Diesel Place banner

Best Place for Temp Sensor

8K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  dhjunkie 
#1 ·
Where would the best place to put a trans. temperature sensor be; pan or in a diagnostic receptical?

#6 ·
Mike, where does GM have the sensor for 4L80E trucks with transmission temperature guages?

#10 ·
Thanks for the information, Mike. One more question, where is the sensor for the temperature on a scanner? I would assume the same place, but like to hear it from an expert.

My scanner reading is almost always lower then my gage reading (which is on the hot line to the cooler), especially under load.

#8 ·
I put mine in the output line going to the cooler. I see the maximum temps that the oil is experiencing. That's what I really need to know, how hot the oil getting.

Jake

#11 ·
I put mine in the output line going to the cooler. I see the maximum temps that the oil is experiencing. That's what I really need to know, how hot the oil getting.

Jake
Jake
That reading tells you nothing. Fluid coming out of the converter is going to be red hot because of slippage. That is why it goes to the cooler first then gets sprayed as lube for the geartrain. With your sensor location, how do you know what temp fluid was sprayed? I know that the converter outlet fluid will be hot; but I need to know how my cooling system protected my trans innards. That is what is important. Anything else is blowing smoke up a skirt.

Scanners read temps from the computer signal. Wherever the computer sensor is that is what the scanner reads. No manufacturer reads remps from the converter outlet.

#9 ·
Yup, me too. Seems to be a minority opinion. Must be a VA thing.

#14 ·
Thanks Mike.:ro)

#15 ·
Seems to me the point of entry into the tranny for the fluid is where you would want the temp sensor. The fluid being sucked up into the filter/screen is the entrance so knowing what temp the fluid is in the pan tells what your trans is experiencing....fluid-wise. We already know that the fluid is hot once it goes through the tranny & converter, so to keep tabs on temp I would want to know how hot it is once it gets back to the pan. So I vote for the sensor in the pan....:D
JP

#19 ·
Hi , dont forget to mention NOT all the oil go out thrue the cooler .Most of it return into the pan.;)
All the fluid in the converter will go through the cooler as this is critical to fluid temps. Then it is returned back into the system as lube, then drops to the sump where it is picked up by the pump through the sump filter and the process starts all over again.

#21 ·
I spoke to guy in Arizona at TeamRamco regarding this very issue. They build and rebuild racing, RV and heavy-duty tow transmissions. All they do is transmissions. I was told the oil line coming out of the trans to the cooler is the place to put the sensor. You want to know what temps coming out of the transmission are.

Would you use burned cooking oil to cook with after it has been cooled? -:t Why would you want to run burned oil through your transmission after it has been cooled? :rolleyes:

I put my sensor in the line exiting the transmission to the cooler..

#22 ·
I spoke to guy in Arizona at TeamRamco regarding this very issue. They build and rebuild racing, RV and heavy-duty tow transmissions. All they do is transmissions. I was told the oil line coming out of the trans to the cooler is the place to put the sensor. You want to know what temps coming out of the transmission are.

Would you use burned cooking oil to cook with after it has been cooled? -:t Why would you want to run burned oil through your transmission after it has been cooled? :rolleyes:

I put my sensor in the line exiting the transmission to the cooler..
You and your TeamRamco are wet behind the ears. ):h You will have " burned cooking oil " if you don't know what the cooler fluid exit temps are.

#23 ·
so where is the diag port in the 4L80-E?

I figure once you get a good baseline reading in one spot, you can judge an overheat condition from that.

#25 ·
I've seen what the results of the temp sender in the hot line will read. No matter what you do in an unlocked convertor situation things will rise fast. From what I understand about the properties of ATF it can take heat for short peroids, but will break down under prolonged exposure. With that said I'd say that anyone with an ounce of real world experience w/the 4L80E will tell you read it in the pan, add a good cooler, and a convertor locking device if you want things to last. It seems that there are alot of transmission experts popping up on Ebay and online in general, but I don't think many of them have the experience they boast. They usually use catchy words like RV, towing, ect, and will talk the talk up to the point your unit fails and they have to back it up. Once again, listen to MikeL. Just my .02...

#26 ·
Long time no talk to guys......
I've got my temp guage sensor in the pressure port right now until my next fluid change/or flexplate/convertor change and was wondering what temps I should be seeing.
Sheep-Master):h (Mike L.) I never heard back from you and things have been busy here with my little girl in the hospital and have not had a chance to call you, please chime in or shoot me a PM with the specs I should be seeing with the sender in that port.I know you don't recommend it there but like I said, I had just changed my fluid and filter and did not want to waste the fresh stuff.

Thanks,
Mark

#28 ·
sender in the pan, period. it is sustained temps that break down all aspects of any automatic transmission. putting a temp sender in the output line ( pre cooler) just reads a high to a really high temp reading showing that your TC is working hard to shear that fluid. it is tha pan temp like most have stated that tells what the transmission is really running at. one thing that is overlooked is that the trans itself is a huge heat sink and will heat as well as cool the fluid.

#29 ·
tans cooler pan sender pics

here is the pan I installed with the sender attached to the pan. The pan is the Derale unit with the B&M weld on sender bung. My stock temps ran around 175*-180* at 70mph on highway driving in 90* weather. I havent had a chance to do a post pan install temp reading ( truck isn't my commuter car) but I will post when I get a chance.

Attachments

#31 ·
pre and post pan install tempurature readings

Here are the pre and post pictures of the pan temperature readings, I'll swear by the derale tube cooler pan.
pre-pan insall tempurature 175* semi level freeway running at 70 mph @85* 60% humidity

Post-pan install temputaure 130-140* same stretch of freeway at same relitive air tempurature an humidity.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.