Diesel Place banner

pistons

12K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Curt 
#1 ·
So to beat the dead horse but not to start a war I am going to be replacing the pistons in my LBZ. I have read posts till I can't see. From what I gather the LBZ piston wether stock or delipped and coated has a higher failer rate than that of the LB7 piston. If I get the forged pistons then it probably won't live all that long as a daily driver, tow, and play rig. I am aiming for 700hp and it will have twins. Do I stick with the LBZ and have them cut and coated, do I get the LB7's or spend the money on the forged? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
if you only plan on 700HP stock lb7/lly pistons will work excellent for you...dont waste your time with lbz ones...

however you will be getting very close to rod failure level...
Wow! theses pistons stock seem to hold quite a bit , Im still a bit of a newbe and am still trying to learn the inner workings of this great engine. Are theses pistons forged is that why they can handle so much ? If i was planning a light rebuilt would it be possible for me just to STUD and use a set of aftermarket connecting rods and be able to hold a sufficient amount of power ?
Sorry don't mean to steal the post

#6 ·
So to beat the dead horse but not to start a war I am going to be replacing the pistons in my LBZ. I have read posts till I can't see. From what I gather the LBZ piston wether stock or delipped and coated has a higher failer rate than that of the LB7 piston. If I get the forged pistons then it probably won't live all that long as a daily driver, tow, and play rig. I am aiming for 700hp and it will have twins. Do I stick with the LBZ and have them cut and coated, do I get the LB7's or spend the money on the forged? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
MOST WILL AGREE IF YOUR GONNA OPEN THAT 6.6 UP (DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME);)

#7 ·
cut and coated LB7's will be perfect for you. I know of 2 trucks in my area running them and are both over 800 rwhp.

Forged pistons are about the same price as buying new LB7's and having them cut and coated. If you have the clearances and everything correct with the forged ones you can run them no problem daily.

The LBZ pistons are a true gamble. Guys have put a hole in they're pistons with stock power and some haven't had any problems with them over 600 and even over 700 rwhp. For the cost of these engines the gamble isn't worth it in my book.

#8 ·
cut and coated LB7's will be perfect for you. I know of 2 trucks in my area running them and are both over 800 rwhp.

Forged pistons are about the same price as buying new LB7's and having them cut and coated. If you have the clearances and everything correct with the forged ones you can run them no problem daily.

The LBZ pistons are a true gamble. Guys have put a hole in they're pistons with stock power and some haven't had any problems with them over 600 and even over 700 rwhp. For the cost of these engines the gamble isn't worth it in my book.
Ive herd the term "CUT" and delipped pistons on various other boards just was woundering what goes on in theses processes? I am also woundering why the LBZ pistons seem to be a weaker link then the LB7s ? are the LB7 and LLY pistons the same ?

#10 ·
Who can you purchase LB7 pistons that are cut and coated from? I have been half heartedly looking on the internet with little to no luck finding a vendor.

#12 ·
Was woundering if their are any pro's or cons to looking at a modified OEM piston to a aftermarket forged set, other then the obvious price differance, In my opionion why not just run the forged set if you have the cash why even look at the OEM stuff as a possibilty?

#18 ·
That ?? Just a self portrait. :D
In most cases you remove the inner lip of the piston to alleviate a zone of high failure......the aluminum there is so thin that it easily turns molten at high temps and bad things start to happen. Originally that upper lip was designed to aid in emissions control.

#19 ·
Awesome INFO guys thanks very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.