lly trans build questions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison Aftermarket
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
stoddardlly
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

lly trans build questions

So ive done some searching but havent found too much. Pretty sure ill be building the trans down the road but i got the 5spd...buddy jus gotta stock lbz and trans shifts so nice n consistently n the lockup locks nice before 4th...i dont like mine...roll into it like on the istate on ramp n runnin ppes lvl3 tune n 35's (goin back to 285's soon) it jus is soo loose on the torque converter when unlocked...what could i do other than building it to make it shift good n not slip the tc too bad unlocked. Ps like drivn in tow haul but if i roll into it before it locks i gotta lift to lock it( waiting till 25 mph) if ya need to i could post a vid of the tach & speedo...

05 GMC 2500HD LLY CCSB, LBZ MP, PPE Standard lvl 3, Flex-a-lite Fans, Dual 210A Alternators, 5" Flow Pro Front Pipe Back Exhaust, ProFab Downpipe, ARP Head Studs, Gutted Stock Airbox, AEM Dryflow Panel Filter, Sinister EGR Delete, Merchant Auto Pump Rub Fix, Cognito Upper Control Arms and Brace Kit, and PCV Delete.

Last edited by stoddardlly; 01-26-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
stoddardlly
Diesel Fanatic

bump...any ideas guys...saw a post a while back bout the newer torque converters that had a lower stall speed than stock and it was commented that these coupled like crazy when unlocked. im curious is this just something i should be lookin into? why would my stocker be pushin through so bad is this supposed to be normal. seems like newer stock lbz's n newer dmaxes i drive couple awsome like you hit it and it pulls about 4-500rpm slip and shifts awsome. i know my trans will be built someday but for now it just seems so sloppy and doesnt put any power to the ground. (had thought that the stator clutch had issues and had a new stock t/c put in under a service contract i had...i should have talked the boss into lettn me put in an aftermarket one cuz he got my head studs paid for when i did head gaskets on it.)

05 GMC 2500HD LLY CCSB, LBZ MP, PPE Standard lvl 3, Flex-a-lite Fans, Dual 210A Alternators, 5" Flow Pro Front Pipe Back Exhaust, ProFab Downpipe, ARP Head Studs, Gutted Stock Airbox, AEM Dryflow Panel Filter, Sinister EGR Delete, Merchant Auto Pump Rub Fix, Cognito Upper Control Arms and Brace Kit, and PCV Delete.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Tech
Diesel Master

All depends on what you are looking for. A low stall/ quick couple sounds great until you put it behind stock power and load a trailer and or camper, then it sucks! You need to first figure out what you want it to do then build for that.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
stoddardlly
Diesel Fanatic

Well if i do a coverter its gettn a full normal build anyways...and id probably pull on my ppe lvl 3 tune...so no stock power and dont see how a low stall converter would hinder towing as u pull in t/h and once you get to 2nd it locks...1st is plenty low n i dont pull over 10k...plus no matter what a t/c doesnt overdrive n people pull with manuals no problem. Im not really askin which t/c to go with just why my stocker doesnt couple for anything.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Tech
Diesel Master

Think about what a torque converter does.... it multiplies torque up when not in lockup. Once in lockup, provided the clutch does not slip they are all the same. Towing and getting a heavy load moving from a stop with a low torque multiplying converter you are going to notice and most who have done it wish they didn't. Now if you have the engine power turned up it may not matter as much, which is why I said stock engine power in my earlier post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement