Duramax and the case of the disappearing coolant!!!! - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
thedeatons
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Duramax and the case of the disappearing coolant!!!!

I have a 2006 Duramax LLY that has been fairly good to me so far. Here is the current problem: I fill the coolant up to the line with coolant, either Dexcool or the Prestone equivalent, and then with a couple days (or a nice long hill towing a big load) I get the Low Coolant Level alarm on the dash. I check the coolant, and sure enough it is below the seam in the coolant reservoir.

When I initially fill it up some coolant pours out of the overflow for some reason. I have seen it dripping from the overflow when the engine is hot too....

What could this be? I am tired of having to carry extra coolant with me on every trip. The engine simply does not get that hot, just enough to turn the fan on at times, but nothing out of the ordinary.... Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
thejdman04
Diesel Master

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Midwest Smokers Member

Head gaskets, dont shoot the messenger
1998 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 12 Valve 4x4 10ft Dump Body

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2007, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
thedeatons
Diesel Technician

That was the quickest response ever... Okay, now give me an answer that means less money.....???? Any OTHER ideas that it could be MAYBE?

Mobil1 Tranny Oil, Transgo Jr. Shift Kit, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan,

Zinc Plated Bilstein Shocks, Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Bengal Black Powdercoated Wheels, Mastercraft Courser AT2 Tires, GMC Dually Chrome Center Caps.

Debadged, Line-X'd Bed, Levelled Mirrors, Dark Tinted Windows, More Cosmetics to Come...
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
thedeatons
Diesel Technician

Wouldn't I see coolant in the oil or a milkshake in the oil then? My oil looks perfect...

Mobil1 Tranny Oil, Transgo Jr. Shift Kit, Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan,

Zinc Plated Bilstein Shocks, Russell Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Bengal Black Powdercoated Wheels, Mastercraft Courser AT2 Tires, GMC Dually Chrome Center Caps.

Debadged, Line-X'd Bed, Levelled Mirrors, Dark Tinted Windows, More Cosmetics to Come...
Old 10-07-2007, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
bigwalleye
Diesel Fanatic

The coolant desn't always end up in the oil, I would say have the cooling system pressure checked, If it passes I would say you may be onto more expensive options. I have been there man, it is a brutal feeling when these issues start up

Scott

2007 Chevrolet Duramax LBZ 2500hd CC/SB, Edgo EVO, 285's Slight Crank, Transgo Jr
Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
MKAH
Diesel Technician

I agree, the head gasket.
Silver Birch
Toyo 265/75 Open Country AT
N-Fab Nerf Steps (6 step)
Old 10-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
thejdman04
Diesel Master

Illinois Diesel Power (IDP) Member

Midwest Smokers Member

its pry a head gasket, it could be a cracked head, warped head, warped block etc.
1998 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 12 Valve 4x4 10ft Dump Body

Old 10-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
saratoga
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeatons;2049053;
That was the quickest response ever... Okay, now give me an answer that means less money.....???? Any OTHER ideas that it could be MAYBE?
Since I doubt you're over 100K mi, take it to the dealer and have them fix it. Your Dmax has a 100K, $100 deductible warranty that covers every engine component.

I also agree to the head gasket. Is the surge tank bulging when the engine is running or does it have a black residue in it? Coolant will not usually show up in large quantities in the oil (only detectable by oil analysis) when a forced induction engine blows a head gasket. Most of it will blow out the overflow.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Master

are you maybe filling it to much,and maybe you have a bad coolent sensor?,your only sopossed to fill the coolent up to the full line hot ,theres some room for expansion,also you can pressure test the colling system ,,how many miles/kilm's are on your truck?
Old 10-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
NCMIC
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to NCMIC Send a message via MSN to NCMIC

NC Dmax's Member

pressure test and you will see. the head gasket can cause the coolant to go in several places. It could also cause your coolant to blow out the resevoir. do your tests and see what it is. be ready though, if you don't see coolant anywhere on the ground or on the block. how many miles on your truck?
Diablosport, CB Antenna Mount Bracket (Stock Look),Tinted Windows, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs, Visualogic Backup Camera, Finger Stick and Blocker Plate, 4" MBRP exhaust, More Mods to come

04.5 2500HD LS 4X4 LLY Ext Cab LB Dark Gray Metallic 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVOS
Under seat storage / XM Satellite Radio / K&N Air Filter in Stock Box / ISSPRO Pillar Guages
ARE Impulse Topper with windoors w/ sliders and tilt down front window
Predator Diablosport/Fingers Stick and EGR Blocked, Plate/Straight-piped, Billsteins/Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs

Member # 17 of NC DMax's Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.