losing power - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
fitter
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

losing power

hello everyone, i need some help i have a 06 lbz-engine lite comes on loss of power and boost. code p0106, i can clear the code and get my boost back but the lite comes back on within a short time. did a search on the code, most problems were because the map sensor was freezing up. not that problem now. if some one could tell me where the sensor is and do you think replacing it would fix the problem?...mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

INDP Member

Follow the intake from the air filter till you find a sensor on the aluminum block that is three wire. gray, green and I think Yellow but may bewrong on the last color. Maf sensor has like 6 wires on it. Have a tuner on it. If so what brand and model. have you runned it without the tuner if it has one? Post some more details as to mods you have done to your truck.

Brian
Upgrades: Performance Truck Products for 5" MBRP Turboback 6020AL. Alligator Performance for EGR Blocker. DuramaxTuner for EFI-Live with DSP5 ECM Tune and TCM tune. Meyer Performance for Airdog 150 Gen 1 Lift Pump, Diamond Down Pipe. Merchant Automotive for Suncoast IV with 1056 converter, Amsoil Synthetic Fluid in everything, Pitman Arm Fix.
Configure your FlashScan V2 the way it should be http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=401770
Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.
New Toy: 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Red and all stock for now.

Check out: My Garage for pics of the Truck, Mods, and Toys.
UA Steamfitter, Local 136 Evansville, IN

Last edited by Tanc Crusher; 08-20-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
fitter
Diesel Enthusiast

thanks for the reply Brian, i have the banks ottomind with pda,banks ram air and banks exhaust, i have had it on for about a year now with no problems.i don't run it hard.i found the sensor and it had a oily film on it, i cleaned it with some contact cleaner and i drove to work today with no code. does that tube pull air from my filter box? could the oily film be from my k&n filter?....mike
Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher

INDP Member

Never pulled mine to see what it looks like. Since it is oily I say the filter is the cause. It is mostly recommended not to use the oily charged ai filter due to issue like you have. They can kill the sensors over time. Another thing as time goes by and you clean and recharge them they actually start feathering on the inside and become thinner and allow more air to pass cause MAF readings to become out of spec. I would look at converting to a 7 layer dry filter.

Brian
Upgrades: Performance Truck Products for 5" MBRP Turboback 6020AL. Alligator Performance for EGR Blocker. DuramaxTuner for EFI-Live with DSP5 ECM Tune and TCM tune. Meyer Performance for Airdog 150 Gen 1 Lift Pump, Diamond Down Pipe. Merchant Automotive for Suncoast IV with 1056 converter, Amsoil Synthetic Fluid in everything, Pitman Arm Fix.
Configure your FlashScan V2 the way it should be http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=401770
Future: SDP S475 Twin Setup is here-install 6-18-11. On board Air with Side Step Tube Air Tanks, Custom Bed Fuel Tank and Water/Meth Tank.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
steakman
CWI

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Agreed with Tanc.........Suggest you read the air filter study done here on this site. Great reading and surprising results..!!

This was comissioned by "Spicer" a long time member of DP and as a result of all the threads that this filter was better than that filter ad nauseatum......

All I can tell ya is that KnN are about the worst filter to use in a diesel..!

Study attached:

Stk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diesel Air Filter Study.pdf (1.45 MB, 286 views)
265,906 miles (425,450 km)..
orig: Injectors/cp3/HG's..

Pulling a 2011 Coachmen Chaparral
5TH Wheel - PullRight Super Glide 15K
(simply awesome hitch)

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Last edited by steakman; 08-21-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tanc Crusher

INDP Member

Nice reading there Stk.

Brian

Old 08-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
IGO1320
Diesel Master

K+n

Not to stir the pot too much but....the damage to the turbo in that article was not caused by "dust particles" getting past the air filter, you only need to filter the air so clean. If you properly clean your K+N (this means not using compressed air to dry it) and oil it lightly (not till oil drips off) you will never have a problem. If you are installing a K+N for more power it is probably a waste of your time, if you are doing it because it will last and save you money on replacement filters it is worth the time. I don't expect to convert those that are set in there belief's but I just wanted to say some of us have used K+N's for many years and hundreds of thousands of miles with absolutely no problems. I do not sell K+N's and I do not have stock in their company, I just hate to see rocks thrown. Have a good day.
265/75/16 Michelin LTX AT2's on PYO's
Kennedy tow tune
Kitty on a "warm shelf", K+N Drop-in filter
Amsoil in all places, Amsoil BMK-27 Bypass
KYB shocks (stock sucked)
Autometer Boost/Pyro gauges
EGR blocker and (Kennedy) finger stick
Transgo Jr. installed at 77325 miles
Kennedy Pump Rub plate installed, 98060 miles
Kennedy lift pump, reserve tank with transfer pump
2011 LML torque converter.
14.558 @ 91.03 Hypertech now?????
Old 02-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
steakman
CWI

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

IGO..I just had reason to go back to this thread.

I was not in any way throwing rocks at any product...but the study comissioned by Spicer was done by an independant company testing filtration to ASTM standards...bottom line is that KnN came out dead last. I dont think that is indisputable. And I also am quite sure that if one does in facft use a K n N filter, it wont instantly kill your motor. but filtration is filtration and if one filter allows more particulate matter past its media, then it is in fact doing some greater degree of damage to ones motor than a filter that is simply more efficient and does not allow as much particulate past ... Now, having said that, how long that damage may take to show up as visible catastrophic type of damage is anyones guess... right??

I dont argue that using oilable filters is not as good as using a dry paper Donaldson type, I too use oiled filters..AFE's and I have 2 of them for the exact reason you describe. Cost. when you drive as much as I do annually, it simply makes sense to do so...and I change them out regularly...pretty much every 15-20,000km - same time I do oil changes.

Still, I presonally would not run a K n N (in my diesel), just as I would never run a FRAM or Purolator oil filter.

anyway, it is what it is...ea person will have his own opinion..n thats kewl.

Cheers,

Stk
265,906 miles (425,450 km)..
orig: Injectors/cp3/HG's..

Pulling a 2011 Coachmen Chaparral
5TH Wheel - PullRight Super Glide 15K
(simply awesome hitch)

Alberta Coal Roller Member Numero Uno

Last edited by steakman; 02-23-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Marauderer
Diesel Technician

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

Great article. K&N's are noted for passing silicates aka sand and is why K&N offers a special sock to go over the filter and keep out the silicates. I to have stopped running a K&N on any of my motors especially my Lawnmower
07 GMC Classic,LBZ,CCSB,4X4,SLT, 100K mi, Edge Evo Race w/cts, EGR Blocker, PCV Reroute, DE Down Pipe and QT 4" TB Exh, TransGo Jr., Allison deep pan, Suncoast Filter lock, PPE Airbox Mod, Amsoil Fluids, Formula One Tint, Undercover Tonnau, H2 Wheels and 285 Tera Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks w/extenders, Fab Four Rear Bumper, Weather Tech SWD's, Sprayin Bedliner, Garmin Nuvi 1490T, P3 Brake Controller, Pintle Hitch, PPE Tie Rod sleeves, Cognito Pit/Idler Arm Braces, Amsoil Dual Bypass Filters, Alligator Trans Cooler Lines, MA TC Brace
Some mods waiting to be installed, and other mods I have yet to get.
06 Jetta 1.9L TDI, DSG, RC 1+ tune
2009 Puma 29FQS
Sc2450, FEL, BH, MMM, 3PH, CL Trailer Mover
'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination. ' - Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.