Number 8 Glow Plug - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
RoadFusion
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

NC Dmax's Member

Lone Star Diesels Member

Number 8 Glow Plug

Just checking before i replace it, the #8 glow plug is the driver side closest to the firewall correct?

Also anyone have tips to make it easier to do, like taking something off or what not?

2005 Mazda RX-8 Black - Stock

1989 Wrangler YJ Orange - 350TBI/700R4 (Frame swapping)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
mcurrin
Diesel Fanatic

Lone Star Diesels Member

Correct Pull the fender liner. I spryed mine with a penatrating oil let set for about an hr. That one is an easy one number 2 is the bi&^%.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
tuney443
Diesel Master

X2---I sprayed mine with PB Blaster,let it soak on both wire nut and actual GP.When you're ready to remove,I use CRC's Freeze off,comes in a light blue can--the very best rust breaker I've ever seen.If you're around 100K miles,you really should change all at once and be done with it as they will all eventually fail.
2006 3500 Silverado,SRW,EXT.DM,ALLY,WHITE,4x4,PPE on level 2,Speed bleeders on calipers,lubed by Schaeffer,Schaefer Diesel Treat,Astrostart remote starter,Airdog FP-100 lift pump,Air Ride front bumpers and rear bags,and seriously overweight red thing in front that pushes rice burners and sometimes snow out of the way

Member #12 3500SRW Club

Mallen Excavating
Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
RoadFusion
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

NC Dmax's Member

Lone Star Diesels Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuney443 View Post
X2---I sprayed mine with PB Blaster,let it soak on both wire nut and actual GP.When you're ready to remove,I use CRC's Freeze off,comes in a light blue can--the very best rust breaker I've ever seen.If you're around 100K miles,you really should change all at once and be done with it as they will all eventually fail.
Its only at 56000 miles, ill try the spray, but my mech. told me use an anti sieze to make sure it doesnt get stuck when it needs to be replaced again, any recomendations on what to use?

2005 Mazda RX-8 Black - Stock

1989 Wrangler YJ Orange - 350TBI/700R4 (Frame swapping)
Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
tuney443
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFusion View Post
Its only at 56000 miles, ill try the spray, but my mech. told me use an anti sieze to make sure it doesnt get stuck when it needs to be replaced again, any recomendations on what to use?
Yes,that's the name--ANTI-SIEZE,comes in a small light gray plastic bottle with a built in the cap brush.Also,put some di-electric grease on your wire nuts to keep rust away.
2006 3500 Silverado,SRW,EXT.DM,ALLY,WHITE,4x4,PPE on level 2,Speed bleeders on calipers,lubed by Schaeffer,Schaefer Diesel Treat,Astrostart remote starter,Airdog FP-100 lift pump,Air Ride front bumpers and rear bags,and seriously overweight red thing in front that pushes rice burners and sometimes snow out of the way

Member #12 3500SRW Club

Mallen Excavating
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
mreeves23
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mreeves23

INDP Member

Midwest Smokers Member

RoadFusion, your mechanic mentioned the Anti-Seize because you should apply to the threads of the new glow when you install them. You will use the PB blaster and possibly CRC FreezeOff to remove the old glow plugs. The job shouldn't be too bad for you. I have one of my 06 LBZ sitting here with a new set of glow plugs on my toolbox about to go in.

tuney...very good to hear someone used the CRC FreezeOff. I have a can here in the shop but have never once used it! I will give it a shot!
Daily Driver: 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD CCLB Dually, 4x4, Duramax LMM, Black, 4" Cognito Lift, UCAs, HD Tie Rods, Idler/Pitman Braces, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, 33" Nitto TGs, 22" Alcoa Classic 10 lug Semi Wheels, Airlift helper bags and wireless controller, Line-X, Triple Autometer Gauges, Custom Audio/Video

Show Truck: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 4x4, Duramax LMM/Allison, Custom 4-link Suspension, 2.5 Ton Rockwells, 2" Ouverson Engineering Shafts and Lockers, 2.5 King Coilovers, 54" Boggers on 20x16 Chromed Custom Stazworks wheels, Suncoast Stage III, Suncoast Billet Rear Trans Housing, Custom Paint, Custom Interior, Custom Audio/Video System
Old 12-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
tuney443
Diesel Master

You will find the Freeze-off pretty amazing Mark,remember to use it only when you're actually ready for dis-assembly as that's the way it works,on a freezing principle,if you wait too long,the results won't be as good.Last Dec. I had PB Blaster soaking every day for 2 weeks on my Boss plow light hardware,could not loosen---I gave Freeze-off a shot and voila--off they came.The directions say also to bang your part your working on some to help the chemical reaction work better.

Member #12 3500SRW Club

Mallen Excavating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.