Diesel Place banner

Reverse gone? Wtf!!

885 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ryno 
#1 ·
Did my nbsu last year. Now I have a ses light, and no reverse. Gear selector will light up "R", and it flashes, but no reverse, it will rev. All 5 fwd gears are fine, and neutral and park. Filter and fluid just changed 5k back. Truck is 02 8.1, Ally 4x4 73k miles. I religiously change the fuild every 20k, the filter every 5k. Any ideas? Thanks!

Ryan

#3 ·
Mee Too. Just started with only 1000 miles in the clock. It's been cold as heck here. I wondered if that's part of it.

#6 ·
It fairly labor intensive. The pan will have to be dropped along with the valvebody. Changing the solenoid is the easy part.

If you're out of warranty I'd check and see if there's a Allison distributor in the area. They would likely be more knowledgable and cheaper than having your dealership do the repairs. The Allison website will have the locations.

#7 ·
I'm getting the codes tomorrow. There is an Allison dealer close to me, and I'll be taking it to them for the service, if it is required. I did notice today that on the way home (fwy @ 80mph), the tranny ran warmer than normal. About 2 ticks under 200. Most of the time it runs 4 ticks under 200, even when it's 100+ in Southern California. I'll post code results when I get home from work tomorrow. thanks guys!

#8 ·
Update to above condition. It was a switch, not a solenoid. I got a flush, w/ transynd, cleaned the valvebody, internal and external filters, All for $350. This was at an Allison dealer, not at chevy. Truck looked funny parked next to a fire engine.

I will always take the truck to an Allison dealer from now on. Professional service, and they are honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.