Diesel Place banner

P0087 - Low Rail Pressure - Continue to look at low pressure side?

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  BigBluLBZ 
#1 · (Edited)
The problem started yesterday on my way home from work, anything above about 1/4 throttle and the actual rail pressure would drop to almost 0, code P0087, truck almost stalls.

I am able to finally make it home by clearing code and feathering throttle.

So at home I crack the bleeder with truck running and it dies, and even after stalling there is nothing coming out yet my lift pump is running. So I think maybe either the pump took a dump after 6 months or the filter is plugged. I was at 54% on the DIC for the filter. So I pull off the filter inlet line and get a stream of fuel, so I assume the filter reached its limit in this cold weather.

Run to town, grab a new filter and throw it on, plus add an extra can of Diesel Service, which I run every filll up. Get fuel out of bleeder with engine off and on, so I take it for a drive and do a couple of WOTs around the block and all seemed well.

So on my way to work this morning it started again, doesnt seem as bad yet, but I couldnt crack the bleeder when I got to work.

I also should also add that I filled up the day before this started. Plus it hasnt been above 20deg for a few days.

I have been reading so much that I need to shim and other various things for code p0087. However is it reasonably safe to assume that this has to do something with the low pressure supply or the fuel, considering the way things transpired? Or do I need to start looking at the high pressure side as well based on other threads?

See less See more
#2 ·
Update - I have been trying to dilute the fuel as much as possible that I had in there, issue has not reappeared since then.

Definatly think I got some bad fuel...never buying Speedway fuel again.

#3 ·
The only time I think you would need a shim kit or lift pump is if you are running a high tune. At that, you have to have your foot in it also. So, if your just cruising & it stumbles like that: 1, you are correct, pump may have **** the bed, 2, correct also, bad fuel. Had the same thing happen when I had my old 7.3. Cost me $900 to get the tank dropped, emptied, dispose of fuel, reinstall the tank. Damn cheap stations.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.