Diesel Place banner

Need to change my serpintine belt

LBZ: 
49K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Dooner 
#1 ·
I need to change my serpentine belt. Does anybody have a how to, step by step process on how I can do this? It would be much appreciated.:)

#31 ·
214K on the factory belt - had it off a couple of weeks back when I replaced the fan clutch - I inspected the belt, not a crack or missing rib anywhere on it, so I put it back on. Now replacing the fan clutch is a LOT of fun!!!

#34 ·
So, with 111K miles, and a long road trip with toyhauler in tow coming up, I figure I'd do some preventative maintenance. Replaced both idler pulleys, the tensioner, and the belt. Got the parts all in one kit from a well known auto parts site. I assume the serpentine belt that was on the truck was factory. It was cracked and ready for replacement. I replaced the pulleys, even though they spun freely, and had VERY minimal (if any) play. The job is miserable for a first timer. That wonderful fan cage GM installed on these trucks is a real PITA to work around. You need to remove the 3 bolts that support the fan cage. TIP: that lower fan cage bolt on the passenger side is near impossible to get at. After using every cuss word I know, I decided to unbolt the bracket from the engine block (2 - 18mm bolts) that the passenger side fan cage bolt is mounted to. It sounds ridiculous, but removing the passenger side fender liner really helps to do this. After that, its just remove and replace. Like mentioned earlier in this thread in several posts, draw a belt routing diagram, if your truck doesn't have a sticker (like mine doesn't) in the engine bay. Hope this helps the next guy wondering how to get this job done without skinning your knuckles & arms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.