Diesel Place banner

1995 Chevy K2500 not shifting out of 1st

18K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  GenBiltstein 
#1 ·
Regardless if someone here helps me or not, thank you to all who take the time to help others on this forum. I've been a long-time lurker and hope someone can help me diagnose this issue.

1. State model, year of vehicle and mileage: K2500, 1995, 206k

2. How long did you own the truck? Recent purchase? 1+ years

3. Any service engine light: yes/no. Intermittant check engine light? No

4. Fluid level okay with the engine and transmission warm? Check on
a level surface? Yes

5. Have you retrieved Codes? AKA DTCs Diagnostic Trouble codes. No

6. Fluid color and smell? Red or Brown does the fluid smell burnt? Red, No

7. Speedometer reading correctly at the appropriate speed? Are the tires the within OEM specifications and size? Use your GPS and verify speed. electronic transmissions remember? Speedo reads fine, tire are in very good condition.

8. Is the transmission shifting normal? Is it shifting hard? Do recall the shifting symptoms or any shifting changes before or after the check engine light or after you retrieved codes. Transmission doesn't shift out of 1st or maybe it is 2nd. I can get to 30mph at about 2500rpm so I am assuming it is 2nd, but I don't feel any shifting at all. No shifting problems prior to issue. Just woke up Friday and drove to work. Didn't realize I wasn't shifting until half way to work. No CEL before of after.

9. Did you or anyone else conduct any kind of maintenance to the vehicle recently? Had PMD replaced. Technicion did some repair work with the fuse box under the hood as well. This has been about 1-2 months ago.

10. Can you explain the type of driving? City driving.

11. Typical weather. Arizona hot mild winters? Minnessota cold. Please explain. Oregon mild summer.

10. Any problems with driver commanded/selected shifting into any gear?
ie.. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Rev? Manual shifting down into L2-L1 makes no difference, same issue. Rev works with no problem.

8. Describe symptoms: Transmission (automatic) goes into forward gear with no problem, just won't shift at all. I top out ~30mph and assume that I'm actually in 2nd gear due to speed and rpm. Stopped by Napa store and technician told me I was probably in 2nd and in "limp mode". Reverse works fine. No CEL, no lights on dash period out of the norm. All gauges seem to work like they always have.

8a. TCC Locking? No

8b. Is the transmission shifting into all FWD gears? No

Can your vehicle shift into all gears? No
If you have a tachometer can you "notice" all forward gears shifting if you are not sure if the transmission is shifting? Don't have a tach.

See less See more
#5 ·
This forum hasn't had activity in a while but I am having a similar issue with my 1995 K2500 4x4 Chevrolet Truck and am searching for a solution. I purchased this truck at 140K miles. I drove it once a week for a year, current mileage 144K, and transmission started hard shifting on occasion. Not long after, it would not come out of 1st. Took to transmission shop and had shift solenoids replaced. Worked for a few days and stuck in first again. Took it back to transmission shop and they replaced shift solenoids again but stated something electric upstream seems to be shorting out the shift solenoids and they can't pinpoint what it is. They stated that mechanically the transmission looks great. After talking with a different mechanic who had similar issue, I decided to replace the truck's PCM (Power Control Module) behind the glove box. Truck started shifting again temporarily, now stuck in first again. This is a great truck and I really want to get this figured out. Has anyone found a solution to what sounds like a common issue? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

#6 ·
Pull codes on your OBD 1 and find out if any pertain to the transmission and engine.

Things to verify.
1. 12 vdc at pin E
2. All Grounding everywhere. There are multiple articles within the 4L80-E forum concerning grounding. Search them.
3. TPS sensor if your truck has it.
4. Temperature sensor at the transmission and at the water crossover located on the engine.
5. Transmission input speed sensor.

Troubleshooting is a systematic process.

#8 ·
We are having the same problem. Its intermittent. One day it will work just fine. Next day it wont. The one difference, it acts up more when it is very cold outside. We keep the truck in a heated shop. (using the term loosely, I keep the shop at 40 degrees) Today the outside temperature is 12, and the last time it acted up the outside air temperature was in the single digits. My sons truck is a 1995. 3500 4x4. Fluid is red. Fuse is good. Shifts normally one day, and then doesnt shift at all the next day.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.