Allison leak behind the NSBU switch??? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (4) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
teamhertz
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Allison leak behind the NSBU switch???

I was messing around with the truck, changing out the rotten rotors, when I noticed a small puddle under the ally. I looked closer and found that the trans is leaking behind the "tan" safety switch. I cleaned the area with some brake cleaner and let it dry. I looked very close, all around the area, overfill vent, etc. I seen a drip forming behind the NSBU switch, directly under the gear selector bolt. It was in between the switch and the trans. This switch was replaced by the dealer about 1 month ago. Is there a new seal that gets replaced? What is leaking there?

Thanks: Steve @ ttspowersystems.com, Eric @ Merchant Auto, Volker @ MDE, Guy @ socaldiesel.com, Kyle @ crankitupdiesel.com, Tony @ Ridgerunner, Jeff Towman
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mike L.
Supporting Vendor

No seal is replaced with a NSBU change. I think you will find that your Ally is probably overfull and they tend to leak down behind the switch.
mike
Old 09-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
teamhertz
Diesel Technician

Thanks for the info Mike. Its funny because I was just asking about my friends trans being overfull. After he told me about his, I checked mine. My trans is within the normal range both cold and hot. I can see the vent on top of the trans, but it is clean down along the side. Maybe I should remove the NSBU to get a look beind. There are only 3 bolts that hold it on plus the 2 plugs? Nothing I need to know before removing it? Just want to make sure where it is coming from.

Thanks: Steve @ ttspowersystems.com, Eric @ Merchant Auto, Volker @ MDE, Guy @ socaldiesel.com, Kyle @ crankitupdiesel.com, Tony @ Ridgerunner, Jeff Towman
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mike L.
Supporting Vendor

Warning!
Adjustment on NSBU switch is critical so don't start moving the center of the switch around. You can call me and I will help you with some pointers if you need.
mike
Old 10-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
jpmako
Diesel Enthusiast

Did anybody figure this out???
Today I was looking at my truck and noticed some oil on the crossmember. To my dismay there was Trans fluid everywhere. I cleaned it up and cannot seem to find the leak yet. It is coming from the side where the NSBU is. I had a plow installed yesterday and had to drive home with it for a hour, but did not notice the trans temp above normal is it possible that it just got a little warmer than usual and started seeping from the vent tube?

One other Q is the new NSBU switch supposed to be black or tan?

Thanks for any input,

Jason
Old 10-27-2005, 09:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
teamhertz
Diesel Technician

I PM'd Mike L. and he stated it was the linkage seal. I brought it back to my trans place and they found that the linkage seal was leaking. Mike L. was dead on...of course! In order to pinpoint the problem, I sprayed down the area with brakleen and wiped down the NSBU switch. In a short period of time, you could see a small drip forming between the NSBU switch and trans. This seal took about 10-15 minutes to replace by the shop. As Mike L. suggested, have someone change it that has the proper removal tool. No more leaks since the replacement.

My replacement NSBU is a tan switch.

Did you check your fluid level? You can see the overflow vent/cap from the driverside and trace it to see if the leak starts from there.

Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2005, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
jpmako
Diesel Enthusiast

Team,

Thanks for the advice.
I am pretty sure that I have the same problem that you did as the fluid is coming from behind the NSBU somewhere.
I am gonna take it to the dealer and have them put in the updated "Tan" switch while it is there.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread