Diesel Place banner

Bat mod best $1.25 I ever spent

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Spollock818 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say thanks I just finished the v1 battery mod and it made a HUGE difference, especially living in the Canadian prairies in the winter. For those in warmer locals the Canadian prairies get a tad cool in the winter. Tomorrow morning is forecast for -33c (-27f) without windchill for my trip to work

Thanks to all those who make this site such a fantastic resource :RockOn: :RockOn: :RockOn: :thankyou2

#3 ·
more details would be good, but I assume you are discussing the high idle mod?

High Idle

#4 ·
I think he used 3/8 bolts and nuts to fasten the battery cables to the battery for a stronger more solid connection. I did the same and have excellent connection to the batteries now.

#5 ·
#6 ·
If you still have that rubber/plastic cover over the metal part of the connector, you may want to cut and peel it also.

After peeling it, clean it with a wire brush.

Now, you will never have problem unless the batteries went out.

#7 ·
I used a dremel cut off wheel and cut the rubber in a few places and then peeled it off. Very easy.
I cleaned off the connections as described however I don't have any conductive grease so I plan to take it apart and smear the inside conections with grease then coat the outside in dielectric, so its not quite done yet I will get grease this week

On a good note, for the first time ever, my battery charger fully charged both batteries.

#8 ·
Gee, I just went with top post batteries to get rid of that problem. Stripped too many threads on side mount to ever want one again

#9 ·
"..3) Remove silly excess rubber hoods over cable ends"

Car quest sells the inserts to fill the other side of the conector, If you don't want to cut if off.

#10 ·
Why is this delivering more juice than just the lead terminals?

#11 ·
it doesn't deliver more juice. It makes the connection better. The stock bolts dont go into the batteries very far. And when torqueing down the bolts the holes will strip or loosen. Causing the terminals to be loose. Replacing with bolt and nut, allows you to snug in the bolt. Then torque the nut without stripping the hole. I have done this mod with almost every GM truck I have owned.

#12 · (Edited)
I typed this while jlounsbery was typing essentially the same thing... read on if you choose!

The issue is that the stock bolts with two good threads and 2 shallow threads don't hold squat on the battery side. Not to mention the rubber covers keep you from seeing that the slightly rounded surface of the bolt flange allows the double stacked positive cable to be angled in stead of flat under the bolt and seem tight, but it will loosen after 5 minutes of driving.

Cut off the rubber shroud around the lug as they said (use a box cutter or whatever), use a real bolt so you can get about 6-8 good threads holding that are not bottomed out in the battery and trying to strip themselves while provided no clamping force, and use a nut to tighten against those good holding threads you have now. End of battery troubles.

#14 ·
I have always used 3/8x1 1/2" bolts and nuts to secure mine, run the nut up the shank of the bolt till the end of the threads and tighten bolt into battery and tighten nut to hold connections and lock them from coming loose. Also makes a great place to hook up cables to boost your buddy's f$&d

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#15 ·
haha funny you sed that i had to jump a f$&d to day haha

#16 ·
Sometimes it's a daily thing, spelled backwards its driver returns on foot,rather push my Chevy then drive that junk

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
Better yet I'd rather push my Chevy than get towed by one

#18 ·
Also works good doing it this way if you have an aftermarket stereo amp, off road lights etc.... Alot easier to hook the power and or ground wire up to the battery.

#19 ·
even if your truck can start cold like that, you shouldnt do that, alot of wear of the engine can occur and be hard on the engine in general... so if you can plug the truck in DO IT, but for those days or times when you cant.... you want to make sure the truck can start on its own

#20 · (Edited)
Even plugged in, which mine always is, you need all the juice you can get. I did leave it unplugged , did the mod, then turned it over without starting to see the difference. I believe it now could start at -25c without being plugged in

This from a truck the previous owner couldn't start at -2c if it wasn't plugged in

Some new glows, new ignition switch, cleaned up some grounds but not all yet, and the battery mods. Very little money and not to much time produced great results

#21 ·
nothing like a pair of dual terminal batteries with the bolt mod on all 4 connections. unoccupied top posts for quick and easy jumper cable connection, and a much better clamping system on an otherwise good idea that is the side post battery.

#22 ·
Then while their all clean, and new,,, spray them with the wifes hair spray. that will keep the corrosion at bay, and keep those connections looking new for a Long time!

#23 ·
Yup, got to add to this thread. I did spend a little more than $1.25 becuase I went stainless and bought the parts at an auto store instead of HD, but wow!! What a difference in starting. Amazing. A must do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.