4L80E No overdrive-help please - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Transmissions > 4L80/85E Transmissions. 6L90 Transmission
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Notyepcars
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

4L80E No overdrive-help please

1. Fluid level okay while running, warm, level surface. Yes
1a. Fluid color and smell---New Fluid
2. Speedometer reading correctly---Yes
3. Shifting normal/hard--Reverse, 123 OK
4. Shifting into OD okay? No Nothing
5. Any service engine light: yes
6. If SES light on, what codes do you have? Code 83 Torque converter
Quad Driver Module
7. Model year:1994 with 6.5 Diesel
8. Describe symptoms:Shift awesome, except no overdrive
9. Does the engine come up to full temperature?Yes
10. Any service work recently done that may contribute to your issues.
Fresh rebuild, from GM local mechanic, did not shift into Od before rebuild also.

11. Does the TCC lock up (or how many "shifts" do you hear?)stays in 3rd
12. Are you experiencing any kind of slipping?NO
13. What type of rear do you have? (Check RPO codes) 4.10/ 3.73/ 3.42 or 3.08 ---4.10 rear end
14. If you have an accurate tachometer, what is the RPM at 55 or 65
2350 rpm at 50 mph, Tcc slip rpm 68 rpm

Here's the scoop, owned this trcuk for 12 years, 305,000 on original 4l80E transmission. Got stuck, rocked truck to get out, pulled out on the highway and it would not shift into OD. Change fluid and filter, no change, had GM tranny mechanic change some shift soleniods by dropping pan, no change. Pulled tranny, had rebuilt with new Torque converter. Installed tranny, absolutley no change, shift exactly like it did before the rebuild. I have a Snap on digital scanner hooked up to it now, I can read alot of stuff not posted, however it looks normal. If I clear codes, I wil instantly get a code 83, SES light come on but goes off right away, and stays off. My brother has identical truck, have it parked right next to mine. I can swap ECM or anything external on either truck. Shifts great except overdrive. Any ideas? I have access to the spare truck and scanner for the weekend, hoping to get her up and shifting again. Thanks Alot.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
GenBiltstein
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

Take off the pass through connector anc clean it.
Inspect all conections and clean them. Check all grounds.
Right after getting stuck you notices this.

DTC 83: TCM command:
Solenoid ON and voltage stays HIGH
TCM command:
Solenoid OFF and voltage stays LOW

Read the stickies provided Look for the pass through connector. Clean and check the pass through connector.
TCC solenoid might have went out on you. Could be time for a new one. Easy to replace.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Notyepcars
Diesel Head

I will clean the all connectors to the transmission as well as all the main grounds. What does the TCC stand for, and can it be replaced without removing the pan? Is there a way to check the TCC with ohmeter or volmeter? Is it worh swapping the ECM, or shouldn't I mess with that. Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
GenBiltstein
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

The TCC Stands for Torque Converter Clutch. It is a flat disk with abrasive material.

Methinks you might be talking about the TCC solenoid. Pictured below is the TCC solenoid. You will see three bolts. Between the second and the third bolt and down to the edge of the valve body is is the TCC solenoid.

You can check it by using a multimeter when you disconnect the passthrough connector. Check Pins E and S. The resistance is 8 to 12 Ohms. Buy two male and female test leads and keep them. Use the female leads to test the pins going into the transmisison.

Do understand this check is good for DTC 83. TCC solenoid circuit fault.
It has nothing to do with the TCC solenoid's valve and bore leaking.

There is another check you can do if you are not going into overdrive. It is the Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor.

DTC 79 is transmission fluid Overtemp. A defective temp sensor will prevent overdrive.
Use a multimeter between pins L and M to check for resistance. The temperature is related to resistance. If found outside the minimum and maximum resistance and NOT in the nominal column then either you have a bad temp sensor or connection in the pan. A skewed sensor is not that uncommon. The computer doesn't know any better but you have to.
You will need an infrared temp gun and a this temperature reference chart. Aim the temp gun at the bottom of the pan while the transmisison is at operating temperature. Compare the ohms with the temperature reference chart.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Notyepcars
Diesel Head

I checked all grounds and cleaned connections at the pass through connector. It now will shift into overdrive but very late, about at 65 mph, which with 4.11 gears is over red lining the tach. The digital computer tool I have is showing transmission temp at 140 degrees. I have a couple of stupid questions. 1. Am I supposed to unplug this pass thru conector and try and read resistence on the plug? How do you get internal transmission readings without it plugged in? Am I supposed to plug it into the transmission and then poke into the wires while it is plugged in? the transmission side looks like it only has two male spades, so the picture above I am assuming is of the wired plug when you unhook it. 2. I drained the transfer case while it was mounted on transmission, I went to fill it and found there was a quart of transmission fluid in the transfer case without me filling it. There is a gasket between the tranny and the tran case, so fluid must go between them right? Lastly the code 83 went away, but about every other time I clear the codes, I am getting a code 63, which says transmission componemt slipping. It kinda tries to shift about 45 mph, but shifts hard into overdrive about 65mph. Any ideas would be great. Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
GenBiltstein
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

In your transfer you have a transfer cooler. They either develop a crack at the 90 degree on either side where they bolt to pull to the case or develop a pin hole. Sometimes The transfer cooler mounting bolts either do not get mounted fully ie.. tightened all the way in and the chain can contact the cooler. either case when they leak your transfer will swim in fluid.
I have seen them get so full that the fluid travels up to the speedometer right into the speedodometer gauge.
In your case if the leak is slow just keep a watch and drop the level.
Damn good observation and an oversight on my part. I will post it in the sticky. See further information below the image.

You can also split the transfer case and repair the transfer cooler.

Yes: you have to disconnect the Grey plug to check for resistance.

I don't know what year your truck is and I don't know if you have a drive by wire or mechanical linkage to your Injector pump. If you have a throttle position sensor at the injection pump then adjusting it could solve your shifting woes.
If it is electronic then it is drive by wire. By drive by wire i mean there is a stepper motor on the injection pump. If you look at the pump you will see which one I am referring to.

Last edited by GenBiltstein; 09-01-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Notyepcars
Diesel Head

My truck is a 94, unsure if this is electronic or not but I think it is, is there thread for adjusting the throttle position sender? If I am buying male and female leads to ohm out the plug, are you talking a male lead that will fit inside the tip of the wire, or a female that goes around it. Also is this a complete lead for an ohmeter? or some type if terminal that I would buy to test the plug. I tried last night with a paper clips, buy could not get a reading. Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
GenBiltstein
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
My truck is a 94, unsure if this is electronic or not but I think it is, is there thread for adjusting the throttle position sender?
It is a throttle position sensor.
Look at the injector pump and see if you have a linkage or just wires. Linkage then mechanical IP. Wires then it is electronic.

When you want to test electronic subcomponents inside the transmission you need female test leads.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Notyepcars
Diesel Head

Check resistance across the e and s pins and read only .400 ohms, other ohmeter did not ever register. Definetely do not have 8-12 ohms, but I am guessing I am reading the ECM the solenoids in the tranny. So what does this mean? What else can I check. Thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
GenBiltstein
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

You are one lucky fellow. Replace your TCC solenoid. Easy to do. There is a retaining clip. Just pry it out and pull solenoid and pop one in. Place retainer clip right back in.

Seems to me that the TCC solenoid shorted.

Last edited by GenBiltstein; 09-02-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread