Cracked rear housing... what next? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison Aftermarket
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
bhsmedley
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Cracked rear housing... what next?

Noticed a trans fluid leak the other day after some looking around found a small crack in what I though was just a spacer plate. After 2 tubes of JB weld and a roll of liquid steel it still leaked. Took the transfer case off and saw a crack around the entire inside of the trans housing. After taking the bolts out of the rear of the trans and a little prying I noticed the rear shaft wasn't moving looked inside and seen the little clutch springs and it doesn't want to slide back together.
Any ideas where I can find a new rear housing and how to get it back together, I used to simple old TH350s and this has got me a little nervous and I'm sure Suncoast doesn't warranty again casing cracks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
trentnell
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

if it is the extension housing you have to get it from gm, i f it was me i would pull the tranny to do the repair, you might be able to do it with it in the truck but there are alot of partsb thatcould come out with the extension housing of and there is a spac`er that you need to make sure stays aligned , get an atsg manual, you can download for 20 bucks at atsg.com, and it will make more sense, if it is the extension housing that is cracked its about 500 bucks from gm , is it a built tranny or stock, and the spacer i mentioned if not aligned properly during install might be able to crack the extension housing from being forced together and ran ? good luck to ya , hope this info helps.

Best ET 9.86 , Best MPH 146, Both on fuel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Nell View Post
Be careful if you start the jorney , Diesel performance is as adictive as "Heroin " but 10 times as expensive
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
trentnell
Diesel Master

see page 108 of atsg manual for the sun gear spacer goes in after the main shaft and p2 sun gear i think the springs you saw are the c5 return springs . if the spacer was bound up during install you should see some damadge to the splines on the inside of the spacer

Best ET 9.86 , Best MPH 146, Both on fuel only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Nell View Post
Be careful if you start the jorney , Diesel performance is as adictive as "Heroin " but 10 times as expensive

Last edited by trentnell; 06-09-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
jmg343
Diesel Master

Send a message via Yahoo to jmg343

you can get the rear extension housing from Suncoast too. They even make a billet rear extension housing, but its pricey. You can also do it with the trans in the truck, I did it, it was actuall kinda easy. But, you do have to be cautious as the rear clutches and steels will come flying out on you, as will the parking pawl and a few other small pieces. As long as you know how everything goes back in, your fine. I did mine in a few hours.
reg cab member "lucky 13"
BIKES:
05 KTM 525EXC
00 KTM 520SX
07 FXSTC--A/N Big Sucker-Hooker Toublemakers-TTS Mastertune-more
Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
modified
Diesel Master

Suncoast claims driveline vibration, like from worn U-joints can cause the rear housing to crack, that's why they sell the T-case bracket. Because of the way the T-case is only supported by the transmission, about 80 lbs is hanging off the trans extension.
Allison redesigned the rear extension housing with more or larger gussets because of this problem.
You can order the parts from Merchant:
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/a...ousing4x4.aspx
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/s...casebrace.aspx

Don't forget to check/replace your U-Joints.

2002 Chev 2500HD Dmax/Allison X-Cab LB 4WD, B&W Goose Hitch with Companion 5th Wheel, Highway Products Tool Chest, Jordan Ultima 2020, Frederico sway bars front & rear, Air Lift SD Bags

Last edited by modified; 06-09-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
dodgedieseldad
Diesel Fanatic

pm me if you want i know a place to get genuine allison parts for a third what you can buy them anywhere else.
proud member #499 3500 dually club
Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mike L.
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedieseldad View Post
pm me if you want i know a place to get genuine allison parts for a third what you can buy them anywhere else.
So you can get me Allison spin on filters for 2.50, NSBU switches for 18.00, deep pans for 20.00? I can gaurantee you a minimum 100,000.00 order within the hour.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
bhsmedley
Diesel Enthusiast

All the u-joints are good but the fields have been muddy around here and I had some clay packed in the duals and haven't driving it that much, surely that wouldn't be enough of a vibe to split that housing all the way around would it?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
jmg343
Diesel Master

Send a message via Yahoo to jmg343

mine cracked due to a severly worn u-joint and a bad vibration that I couldnt find. The vibration turned out to be the bad u joint that I somehow missed. Oh yeah, and mine cracked with the transfer case bracket installed.
reg cab member "lucky 13"
BIKES:
05 KTM 525EXC
00 KTM 520SX
07 FXSTC--A/N Big Sucker-Hooker Toublemakers-TTS Mastertune-more
Old 06-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
IOWA LLY
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg343 View Post
Oh yeah, and mine cracked with the transfer case bracket installed.

2009 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion
2010 ECI Diesel Truck Points Champion

Best 1/8th, 7.29, 98.6MPH (Street tires, fuel only)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement