Allison Transmission Operating Temps. - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
 
Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
DaWhee
Diesel Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Visalia, Calif.
Posts: 10
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Allison Transmission Operating Temps.

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
Hi Folks,
Hope you're all doing well. Just a couple questions regarding the Allison 6 Speed Transmission:

1) What will the fluid temperature be when it's in the "Hot" zone of the dipstick?

2) What should the normal around town (stop and go) driving fluid temperature be?

3) What fluid temperature is considered to be the beginning of Red Line?

Thanks in advance of your comments. I appreciate 'em. Have a great weekend, if you can get away with it.
- Dave
__________________
Dave
Offline  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
limpthis
Diesel Technician
 
limpthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ky
Posts: 292
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

160 degrees to 200 is the opperating temp on these trannys. It depends on how accurate the factory gauge is(mines off 10 degrees to my old bully dog gauges I had and my new isspro gauge) If you get up to 160 or 170 on a 70 degree day, your right about normal temp. Thats when you wanna check the fluid on it. In stop and go traffic, on a 95 degree day I hit 200 once, but climbed no higher. 170 is probobally the highest your new trans will ever get in stop and go.
__________________
2004 LLY reg cab 4x4
blocked egr
pvc rerout
4inturbo back
afe turbo mp
chopped intake k&n filter
305 tires
stock limped alli
efi live
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
limpthis
Diesel Technician
 
limpthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ky
Posts: 292
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

260 is the beginning of being way to hot, it will ding a few times, then you need to pull over put it in park and idle it to let the torque converter flow the fluid through the lines to cool. You basicallly never want your trans to be hotter than your engine coolent temp
__________________
2004 LLY reg cab 4x4
blocked egr
pvc rerout
4inturbo back
afe turbo mp
chopped intake k&n filter
305 tires
stock limped alli
efi live
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
moss6
Diesel Specialist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 507
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Good luck on even getting it hot enough to even be able to get a hot read on the stick. The 2011 runs extrodinarily cool. I'm looking forward to our first camping trip pulling 15k hoping it will get hot enough for a hot read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhee View Post
Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverad
3500HD
Hi Folks,
Hope you're all doing well. Just a couple questions regarding the Allison 6 Speed Transmission:

1) What will the fluid temperature be when it's in the "Hot" zone of the dipstick?

2) What should the normal around town (stop and go) driving fluid temperature be?

3) What fluid temperature is considered to be the beginning of Red Line?

Thanks in advance of your comments. I appreciate 'em. Have a great weekend, if you can get away with it.
- Dave
__________________
2011 Chevy 2500HD LML
Red W/Dark Light Cashmire
Superglide
Pace Edwards Full Metal Jacket
Bed Rug
4 1/4" Oval SS Westin Step Bars
AirLift 5000 bags with Viair onboard air
08' Nuwa Hitchiker 32.5 FKSBG

NOW LIVING IN WISCONSON THE
2006 Silverado Crew Short LBZ
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
hogracer3d
Diesel Technician
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 402
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss6 View Post
Good luck on even getting it hot enough to even be able to get a hot read on the stick. The 2011 runs extrodinarily cool. I'm looking forward to our first camping trip pulling 15k hoping it will get hot enough for a hot read.
X2, mine usually runs in the 120* area, unloaded, 150-175 loaded, don't think I've ever seen 200, even in 118* Death Valley heat
__________________
2015 LTZ CC LWB DRW LML Texas Edition
08 EXC LWB DRW LMM, MBRP DPF back
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
limpthis
Diesel Technician
 
limpthis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ky
Posts: 292
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Them new LML's run crazy cool. Its unfair, I hit 170 almost every day its warm out. Wander if the LML's have the trans lines running through the radiator to pre heat the fluid then pass through the trans cooler like mine does...
__________________
2004 LLY reg cab 4x4
blocked egr
pvc rerout
4inturbo back
afe turbo mp
chopped intake k&n filter
305 tires
stock limped alli
efi live
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master
 
Dmax 5th Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Down By The River
Posts: 1,599
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogracer3d View Post
X2, mine usually runs in the 120* area, unloaded, 150-175 loaded, don't think I've ever seen 200, even in 118* Death Valley heat
WOW LML run cool, cool.
My LMM from Laughlin NV to Gallup NM pulling 8,000 lbs. temp outside was 102 degrees, trans temp was 204-209 degrees. Pulling up Laughlin hill I poped the hood & fan came on engine temp started to move I let up on the pedal. I made it up though. It just walked up that hill. Once I got out of that & outside temp droped it was running 190-204 degrees.
__________________
2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Resonator delete plug, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)

Last edited by Dmax 5th Wheel; 03-18-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict
 
PrivatePilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Near The Coffee Maker
Posts: 15,195
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Moved to Allison OEM forum.
__________________


Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
enahs
Diesel Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,348
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Perhaps Crafty will lend his expertise here. But from my understanding, be sure that your fluid is set correctly, for too much fluid can increase the heat by getting kicked up into the moving parts. Set the fluid so that it is half way up the lower hash marks in the hot zone at 175 (if your truck has a transmission temperature gauge). It will be around 200 or so at the top of the hot hash marks. But you can run at 220 and more without an issue (depending on how long and how high) — especially if you are running one of Allison's TES-295 fluids (Transynd or Mobil Delvac ATF), which handle the heat and cold much better than the OEM DEX VI fluid. Around town, in heavy traffic, the converter does not lock up and you can actually see higher temperatures than out on the road — ambient air temperature makes a difference, too. Read your manual — IIRC, red line is about 265. In a hard, slow pull in hot weather, you may well go over 200 — though the 2011 trucks have larger coolers and internal provisions in the Allison to allow them to run cooler than earlier models. With that new truck, however, I seriously doubt that you will ever have to worry about transmission temperatures, regardless of what you are doing, no matter the weather or what you are towing. In general, the Allison is not prone to overheating issues if you are not running a tune. DMax5thWheel — your temperature was normal (be sure you are using T/H to prevent the busy shifting). But if you slow to below 25-30 on a steep pull in hot weather, you will push the transmission heat up — since the converter is not locked. Better to get your speed up a bit if you can. BTW, that's not a heavy load and your truck should handle it easily.
__________________
D/A '07 Classic Big Dooley, CC, LT3, 4X4, Mike L transmission cooler, deep pan, Mobil Delvac ATF (TES 295)
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dmax 5th Wheel
Diesel Master
 
Dmax 5th Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Down By The River
Posts: 1,599
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by enahs View Post
Perhaps Crafty will lend his expertise here. But from my understanding, be sure that your fluid is set correctly, for too much fluid can increase the heat by getting kicked up into the moving parts. Set the fluid so that it is half way up the lower hash marks in the hot zone at 175 (if your truck has a transmission temperature gauge). It will be around 200 or so at the top of the hot hash marks. But you can run at 220 and more without an issue (depending on how long and how high) — especially if you are running one of Allison's TES-295 fluids (Transynd or Mobil Delvac ATF), which handle the heat and cold much better than the OEM DEX VI fluid. Around town, in heavy traffic, the converter does not lock up and you can actually see higher temperatures than out on the road — ambient air temperature makes a difference, too. Read your manual — IIRC, red line is about 265. In a hard, slow pull in hot weather, you may well go over 200 — though the 2011 trucks have larger coolers and internal provisions in the Allison to allow them to run cooler than earlier models. With that new truck, however, I seriously doubt that you will ever have to worry about transmission temperatures, regardless of what you are doing, no matter the weather or what you are towing. In general, the Allison is not prone to overheating issues if you are not running a tune. DMax5thWheel — your temperature was normal (be sure you are using T/H to prevent the busy shifting). But if you slow to below 25-30 on a steep pull in hot weather, you will push the transmission heat up — since the converter is not locked. Better to get your speed up a bit if you can. BTW, that's not a heavy load and your truck should handle it easily.
Never said that load was heavy, + it did handle it. Just had bad fuel. After getting better fuel from Gallup NM to Alamosa CO with all the diff grades I went on, it did its job no problem. @ times I forgot I had a trailer.
__________________
2009 GMC 2500HD SLE CC/SB 4x4 LMM
EFI Live, Edge Insight CTS, Resonator delete plug, EGR disabled, Flo~Pro 4" DP back exhaust w/muffler & stock trumpet tip, Pacer LED NBS cab lights, GM under tailgate dually light bar, Footwell lights, Cobra 29 WXNWST CB radio, Kenwood speakers, Tinted windows, GM chrome oval running boards, Alum. bleeder screw, WIF sensor delete plug, Fumoto oil drain valve, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Michelin M/S2, PY0 wheels, Rubber mud flaps, Curt class IV hitch, Wilson 2000 CB antenna

2000 Silverado 1500 LS RC/LB 4x2 4.8L (Whoopty/Work Truck)
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Operating temps, getting really hot!! cad4881 Allison OEM 12 02-25-2009 05:22 PM
Operating Temps cusipata 6.2L Diesel Engine 6 09-03-2008 03:02 AM
Normal Operating temps Z71 Grizzly Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) 5 04-01-2008 03:34 PM
Operating Temps BLUEHERON Duramax Fourth Generation: 2007.5-2010 (LMM) 2 08-27-2007 11:22 PM
Safe operating temps. avis Allison OEM 17 07-11-2007 09:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
© AutoGuide

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0