scrubbing noise at 1300 RPM - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (2) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
bearnc1
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

scrubbing noise at 1300 RPM

I have a slight scrubbing noise at 1300 RPM. If I hold it at 1300 the noise will continue. I only Hear it when the RPM s are going up not on the way back down. I don't think it a problem, just wonder what the noise is. It does it running down the road or sitting still. The engine is a LBZ

Last edited by bearnc1; 06-11-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
chad911kim
Diesel Enthusiast

Same problem with my 2006 I have had it at the dealership at least 4 days and they say it is a vibration but I don't buy it. It is getting ready to go back in this week. Good Luck!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
braebyrn
Diesel Technician

Its always nice to know what the problem was/is too when you find out.....
2003 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 now LBZ powered, 4" MBRP exhaust, HushMat lined firewall, Yukon Helical Gear Type Positraction, Lux amp NAV touchscreen upgrade, Air bags, Load helper springs, Egr Delete kit from AllSeason, Edge CTS and Juice with Attitude, PCV reroute. Soon to have CNG.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
mountain-Dmax
Diesel Head

do you have an egr blocker plate because after i put mine in around that same rpm my truck sounded a little more vibratey and in higher rpms its all normal like your sayin
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
bearnc1
Diesel Technician

I am not too worried about it. I am leaving the end of the week going to the west coast pulling our 35 ft fifth wheel. What gets me it don't do it a 1,200 RPM and gone at 1,400 RPM. I wondering if it something with the turbo coming on.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Storm59
Diesel Enthusiast

I have noticed the same noise on my truck. It only happans at 1300 RPM at low speed, say about 20 -30 mph. Some have said it is a shield, Some turbo vanes, some exhaust flange. I can't seem to pin it down, but it sure is annoying. I have not experienced any power loss or had anything fail and this noise has been going on for a little over a year.
GM technicians look at it said it was a turbo line they replaced it but the noise remains.
I could sure use some advice

2006 Silverado - LT
6.6 LBZ w/Allison
Diablosport Predator - 7186
Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
dandemartini
Diesel Enthusiast

I also have noticed the same "scuffing?" noise that seems to go throughout the cab-originating in the motor area. It appears at 1250rpm goes away at 1400 rpm. It continues whether truck moving or at idle. GM mechanics looked at it for an hour-pushing, pulling on various things to identify the problem-to to avail. They said not to worry about it. But it continues. Any ideas-anyone?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
ChrisRuff
Diesel Enthusiast

I figured it out

Hey Guys, i figured this noise out! it has been driving me insane for the past 2 months! i have an 06 GMC LBZ and i brought it to the dealer and they had it for 3.5 days gave it back charged me $100 and said dont worry about it. i didnt pay them and told them they could pay me 50,000 for my truck and they can have the damn thing if they couldnt figure it out. needless to say i didn't end up paying the $100 so got it home made it do it in the garage by setting the e-brake and stomping on the service brakes and power braking it to 1,300 rpm while my brother in law (john deere mechanic) listened under the truck. finally traced it down to the exhaust. here is how you fix it;

1. Remove the 4 rear push-pins from the front-passenger wheel well (make sure it is the ones for the inner fender not the fender flare.

2. turn steering wheel all the way to the left and tuck the inner fender behind the tire.

3. use a 12mm deep-well socket on a 12" extension (snap-on preferred) (brother is a snap-on dealer)

4. tighten the exhaust clamp that clamps the exhaust pipe to the turbo down-pipe (doughnut style gasket with wrap-around clamp)

5. reinstall push-pins on inner fender

6. FINISHED!

i did this and it hasn't made a "peep" for about 300 miles.

P.S. i got about 2 turns out of the exhaust clamp nut.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
sideburns101
Diesel Fanatic

I tighten the clamp on exhaust and it still makes the noise. Maybe I need to tighten it more?

I also took the tension of the belt to check my idler pulleys to test them. They are not making any noise and have no play in them. I spun the alternator and it seems the bearings are making a grinding noise.

I think the alternator is making the noise on my truck and I went to the dealership and they told me it is about a $600 job to replace it. I told them I will replace the alternator and they wanted $425 for it....WHAT!!!

I found an ACdelco online for $225....I am going to wait for the alternator to get worse before I change it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.