w/ hydraulics upgrade by Baker's Trans.,Suncoast 1058 converter, lockup switch, Toyo LT285/55/20's on HD Series rims, Rancho RS5000 on front, RS9000's on rear.
12.99@103 mph - Retired to dragging around ->

2005 GMC 2500HD Ex/cab swb 4x4, converted from 8.1l gas to LBZ. Danville 68mm billet turbo, Ind. Inj. nozzles, Suncoast stage V w/1058, PPE hotpipe, modded cold pipe, Rancho shocks, tie rod sleeves, Cal Traks, EfiLive by Kory, FASS pump, ISSPRO Gauges, ect...

Wife's Toy- 2007 GMC 2500hd cc/swb 4x4, bone stock for now muahhahahaha!!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Black05Duramax
Diesel Technician

I had the same problem with my truck a few times when I had someone else change my fuel filter. Sometimes the plastic WIF sensor on the bottom is tightened too tight. It gets a very small crack in it and will bleed the pressure off. Shut the truck off and watch it very close for a few minutes after shutting the truck off and see if it's leaking.

2003 BMW 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.