hard shift/ cold weather - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (4) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
liftedduramax02
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Montana DP Member Club Member

hard shift/ cold weather

ok when its cold out and my allison isnt warmed up it shifts super hard , up or down shift, it is expesically when it downshifting 2-1 while slowing down it will actually kick in the abs for a second , but if i put it in tow/hual is seem to not downshift as hard, and when speeding up 1-2 it will shift hard or sometimes shift good even warm or cold what could be the problem? and the atf smells burnt to me is that normal? or are my bands burnt up?
2002 duramax 2500 HD, 16 inch lift, Fox Shocks 40*15.50 tires , 20 inch rims , custom front bumper with winch , Ghost flames. Ram Air hood and intake, pyro and boost gauges, Hypertech Stage 3, Boost increase Valve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
wreedLBZ
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Lone Star Diesels Member

if ATF smells burnts you probably have a problem.

2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 2WD LBZ, Banks Six-Gun w/PDA, Magnaflow 4", TB PCV re-route & Trans lines, Weathertechs, AVH-P3100DVD, Focal Access 165s, Bushwackers, Caterpillar batteries PN#127-0826, Energy Suspension Body Mounts
S O L D
Cognito 4-6 NTBD, Cognito UCAs, Cognito HD Tie Rods, Bilstein shocks, 3.5" rear block === Riding on Toyo M/T 33x12.5R18 on KMC XD Diesels.
Rotella, Transynd, and AMSOIL fluids

2007 Ford F-150 5.4L 4x4 King Ranch, N-Fab LB 4x PIAA 520s, 2" Lift 285/55R20s, Bilstein 5100s, Weathertechs
2007 Honda CR-V EL-X 4WD
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Bratman
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

SoCal Diesel Trucks Member

what if I have that problem and it's not burnt? Also I just changed my Edge Evo from 4 down to 3. Is the tranny re-learning?
4" CST Spindles, 3" Superlift blocks, Bilstein 5100's
Edge Juice w/Attitude set on 4 most times.
Trans Go Jr, Deep Pan, Transynd fluid
Stage 2 K&N Intake System
4" DP,to 5" MBRP exhaust
Pioneer Nav/dvd/cd/Ipod system
4.56 American Gears, Deep Cover
33x12x17 AT Extreme ProComps on Weld rims.
Jesus Christ, Savior
Old 10-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Tech
Diesel Master

I would make sure and change the fluid and filter if it smells burned first. The Allison are knowen for shifting firm with cold fluid temperatures. Transynd fluid seems to help the issue in cold climates and is good in warm as well.

Last edited by Diesel Tech; 10-21-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

I would also recommend changing out your fluid and filter and keep your foot out of it for a while (I personally would do the "hoot" method to make sure to get most of the old stuff out)- Have you ever changed it before, or will this be a first? Also, how many miles are on the truck? If it hasn't been changed before (or for a long time), it may just be WAY overdue. Also, if you switch to a synthetic transmission fluid your shifts will smooth out a little bit in the cold, as well as over all. I would recommend going with Torque Drive from Amsoil. If I can help you out with that, PM me and I would be more than happy to help you out and get you a quote!!!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
TexasZX225
Diesel Technician

I have 55K on my truck and it does the same thing. It is pretty random when it does it and it seems to only do it when the tranny is still cool.

It is a pretty hard shift and sounds bad too.
N-Fab 6 Step, Spray-in Bed liner, Escalade Door Handles,
Chrome Mirror Covers, Hypertech PPIII, Escalade NAV, 4" MBRP Downpipe back Exaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.