1995 Chevy K2500 not shifting out of 1st - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > 4L80/85E Transmissions. 6L90 Transmission
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

4L80/85E Transmissions. 6L90 Transmission Discuss the 4L80/85E transmissions found in the 6.2/6.5L equipped vehicles and Duramax equipped vans. 6L90 discussion.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
bonyboy
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

1995 Chevy K2500 not shifting out of 1st

Regardless if someone here helps me or not, thank you to all who take the time to help others on this forum. I've been a long-time lurker and hope someone can help me diagnose this issue.

1. State model, year of vehicle and mileage: K2500, 1995, 206k

2. How long did you own the truck? Recent purchase? 1+ years

3. Any service engine light: yes/no. Intermittant check engine light? No

4. Fluid level okay with the engine and transmission warm? Check on
a level surface? Yes

5. Have you retrieved Codes? AKA DTCs Diagnostic Trouble codes. No

6. Fluid color and smell? Red or Brown does the fluid smell burnt? Red, No

7. Speedometer reading correctly at the appropriate speed? Are the tires the within OEM specifications and size? Use your GPS and verify speed. electronic transmissions remember? Speedo reads fine, tire are in very good condition.

8. Is the transmission shifting normal? Is it shifting hard? Do recall the shifting symptoms or any shifting changes before or after the check engine light or after you retrieved codes. Transmission doesn't shift out of 1st or maybe it is 2nd. I can get to 30mph at about 2500rpm so I am assuming it is 2nd, but I don't feel any shifting at all. No shifting problems prior to issue. Just woke up Friday and drove to work. Didn't realize I wasn't shifting until half way to work. No CEL before of after.

9. Did you or anyone else conduct any kind of maintenance to the vehicle recently? Had PMD replaced. Technicion did some repair work with the fuse box under the hood as well. This has been about 1-2 months ago.

10. Can you explain the type of driving? City driving.

11. Typical weather. Arizona hot mild winters? Minnessota cold. Please explain. Oregon mild summer.

10. Any problems with driver commanded/selected shifting into any gear?
ie.. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Rev? Manual shifting down into L2-L1 makes no difference, same issue. Rev works with no problem.

8. Describe symptoms: Transmission (automatic) goes into forward gear with no problem, just won't shift at all. I top out ~30mph and assume that I'm actually in 2nd gear due to speed and rpm. Stopped by Napa store and technician told me I was probably in 2nd and in "limp mode". Reverse works fine. No CEL, no lights on dash period out of the norm. All gauges seem to work like they always have.

8a. TCC Locking? No

8b. Is the transmission shifting into all FWD gears? No

Can your vehicle shift into all gears? No
If you have a tachometer can you "notice" all forward gears shifting if you are not sure if the transmission is shifting? Don't have a tach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
jmlingley
Diesel Enthusiast

same

Same problem i'm having everything else works fine except mine is a gmc
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
dth0mas
Diesel Head

Bump for the sake of this just happend to my 95 c2500
Old 03-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
moosehunt
Diesel Enthusiast

I just posted an Identical post myself. Hope we get some answers to some questions. I did replace the 2-3 shift selonoid on mine but it did not fix anything.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.