Diesel Place banner

205 Suburban with 5.3 coolant disappearing

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wynot 
#1 · (Edited)
Thats a 2005 not a 205.

Last month I noticed the coolant in my suburban was pretty low (not in resevor). It never overheated or threw any codes. I checked the oil and theres no water in it. It runs great. I do sometimes get a wiff of coolant when its idling like its leaking and evaporating. Whatever it is its a slow discahrge because I check it today and its a little less but still in the resevor. Do these water pumps have the same issues as the D-max's?

#2 ·
had to replace intake manifold gaskets b/c of coolant leak in my 02 4.3. have had slight coolant smell for 2 years sometimes, right after heater core replacement. but no leak now.

#3 ·
If you are not leaking then you are burning it.
Pressure test with tester and see if you are leaking anywhere. or after long drive check if you are leaking any coolant.
If you don't find any leak, then go buy block tester (any auto part) this will tell you that your engine coolant has any exhaust gases inside the cooling system.
If you have exhaust gases inside the cooling system you have a bigger problem.
hope this help
good luck

#4 ·
Thats a 2005 not a 205.

Last month I noticed the coolant in my suburban was pretty low (not in resevor). It never overheated or threw any codes. I checked the oil and theres no water in it. It runs great. I do sometimes get a wiff of coolant when its idling like its leaking and evaporating. Whatever it is its a slow discahrge because I check it today and its a little less but still in the resevor. Do these water pumps have the same issues as the D-max's?
water pump gaskets have been updated,most likely the cause

#5 ·
Look at the vent hole under the pump.... there's no coolant in the intake on the new engines as there is on the 4.3,5.7 etc.

#6 ·
Yours may be like mine, good luck finding it. I never have. Neither has the dealer.

I infrequently get a whiff of warm coolant, and that quick it is gone. There is a cap theory, which says, get a new reservoir cap. I just make sure mine is cranked down as hand tight as I could get it, and I haven't had the situation in several years.

I do carry a premixed soda bottle of Dexcool and water in the Tahoe, and since doing that, I have never needed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.