Diesel Place banner

Serpintine Belt Squeak

4K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bigpower 
#1 ·
2001 Chevy 8.1 L with a belt squeak since it was new. Does anybody have any suggestions, belt has been replaced multiple times to no avail. Would the P.S. pump being out of line cause this and is it a common problem with this truck.

#2 ·
My Dad's 8.1 Suburban has the same exact issue - belt squeak even after multiple belt replacements.

Sorry I'm no help, but hopefully someone here has some info on this.

#3 ·
I had a bad squeak and it ended up to be the belt. However, I didn't realize that until I replaced the idler and tensioner pullies first. Try that. Replace one at a time to see if that is the cure.

#4 ·
Mine has done the same thing since new. The dealer first replaced the belt. That took care of it for awhile. Then they placed the tensioner and the belt. That took care of it for awhile then it came back so they replaced the AC belt and tensioner. That didn't help. They replaced the main tensioner and belt again. It helped but it came back again this winter. Now the truck is out of warranty so I will live with the squeak, it only does it when it's cold. It usually goes away after a few minutes.:(

#5 ·
with engine off, throw sand or brake rotor shavings on belt then start it up. What is happening is the belt and pulleys get a "glaze" on them and causes the squeak. Replacing the belt is a band aid but breaking the glaze does the trick.
First put a straight edge against pulleys and make sure they're true, out of alignment pulleys will squeak too

#6 ·
Re: Squeaking Belt

This is pretty common it seems on all the GM trucks, In the end I tried a Goodyear "Gatorback" belt, it has small rubber cleats similar to a tire, not just ribs. After that, no more squeaks.

I tried de-glazing and even belt dressing with no lasting result. The aftermarket belt has been going strong for more than 50,000 miles so far.

#7 ·
This is pretty common it seems on all the GM trucks, In the end I tried a Goodyear "Gatorback" belt, it has small rubber cleats similar to a tire, not just ribs. After that, no more squeaks.

I tried de-glazing and even belt dressing with no lasting result. The aftermarket belt has been going strong for more than 50,000 miles so far.
:exactly:

I put Goodyear "Gatorback" belts on my 8100 about 2 months ago. I also replaced the idler pulley at the same time with a Goodyear "Gatorback" pulley. No more squeeky....don't know if it was the pulley or the belt, or both, but it's gone.

#8 ·
Same here, in 10,000 miles had the belt replaced by the dealer while under an extended warranty. In those 10,000 miles they replaced the belt 3 times and the squeak came back. After reading this post about the Gator Back, went down to AutoZone and bought one and put it on. Once again the squeak is gone with a new belt. Hopefully it is gone for a long while now. Does your GatorBack belts make it sound like there is a mini turbo under the hood?

#10 ·
How long has the squeak been gone with the die electric grease? Eveytime I tried somthing new to get rid of the squeak it would come back the squeak would come back after short while. I have gone about 1000 miles with this gator back belt and haven't heard the squeak yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.