Ford V10 twin turbo's? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Vehicles > Any Other Vehicles
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
AGGAR
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AGGAR

INDP Member

Midwest Smokers Member

Ford V10 twin turbo's?

Is it possible to put twin turbos on a V10 Ford?? My neighbor has a nice lifted CCSb with the v10. He just wants something different. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
big block 88
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Kansas Chapter DP Club Member

The V10 is no where near a stout enough platform for this kinda abuse. Our welding truck where I work back in the states had a V10, it had a very nasty problem with blowin spark plugs out of the head (3 times). I am not sayin this is normal by anymeans. With enough money anything is possible. I hope he doesn't think it will be cheap.

I would say the best bet would be to get with ProCharger and check there units out.
-"Bruiser" 88 chevy C3500 RC/LB 454 SM465 alot of damn miles soon to be a Chummins conversion
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
keith_2500hd
Diesel Master

one of those STS systems might be way to go, engine compartment looked tight last one i looked at.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
diamondshocks
Diesel Technician

ya ryan, i wont. they cant take it. they have hard enough time keeping spark plugs in them as said. i have to fix quick a few of these at dad shop over the years. not worth it
Airtake: S&B intake
Fueling: Airdog 150
Turbo: SDP 64.5mm
Transmission: Stock, soon to change
Suspension: Firestone Air Bags, add a leaf, shock extenders, tie rod sleeves
Tires: 255/85R16 BFG KM2
Exterior: Stainless rocker panels, Stainless punched grill, TTT-Mirror pull out towing mirror (highly recommend over any other mirror period), Spray in bed liner, B&W Hitch
Old 06-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jasondt2001
Diesel Master

I've seen many a plugs come out as projectiles from those things also...

In theory, you can double or triple charge ANYTHING - it's if it will self destruct is where you'll hit problems.
I might check out a gasser v10 forum and ask there, it's like around here for diesel stuff, there's usually at least one guy that's been there done that and will help ya.

BAD AMERICAN #1
MEMBER #421 OF THE DUALLY CLUB!

Traded but not forgotten:
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab S/B 1500 Non HD Z-71 With the 5.3 V8 Non Aluminum Stock (Darn good truck)
Old 06-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Diesel Technician

I was a V-10 nut hugger before seeing the light and getting my Dmax. I actually had 2 of them over the years. Spitting plugs was a Ford problem from '99 thru early build '01's it is not exclusive just to the V-10. As far as big gas engines go today, I think the Ford V-10 is still one of the best out there.

Now with all that said, the newer 3-valve heads ('05 and newer) make a good platform to build from, as would a later '01-'04 engine with PI heads. (2 Valve). They have 9 threads instead of the earlier 4 threads on the heads prone to spitting plugs.
To do it right, you should look at building the motor first. Put some good rods, forged pistons, and you're good to go. All V-10's come with a forged crank.

I'm actually in the middle of building my own TT V-10 (3Valve). Not sure what I'm going to put it in just yet, but I'm too far committed not to build it now. I've considered my already built '05 Mustang, but not too sure just yet.

New truck is a 2011 GMC Denali trim, HD2500 CCSB.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jasondt2001
Diesel Master

^^^^ LOL you don't even have to wander, you're answer came from within the site..

Damn, a built v10 in a mustang would be a frame twister for sure!

BAD AMERICAN #1
MEMBER #421 OF THE DUALLY CLUB!

Traded but not forgotten:
2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab S/B 1500 Non HD Z-71 With the 5.3 V8 Non Aluminum Stock (Darn good truck)
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
DirtyDogOfTheDesert
Diesel Technician

Yeah and it actually fits. I had the V-10 motor sitting in the car once bolted in with the tranny, when I was in the middle of my 4.6 build. Planning for the future.

New truck is a 2011 GMC Denali trim, HD2500 CCSB.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
f250powerhouse
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

All early triton engines (99-03) were prone to this problem, it wasn't as common as some people lead on, hell the lightnings were supercharged and were extremely reliable. A supercharger makes a nice addition to any year model Ford V10. But a twin turbo is going to need some engine work as ANY gasoling engine would before a boost like that.
Casserly 225's
Elite stage 3 fuel system
Mahle pistons, Elite LPOP gears, Elite stage II cam, Elite valvetrain, Chromemoly pushrods, Forged rods
ARP headstuds, FCDP EGR delete
ZEX twin bottles, two stages
SCT innovative tuning
NADP transmission
Six cupholders
Old 06-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
05duramax073
Diesel Technician

I like the mustang Idea. That would be wicked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.