P0700 and P0708 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > Allison OEM
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel4Dummies
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

P0700 and P0708

Getting these codes on the SES now, brief rundown of the symptoms:

PRND321 is still there although it doesn't register all the time if you are in N, D, or 2

When I put it in 3 it doesn't want to shift out when I move it to what would be D

When the selection is working it seems like I'm stuck starting off in 2nd and not being able to shift out

When the selection is working and it is shifting fine the SES is on

Was stuck in a ditch and was pulled out, not sure if I did anything to the tranny trying to help get myself out of the ditch but the the issues seem to start when I put it into R.

I've looked underneath incase there might be something loose but not seeing anything.

Was wondering if there could be anything else to troubleshoot before I give it up and take it to a shop.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

Search "NSBU" (Neutral Start Back Up switch) and, it is an emissions warranty part (5yr/100k mile). Read the sticky at the top of the ALLISON OEM section. It's a common failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association

Last edited by heymccall; 02-13-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
acm5051
Diesel Head

Send a message via AIM to acm5051

I've experienced basically the same problems. I was backing up one day, stopped and put it in drive and it didn't highlight "D", and acted like it was in neutral. Put it in 3rd and drove away fine, finally got it to go in drive however it still wasn't selected. Drove fine for a couple of days then the SES light came on. The truck stopped shifting and started going into drive really hard. At this time none of the cluster options would highlight. I got the truck scanned, it was the transmission range sensor. This sensor is 211 bucks at GM and is mounted on the driver's side of the transmission. It was a pretty quick and easy fix but you have to have a scan tool to reset the computer or it will not do anything. After I reset the computer the truck was back to running perfect, no problems to this day.

4 inch Magnaflow Turbo Back Exhaust.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel4Dummies
Diesel Enthusiast

OK I went and got the NSBU at Advance for $40, the old one was a real bugger getting the harness unplugged but finally got it off, put the new one on and after everything came back on (the selection was working again) damn thing wouldn't start, took it back to advance, can't seem to find another in town, seems like Autozone would be happy to order me one for $176. Whats the chances the new NSBU was bad and caused this or maybe I boogered up one of the connections and its causing it not to start now????
Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

The NSBU replacement may require resetting of the ECM. Try disconnecting both batteries (tell me it's an Allison), and, with btoh dsiconnected, touch one positive cable to it's matching negative cable and then reconnect everything. If that's not it, you did set the switch correctly?
Quote:
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel4Dummies
Diesel Enthusiast

Pretty sure its an Allison, did the diesels come with anything else? I took the negative off each battery before I started, so now I need to take the positive off as well on each and then touch the respective two ends together?
I went to get another and saw one that had a vacuum line on it, mine didn't have it and the original paper work says Allison 5 speed automatic....
Took an acutron and reset the original P0700 and 708 codes as well, will try the new one and see what happens
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel4Dummies
Diesel Enthusiast

ok went and got the correct part from Allison and still having the same no start issues, anyhelp would be appreciated !!!!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

Is park, park? Does it turn over? Will it start in neutral? Does the indicator follow the gear selector?
Quote:
Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel4Dummies
Diesel Enthusiast

so how do you go about setting the switch? there was nothing in the instructions .........
Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel4Dummies
Diesel Enthusiast

indicator follows the gears, doors unlock, just a dead key, won't turn over in any gear....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread