Diesel Place banner

2006 LLY vs 2006 LBZ?

110K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  06Duratowrig 
#1 ·
I am new to the diesel word. Just bought my first truck (2006 LLY). I read the sticky about the differences but really did not answer my question. So my question is how much difference is the motor mechanical wise, or is it just the tune they put on from the factory that is different? Just wondering if I go to order aftermarket parts and the don't specify 2006 LLY and 2006 LBZ, if I can just order the LBZ parts and the will bolt right on?.... THANKS

#2 ·
From my understanding the 2 motors are basically identical with just the tune being different. The majority of aftermarket parts should be interchangeable between the 2 as well. I would ask the vendor I'm ordering from if I had a question about a parts compatibility.

#4 ·
Wrong.... The 2006 LLY (engine code "2") debuted in the beginning of 2006 and ended production with the start of the 2007 calendar year. Mechanically it is identical to the LBZ and is mated to the new 6 speed Allison transmission however it retained the LLY designation.

The LBZ (engine code "D") debuted in late 2006 and continued into 2007 sold only in the "classic" body style. It has a more powerful tune loaded into the computer that allows it produce more power and torque.

2006 LLY HP/TQ 310/605

2006 LBZ HP/TQ 360/650

#5 · (Edited)
Wrong.... The 2006 LLY (engine code "2") debuted in the beginning of 2006 and ended production with the start of the 2007 calendar year. Mechanically it is identical to the LBZ and is mated to the new 6 speed Allison transmission however it retained the LLY designation.

The LBZ (engine code "D") debuted in late 2006 and continued into 2007 sold only in the "classic" body style. It has a more powerful tune loaded into the computer that allows it produce more power and torque.

Reply to your previous post that your info isn't quite correct either I have had 2 LBZ engines both built in November of 2005 The one truck was bought new on 11/5/05 and the other bought new on 12/30/2005. Both are excellent trucks.

#8 ·
Wrong.... The 2006 LLY (engine code "2") debuted in the beginning of 2006 and ended production with the start of the 2006 calendar year. Mechanically it is identical to the LBZ and is mated to the new 6 speed Allison transmission however it retained the LLY designation.

Reply to your previous post that your info isn't quite correct either I have had 2 LBZ engines both built in November of 2005 The one truck was bought new on 11/5/05 and the other bought new on 12/30/2005. Both are excellent trucks.
There fixed it for you(Excuse the typo). Its talking about GMs fiscal calender year, not normal calender years. It's apparent you can buy an 2011 right now but its 2010. Same went for the 2006s. Obviously you could purchase them in 2005. And I GUARANTEE you if those two "LBZs" engine code "D" you have are in-fact 06 LLYS engine code "2" on the 8th digit in your vin if they where bought in 05. It would be impossible for you to own and lbz in 05. UNLESS you work for gm as a tester, which I doubt you do.

#7 ·
Duramax 973 is correct about the earlier release date:). My 2006 LBZ was built in 11-2005 and I accepted delivery in early Dec-2005. If you look at a true mechanicaly designated LLY and not the interrum motor LLY/LBZ, the differences are VERY obvious. The larger diameter intake duct is the most obvious then the larger rise in the upper radiator support to house the larger radiator and intercooler with crappy plastic end tank is the second most obvious;). Besides working on many of these trucks on a regular basis, I happen to have both the LBZ and early LLY motors in my trucks:D. The LBZ, IMO kicks the crap out of the older LLY!

#17 ·
As far as i know the 06 lly is considered a lbz just with a lower hp tune from the factory 310hp(LLY) and 350 or 360hp(LBZ) mechanical wise they are pretty much the same. i just put efi live on my truck and i have a 06 lly but have to use the lbz format on efi live for it to work

#11 ·
2006llydmax

There is more confusion on this issue than where the president was born!!! I own a 2006 (mfg 8/2005) Vin "2", designated "LLY" in the glove box, 6 speed Ally. One of the guys who works with me doing the exact same thing owns a 2005 d-max "LLY". They are not the same engine, the glow plugs are different, the intake is different, the wiring harness support is different, he has a 5 speed, and I am sure a bunch of other stuff I have not had a wrench on yet, so IMHO - my 2006, Vin "2", is the LBZ engine, with the LLY tune, but what do I know?

#18 ·
Its pretty simple from what I understand. If you have a 2006 LLY with a 6 speed trans (easily identifiable by the tap shifter), then its mechanically identical to the LBZ. If its a 5 speed trans, its the old style LLY.

#19 ·
ok so from now on i should just order LBZ parts for my Motor? should i just consider my truck LBZ even though the vin tells me other wise

#23 ·
Go by the Year 2006

Don't get fooled by the LLY designation. Go by the year 2006 and VIN code to be exact. The sticky pretty much explains it to a T.

2005 LLY and 2006 LLY are totally different animals. The 2006 model year is what you need to go by.

2006 = same motor just different tuning from factory.

#20 ·
Throw a tune on it and it will be equal to the LBZ.

#21 ·
Only difference in the 06's is a tune. It amazes me how many times this has been beat to death on this forum. Do a little research people. Same motor different tune. There is a search feature on this site.

#22 ·
Love my LBZ with a D in the VIN it runs so much stronger than the neighbor's LLY with a 2 and that 5 spd. EFI put the frosting on the cake. The LLY does run good with the right tuner from EFI.

#28 ·
Yup Yup, I get into disagreements over this subject all the time with local LBZ owners. I have an 06 LLY and they swear up and down that they are completely different and the LBZ's are that much stronger. I have to prove to them I own a "mutt" 2500 HD lol. Oh and my manufacture date is 9/05 if that matters much. But yes, LBZ and 06 LLY same mechanically just a "hotter" tune on the LBZ.

#31 ·
The comprehensive list of changes and upgrades to the 2006 DURAMAX 6600 includes:

* Revised piston design helps lower compression ratio to 16.8:1 from 17.5:1
It states that the upgrade is from 2005-2006 models, even with the 06 LLY
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.