Diesel Place banner

Safe operating temps.

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  GMCNE1 
#1 ·
What is the safe range of operating tempatures for the 6 speed Allison. Now that we are in the heat of the summer mine have gone up. For long periods of time what is considered too high? Of course I'm looking for long service life and need to know if I need to get a cooler. Mine seems to run at the 200 degree mark with a empty truck all the time now.

#7 ·
Mike-I broke out the calculator and did some figures. I broke the small dashes down to 12.5 degrees each. Does that sound correct? If so it's running in the 185 range. Am I ok there or do I need the cooler? It was 96 degrees outside when I checked it. Thanks for any help!

#8 ·
Mine used to run just off 100 deg for the first 500 miles Now with 5500 on it it will run just unter 200 deg... I assume this is normal for these trannies... I felt better at 100+...

#10 ·
I agree weather has alot to do with it... when I first picked up my truck it was freakin cold.... but Evn as I drove and the temps go into the 60's it wouldn't move off 100+...

I noticed it coming back from out East running hotter and staying around the 190 mark!

#11 ·
200 To Hot

I live in AZ and my LB7 has run just short of 200 since I got it new. Dealer says its normal dont worry. I think I would like to see temp around 180. Soon as I get some cash together I will definately be investing in a cooler from Mike L. I just switched over to Transynd and it is a steady 200 plus, but its been 115+ outside. I still say its to hot at 200. Good luck.

#12 ·
Mine also has been running hotter 180- 200 I ran at 100-150 when it was new. IT is also 90 out today. It still runs fine.

#15 ·
Whats the best Tranny fluid to flush in it. About time I change mine this week.

#17 ·
Cloughm;1870049; said:
Whats the best Tranny fluid to flush in it. About time I change mine this week.
Most here agree that Transynd or Amsoil's TorqueDrive are the best fluids to use in the Ally, but there are other fluids that are Allison rated that should work as well if you can find them. (Note : the TD does not have an Allison TE-295 rating but is claimed to be as good.)

DEWFPO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.