Egr Valve Replacement - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Third Generation: 2006-2007.5 (LBZ & LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
dhalltoyo
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Egr Valve Replacement

I have 60K on my 2006 Express Cargo Van with the Duramax Engine.

Once, at 30K, I had the "Check Engine" light come on. Code indicated a one second duration EGR fault. Reset was done and PCM updates done.

Three weeks ago week, at 59K, the "Check Engine" light came on again. After a few stops and starts during a 3 hour time frame it went off.

Last week it came back on again. GM dealer check indicated EGR codes again. Reset was done and I have driven another 1000 miles; light remains off.

The van is completely stock.

I have been reading your posts about the EGR valve replacements.

Are the valves themselves failing or is there a problem also related to the PCM?

Are the replacement valves redesigned?

If my dealer just ordered one this week will it be a newly designed valve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Puffer
Diesel Master

They certainly do change but I can not add specific's .

www.AlligatorPerformance.com
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
dhalltoyo
Diesel Enthusiast

Why?

You can't tell me the specs or you don't know the specs?

If you know the specs then why can't you tell me?
Old 09-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Puffer
Diesel Master

What I been told , they , "the dealer " are told to clean up the egr valving first and if that doesnt work replace the egr motor.

www.AlligatorPerformance.com
Old 10-14-2006, 02:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
dhalltoyo
Diesel Enthusiast

EGR Valve Is Huge!

My local dealer is replacing mine as a courtesy because I am a commercial account. I wanted to ask the tech something about the time necessary to replace the EGR Valve. GM allows 4 hours. On my van a lot has to be removed to get at the EGR Valve (Fluid tank, alternator, internal fender shroud, etc.).

He pulled the replacement part of the box and I couldn't believe how big it was. I had seen EGR Valves for cars and they kind of looked like overgrown thermostats. This thing for a Duramax is as big as a starter.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
jspool
Banned

EGR Bad!!!! put a blocker plate in, and clean your intake.
then from that point your intake will no longer have to look like a smokers lung!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
ZeroCool
Diesel Enthusiast

My EGR went at about 9k. They told me to bring it in as the part would be there on a Thurs., This was on a Mon. The part was delayed at GM they ended up keeping the van 13 days. The part finally came in, they finally replaced it and by the time I got it home it was leaking coolant. Took it back, the technician came up and said he must have over filled the radiator as I guess it had to be pulled to get to the EGR. I told the service guy that was bull**** and I wanted a new serpentine belt because I know what coolant will do to a belt. I also told him the leak would not stop. He agreed and told me to bring the van back at the first of the week to replace the belt. It leaked like hell over the week end in my driveway. They have had it now for 7 days. They said the radiator has a leak and they cannot find one. GM is on back order. I finally called and threatened to get every VP at GM I know involved in this and that my buddy at another dealership said they can go to out source a part if GM is truly back ordered on it.

In the past month they have had my van about 20 days to fix items. This is on top of the other times I had to bring it back to get the tow haul switch fixed and problems with the doors.

I am about to see about getting an arbitrator to negotiate with GM to take it back. I have done a lot of work for GM in the past and in the past two years bought, for my own use, about 250k in cars. This is on top of my business purchases. Power steering pump failure on my new Z71, when my new corvette had a terrible gas odor, they said I over filled it, that's where the gas was coming from. I had to get my salesman involved. Turned out it had a hole in the fuel neck to gas tank. This has really brought my love of GM to a rock bottom low. When I tell this story to a lot of people, even ones who have worked at GM for a long time some of them will actually say "You should not buy a first year vehicle". With an attitude like that we will all be eating rice soon.

We have a one ton dually 4wd coming in thirty days, another 50k I have invested in GM. I hope this one with the LBZ will be better. If I had it to do over I would NOT buy a Duramax van.

I know this went slightly off topic.. but if you take it to the dealership get it in writting they have the part in their hands and in writting on when you will get it back.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
dhalltoyo
Diesel Enthusiast

What Other Problems

Doors?

Tow/Haul Switch?

Could you give me a little more detail on exactly what problems you had with those items?

Anything else?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
ZeroCool
Diesel Enthusiast

Tow haul switch fell out of the dash, of course had to order one, took about a week to get it in. The side cargo doors will not close exactly the same. The top is closer than the bottom. They said they adjusted it but it still does it. Those are just the small items. I am supposed to get it back tomorrow after a week of having it to install a new radiator. I like my van, a lot. I just think that this is the tip of the ice berg. My salesman spoke to me when we were ordering the new dually and said that GM was having a lot of issues with the vans overheating. I have not had that problem yet and have not seen to many posts about it any where. He is a really honest guy and I don't see him blowing smoke on this one. When I said I had not had any issues he just said you will.

Again I am not a troll on here trying to bash the duramax. I just hope and pray that this is the end of the issues with the van I would really like to keep it but over twenty days in the shop to fix crap is really pushing it. I have been told if I take it down the long dark road of arbitration they will at least throw in a 5/100 on the whole vehicle to make the problem go away. I would be cool with that I guess but just the idea that this thing will be down every 20k or so to replace an EGR is really pushing the limits on what I feel is optimal service. What the hell is causing the EGRs to stick. I know its soot but there has to be an underlying cause to have so many reports on so many sites. My big question will be is the egr covered by the EPA/smog warranty or will this problem persist into and past the 3/36?

I love the torque and the ride. The mileage is great but if I had it to do over I might have gone the dually w/work body route if I had read a post like this. I like working out of a van and I wanted to combine that with the diesel but this has been a bite in the ***.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
dhalltoyo
Diesel Enthusiast

EGR Update

ZeroCool,

I understand your frustration. GM quality has improved, but there remains a prevailing attitude of resting on one's past accomplishments. When your the BIGGEST of the BIG THREE you can get a little puffed up and forget how you got to be number one.

Personally, I believe the dealership has ultimate power in this whole customer/manufacturer/dealer triad. You call GM and they refer you back to the dealer. Custoemr service at GM has a prerecorded message that they hold up to the phone when you are talking with them. It goes a little like this, "I apologize that you are experiencing some concerns with your new vehicle. Unfortunately, I do have the authority to make any decision regarding the repair of your vehicle. I will contact the dealer and get back to you. Can you be reached at this number?"

Therefore, it is extremely important to do business with a dealer that has a separate commercial vehicle department. Mine has a separate building with lifts and racks capable of handling motorhomes and dump trucks. I have been to small dealers that didn't have a lift large enough for my 1 ton extended wheelbase van.

When my Check Engine light came on the third time, I called my dealer and he immediately ordered the new EGR valve. The warranty was out at 50K and I had 61K at that time. He convinced GM to do courtesy warranty replacement as it was an ongoing issue when it was still under 50K.

A dealer in SC reprogrammed the PCM and I drove another 4K without the light coming on again. Yes, GM was backordered on the part and it took them 5 days to get one delivered, but the van was operating perfectly.

It took them 4 hours to replace the valve. The radiator does not have to be removed. The old one was clean. The service tech, who has 22 years of experience, indicated that cheap fuel is a huge problem because it produces soot. I haul expedited freight so I buy 99% of my fuel at truck stops that have fresh fuel being delivered daily. I also run Stanadyne Performance Fuel Additive in every tank of diesel.

The service tech believes the exhaust gas flow was such that it created a false reading by the sensors. The new EGR is redesigned and the new PCM program was created accordingly.

Other than a power steering hose incorrectly routed that rubbed against a pulley and wore through at 1200 miles. I have not experienced any other problems in 65K miles of driving.

I attribute much of that to my dealer who checks everything when it is in for normal maintenance.

Last edited by dhalltoyo; 10-17-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.