Jump starting an '06 Duramax - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
vandave
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Jump starting an '06 Duramax

Camped a lot, towed a lot, had half dozen trucks, but this is my first diesel. I noticed two batteries. If you have to jump start the engine, how do you connect to the batteries or do you only connect to one battery? May sound like a dumb question but I always like to be prepared in case there's an emergency or I'm trying to help someone else. This is my first post on the site and I have to say the site comes close to major information overload. But man, can you find out the stuff. Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel_Dog
Diesel Technician

Have a look in your engine bay, there should be a small red box near a battery, open it and this is positive. There should be a negative tab near by. This is how it is on my 03 LB7 anyways.

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
CRASHNBURN
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

TN Diesel Place Club Member

I do not have the answer to your question. Just a little extra information. I was told if you are going to jump start somebody you should have your truck shut off or else you could blow the glow plugs.
2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air System with Super Scoop, Banks Monster Dual Exhaust with Cat & Muffler delete pipes, Edge insight, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, 33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller.

(Special thanks to Edge Products -Aaron Stewart & Rob Story.... Peter Treydte & Jeff Barker from Banks Power, Keith from Hptuners)

Used Tuners
CTS Race with backup camera, Edge Juice, Edge Evolution & Edge Evolution Race all with hot codes. Banks sixgun & Ottomind. HPTuners Pro version.

Thank you to all the troops out there.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Dually
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Dually Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel Dually

You can jump from either side. I would put the positive on the terminal under the red box that should be on your driver's side, and ground on the terminal above that.

'02 Chebby CCLB 3500 D/A LS 4x4: See my garage for mods
Member #34 of the Dually Club
Click HERE to Search the Diesel Place!
Clich HERE to edit or add to your signature!
Click HERE for Vendor Information!
Click HERE for Dealer Feedback
Click HERE to send me a PM about how pissed off you are.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
SleeperTRK
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHNBURN;1381285;
I do not have the answer to your question. Just a little extra information. I was told if you are going to jump start somebody you should have your truck shut off or else you could blow the glow plugs.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
jdugie123
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to jdugie123 Send a message via Yahoo to jdugie123

Lone Star Diesels Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHNBURN;1381285;
i have never heard of this not to say it isn't true but i think i need to look into this more the company i work for has a number of trucks and the guys leave things on in the trucks and i am always the one that get the call to go and jump them its hell being the shop guy sometimes

Traded In
: 04.5 D/A MBRP 4" cool duals with muffler delete, volant air intake, EFI Live,raptor 100gph, suncoast level IV, ATS copilot, nicktane fuel filter, 6" RCD, 37" Super Swamper M16s , 4.56 gears, bushwacker cutout fender flares, wet okolie set covers, MTX subs with a sony amp, full replacement front with 9.5K warn winch built in and rear replacement bumpers, B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch
Old 10-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
CRASHNBURN
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

TN Diesel Place Club Member

I did say could not will. The gm mechanics I know told me this. Hey I how it is not true too. Just passing on the information that was told to me.
2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air System with Super Scoop, Banks Monster Dual Exhaust with Cat & Muffler delete pipes, Edge insight, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, 33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel, Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller.

(Special thanks to Edge Products -Aaron Stewart & Rob Story.... Peter Treydte & Jeff Barker from Banks Power, Keith from Hptuners)

Used Tuners
CTS Race with backup camera, Edge Juice, Edge Evolution & Edge Evolution Race all with hot codes. Banks sixgun & Ottomind. HPTuners Pro version.

Thank you to all the troops out there.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
SleeperTRK
Diesel Master

So its not true? I was also told this, no first hand account
Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
taviking22
Diesel Fanatic

My 2006 Silverado owner's manual Section 5, pages 52-55, describes the steps both for gas and diesel engine jump starting.

My LBZ Duramax Diesel Guide does not mention correct jump starting procedures. I guess I would follow my owner's manual descriptions.

You should be able to download digital copies (pdf) of your truck's manuals at https://www.mygmlink.com if you don't have hard copies.
•Tracker Pro Guide 16 SC Boat
Old 10-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Coolbreeze
Diesel Master

Blowing the Glow Plugs?

That doesn't compute since how does a surge in either AMPS of hurt something down stream such as a glow plug which probably doesn't draw much current at all. I completely dispell the glow plugs being blown due to voltage since the surge is only what 4 or 5 volts at best. You get a 2 or 3 volt swing everytime you start your truck!

If you post something like that it would be best if you didn't cite 2nd or 3rd hand information. Some mechanics are good but I have found for the most part that they just echo some crap they have heard. Blowing the rectifier in the Alternator of Voltage Regulator now that I believe since it is those components that are handling a high surge of current.

Just trying to help people from not spazing out about little anecdotes here and there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement