Tranny Cooler Help (2002 Duramax) - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison Aftermarket
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
duramax1516
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Tranny Cooler Help (2002 Duramax)

Hi All
I am new and I have browsed a bit but found no end reports on my problem.
The vehicle with the problem is a 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD. Duramax, Allison 1000, CrewCab With a Long Box. It is mainly used to tow a 5th wheel and at times a camper and trailer with ATV's. Like a couple others on here I have problems with excessive tranny heat buildup when going slow. Even unloaded it begins warming quickly if going real slow and takes forever to cool down. After looking at the crappy cooler size (5x13) and location GM picked to mount the cooler on my truck (directly in the center of the engine fan and hidden behind the large Chevrolet emblem) where air flow is restricted most it is no wonder why. From what I can see increasing the size of the tranny cooler and maybe including a fan kit to increase air-flo through the cooler while going slow would generate the biggest bennefit towards correcting my problem. Mounting location for larger cooler/fan unit due to GM Grill mounts etc. make this somewhat of a problem but I am sure other have overcome this. I would like hear from people who have upgraded their coolers and the results afterwards. How they dealt with transmission line issues when making connections to additional or larger size coolers etc. . Any pointers would be very helpfull.

It sounds as if "MIKE L." would be a good man to seek advice from according to a couple posts but I really would like to hear reports on the outcome of various upgrade options..before I bother him since I am unsure as to my actual solution route.

Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Duramax1516
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
turk walker
Diesel Technician

I just put one of Mike L.'s coolers on.quite a bit bigger than stock,uses stock lines and was a piece of cake to install.
I would highly recommend one.
I have not pulled my 5er w/ it installed so I don't know how much it is going to effect the temps,but running empty the temps are down.
BILLET FUEL PICKUP,BILSTIENS
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
dennis10
Diesel Technician

I had an 02 dually with the same problem as you. I finally ordered a Mike L. cooler (which is a lot bigger), installed a MagHytec deep pan and dropped the temps on honest 35*. Many folks say the deep pan doesn't do much for cooling, and maybe not, but I did notice that with only the deep pan the temps would drop quicker than with the stock pan. I pull a 14K # 5th wheel so before the mods the temps would run about 195-200 on a hard climb. It's an easy job changing the cooler.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
mightyvh
Diesel Technician

The nice part about Mike's cooler is that it has the exact same fittings as the stock cooler. Changing to his cooler is just unbolting the old and bolting up the new. His cooler comes with a new mounting bracket because of the size difference but uses existing holes. No cutting, no drilling no modifying etc. just a straight swap......and it works too

Mike doesn't have a web site so if you don't have his number, here you go

Inglewood Transmission Service
310 674 4400

For a good time call Eric @.......www.merchant-automotive.com/
Genuine GM parts plus more

Last edited by mightyvh; 05-05-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
duramax1516
Diesel Enthusiast

Just wanted to Say Thanks to everyone for the feedback. Looks like Mike L. will be the place to go for my solution. When fixed I will let you know the results.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
swatkins
Diesel Master

I think Mike L is recommending the new cooler that fit on the 06's now... That entails a change of the transmission cooler lines... Not a big deal but it will add about 60.00 to the cost..

If your going that far it might be a great time to change out the fluid to the synthetic
Drawtite 18K Signature 5th Wheel Hitch.
RDS Eagle Classic 60 gal. auxiliary Diesel tank / tool box.
Velvet Shackels from RickDLance ( His wife thought they were kinky and made him sell them! )
2005 Lakota 29' RKT 13'8" tall CGVW 21,000 lbs
One great wife, Still have the no good cat but I am sad to report the Great Dog just passed on
First Dmax 01 2500HD longbed.. 75000 miles Two sets of injectors
Second Dmax 04 2500HD SB 22000 miles Traded in on Current Dmax....
Member # 141 3500 Dually Club
TIME Magazine Person of the Year, 2006
Old 05-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mike L.
Supporting Vendor

The '06 cooler will not fit '01-'02 and early '03 Duramax. Only the '05s need it because they run hotter.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
reese 3
Diesel Technician

I had the same issues untill I installed the Very big "Mike L" cooler.Also wraping the trans lines with heat tape where they come close to the exhaust down pipe seemed to help also. Dont worry about bugging Mike L. he is a great guy and will give all the time you need to answer any questions.
02 crew cab short bed. MBRP four inch exhaust with Flowmaster muffler, K&N air intake, FASS , BD exhaust manifold, PPE Boost valve, Autometer pyro and boost guages, Mag Hi-tec trans and diff covers, Mike L. Tranz Cooler. Pump Rub fixed. (thanks J.K.) Titan Super Tank. Fuel heater kit on Nicktane remote fuel filter. Full Suncoast trans job, converter and 6 speed conversion by the great guys at Hucksdorf Diesel!
07 LBZ Classic. Compound Turbos, P.P.E. Dual Fueler, 50 over blueprinted injectors, ARP studs, Nitrous by INDUCTION SOLUTIONS, P.P.E. cast exhaust manifolds, Fass 150, AMS bypass kit, Suncoast Allison and converter, Banks intercooler, EFI Live by Nick at Duramax Tuner, Mike L. trans cooler, Pump rub kit, All Cognito front end components.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
denny storm
Diesel Enthusiast

Hey Mike, I have a 2005 Chevy Duramax LLY and I tow a 10000 lb fifth wheel.
I'm looking to protect my Trans and would like info on your coolers.

I noticed the other day while driving (unloaded) up to Big bear in So Cal my trans got up to 200. Is this normal? Also, does a deeper pan with cooling fins help?

thanks
Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
jdugie123
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to jdugie123 Send a message via Yahoo to jdugie123

Lone Star Diesels Member

deeps pans don't really help with cooling they just make it take longer to heat up they are more for the extra fluid that is what i was told

Traded In
: 04.5 D/A MBRP 4" cool duals with muffler delete, volant air intake, EFI Live,raptor 100gph, suncoast level IV, ATS copilot, nicktane fuel filter, 6" RCD, 37" Super Swamper M16s , 4.56 gears, bushwacker cutout fender flares, wet okolie set covers, MTX subs with a sony amp, full replacement front with 9.5K warn winch built in and rear replacement bumpers, B&W turnover ball both gooseneck and bumper hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread