98 Chevy Cummins conversion (Pics in here!) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > Other Vehicles > Any Other Vehicles
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

Badger State Diesel Club Member

98 Chevy Cummins conversion (Pics in here!)

I started with a 98 Chevy K3500 Silverado, I bought the truck at 133,000 miles in August of 05 and the thing held together by a miracle for 10,000 miles exhaust valve broke on the #3 cylinder took out the piston. After being down for 3 months I got a used motor in it in the Fall of 06, the new engine got me through college and a new job for another 20,000 hard miles. The clutch was going out on it and finally it died in May of 08, fuel shut-off soleniod, I beleive but no matter I had already decided I was going to put a 12v in it and I was planning on cutting it up the following weekend.

The truck started with intentions of being a daily driver/puller, but I found a steal on a 05 Duramax that got priced wrong as a 6.0 gasser, during the progress of the swap and decided it would be a dedicated puller instead. Changed my mind a million times on what the final set-up will be with the motor and I'll prolly change it again. But right now, it will be a 2.6" or 2.8" puller, with the capability of changing it back to a daily driver someday with a turbo change should I decide to sell it or get out of pulling.

The motor is out of a 96 Dodge Cummins, it has a 180 p-pump on it. I retained the original GM NV4500/borg warner combo to back up the motor. Up front the original 9.25 IFS will be retained with the steering beefed up. Out back there will be a 11.5" AAM out of a 03 Dodge Cummins. I also have converted it from a DRW set-up to a SRW.

Its been along time going, and had plans of getting it going this year, but prolly wont happen been putting away money for a house, so most of the stuff I do or buy lately has been from good deals on the net I find and other budget stuff. But no excuses "Cummin on Strong" will be ready for next year.

Before the swap, and the load that nearly ripped my clutch out.

Last edited by z79outlaw; 06-15-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

Picture of the motor in the truck after I got back from a 12 hour trip to Findlay, Ohio

I had to remove the powersteering/vacuum pump from the 96 and I sourced a hyrdoboost pump off a 24 valve cummins and mated it to the vacuum pump to run the brakes on my Chevy. I have no need for the vacuum pump and have the ports plugged but the way dodge has it set-up you have both or none.

Last picture of the 6.5 in the truck

I installed 3" body lift in my truck to make fitment better. Its not nessacary but I prefer the advantage of the body lift in the GMT-400 platform, it really makes the swap alot easier though.

Motor out of the truck.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

Motor and trans out. Plenty of room for the big 5.9 to fit.

Test fitting the new motor.

Fabbing up my own motor mount brackets. I decided to make my own bracket as it allowed me to put the wont where I wanted it. I wanted it as low as I could put it, and as far back as I could get it, so I would have the option to run a mechanical fan should I ever decided to daily drive it. The mounts from autoworld would not allow for this.

How the 1st generation Dodge motor mounts are intalled iin the frame.

Picture of the piece of frame I had to clearence to allow the motor to fit.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

Every time I would slide the motor in and out I kept getting hung up on the pinch weld between the cab and firewall I got sick of it and pounded it out of the way.

Close-up of the custom motor mounts. You can see how they bolt up to the motor and allow them to just slide over the protruding bolts on the motor mounts.

Picture of how the mounts fit and the clearence. Passenger and Drivers side.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

Picture of the motor sitting in the mounts and bolted it.

Lots of room for a mechanical fan.

And I can still fit my whole hand between the motor and firewall.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

To run a GM nv4500 you need a 96 + newer one. Other than the mainshafts they are very similar. I swapped in a 1-3/8" SBC billet input shaft that dwarfs the 1-1/8 stock shaft. I went with a SBC Dual Disk 3850 12 button Feramic plate clutch. I got all of that from Cody at Flirtn With Disaster Performance, probably the best SBC prices around. I also had to purchase a SBC upgraded hydrualic unit. It was close to perfect fit. The line was a little tight, but it worked. The main issue was that the clutch linkage from the master cylinder to the pedal was to short to engage the clutch, so we cut it and brazed a 1" piece to get te clutch to work properly.

Comparison of the inputs and the $25 a quart transmission fluid

Bad ass Rebuildable SBC flywheel with removable inserts

Picture of the Clutches

Everything installed and torqued

Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

I removed the box and stripped the frame down to bare metal from the cab back (planning on doing the cab forward in the winter). A knotted wire wheel, milwaukee grinder and alot of time. POR-15 2 coats, and then painted flat black to protect the POR-15. The POR adhered to the metal great where the was rust. But where it had been painted of virgin bare steel the results were less than impressive. Even following all of there techniques and using the product the recommend to use on bare metal it still didnt adhere well. But other wise I was happy with it.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
05duramax073
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

That is going to be sick.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
z79outlaw
Banned

You live in the Grove too I see, I'll have it down in the area this winter, you'll have to stop by or somthing. Whats your truck look like maybe I've seen ya around
Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
05duramax073
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I actually just traded in my DMAX. I went with an 09 Powerstroke. I know it is the enemy on this board, but I loved my DMAX. I just to good of a deal to pass up. My new truck is a 09 F350 CC with blue on top and tan on the bottom. If i get the chance in the next year I want to buy a 05-06 LLY RC LB. Build it up for pulling. But yeah I would definitely like to see the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.