Shift Range Inhibited - Still - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Robbfuzz
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Shift Range Inhibited - Still

Hello folks

I have replaced the ignition switch and the nsbu switch and am still getting "Shift Range Inhibited." It is throwing the following codes
700 pd (whatever that is)

As far as I know, the truck is stock. There is no programmer currently (might have been before I bought it, screw holes in lower dash near plug) and everything under the hood that I can see looks stock.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Tracy

New to me at 118k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
clinebarger
Diesel Head

P0700.
This code indicates that a related transmission code was set in the transmission control module (TCM). The ECM receives the TCM DTC information over the serial data circuit. The ECM turns "on" the MIL.

P0841.
Pressure Control (PC) 'C' shift valve commanded to the "on" (stroked position), and the TCM detected that the pressure switch 'C' status remained "off" for 1-5 seconds (actual time depends on transmission fluid temperature). The pressure switch manifold (PSM) is a multiple-switch assembly with 3 normally open (N.O.), and one normally closed (N.C.) pressure switches. The PSM 'C' pressure switch monitors the position of the PC 'C' shift valve position and relays it to the TCM. When the PSM 'C' pressure switch is in the open state, the C shift valve should be in the un-stroked position.

P0846.
Pressure Control (PC) 'D' shift valve commanded to the "on" (stroked position), and the TCM detected that the pressure switch 'D' status remained "off" for 1-5 seconds (actual time depends on transmission fluid temperature). The pressure switch manifold (PSM) is a multiple-switch assembly with 3 normally open (N.O.), and one normally closed (N.C.) pressure switches. The PSM 'D' pressure switch monitors the position of the PC 'D' shift valve position and relays it to the TCM. When the PSM 'D' pressure switch is in the open state, the solenoid 'D' shift valve should be in the un-stroked position.

P0848.
Shift Solenoid 2 commanded to the "on", stroked position, and the TCM detected, during steady state operation, that the PSM 2 switch status remained "off" for 0.125 seconds (actual time depends on transmission fluid temperature). The pressure switch manifold (PSM) is a multiple-switch assembly made up of 3 normally open (N.O.) pressure switches and 1 normally closed (N.C.) pressure switch. Pressure switch 2 (PS2) monitors shift valve 2 positioning and relays it to the TCM.

Check the transmission fluid FIRST!!!!!!

Sounds like either a wiring/connection problem or the PSM/TFP switch assembly is bad if the fluid level is OK.

The component im talking about can be called 2 things.....
PSM, Pressure Switch Manifold
TFP, Transmission Fluid Pressure switch
Its located in the transmission pan bolted to the valve body.

1985 Chevy C20 Suburban with a 2004 5.3/4L60E
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Robbfuzz
Diesel Enthusiast

Thank you so much clinebarger. I have checked the fluid level, that was one of my first thoughts. I will recheck it again just to be sure and I will check out that switch assembly.

Thanks again
Tracy

New to me at 118k
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
catman3126
Diesel Master

not too long ago there was a guy on here with the same problem and he ended up finding out it was the filter under the pan sucking air because the seal where filter screen connects to the valve body as damaged. did you just buy this rig or did it have a trans service recently?
LBZ mouthpiece and custom intake piping, stage 4 built trans, Air dog 165 on demand. Varible MAF control, Danville 2.6 66MM, STG II Billet turbo. Pro Fab manifolds and Up pipes, 3"bridge and intercooler pipes.

1984 CJ7 Powered by a 2000' LS1 5.7L

2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. 96CI. Black.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
catman3126
Diesel Master

Ohh i see you did just recently get it. sounds like you have checked pretty much everything.....might be time to drop the pan and check the filter...just a thought.
LBZ mouthpiece and custom intake piping, stage 4 built trans, Air dog 165 on demand. Varible MAF control, Danville 2.6 66MM, STG II Billet turbo. Pro Fab manifolds and Up pipes, 3"bridge and intercooler pipes.

1984 CJ7 Powered by a 2000' LS1 5.7L

2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. 96CI. Black.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
shawjohn2nd
Diesel Enthusiast

Hey my truck was also giving me the shift range inhibited message, and I also replaced the Nsbu switch, I had it back to the dealer again. They called and stated that they found transmission fluid in the wiring harrness inside the tranny, I guess there is a gromet in there that wears out, they changed that harness, and the truck went back to normal. They said they have only seen this in two or three other trucks, lucky for me mine made number four. I hope this helps
Old 03-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Thread moved to Allison forum from engine forum.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
dubbzie
Diesel Technician

HI,
Anyone happen to have the allison part numbers for the pressure switch manifold and the internal wiring harness? 2009 lmm.
Thanks.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ramblinrodney
Diesel Master

Michigan Oil Burners Member

Pressure switch manifold 29542585 and internal wiring harness 29545307 Hope some one else can verify those are the right numbers. This is where I go to look up parts http://parts.nalleygmc.com/
Transgo Jr. PCV Reroute kit, Trans Line Repair Kit By Dirty Hooker Diesel,
Custom Perf/Tow Tune by Kennedy
2005 Sunnybrook 30RKFS 5er 11,300 lbs dry
UAW Local 699 Retired

Last edited by Ramblinrodney; 11-17-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
dubbzie
Diesel Technician

Went to order parts today. I was informed that the pressure switch manifold part number has changed to the newer part number, and is now 29546972. Supposed to be the improved version. And the internal harness number 29545307 is not an allison number.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.