Diesel Place banner

Heath diesel big problem HELP!!

14K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  Diaric 
#1 ·
Hi guys... first post and from the UK so bear with me lol!!

I have just brought our 97 C3500 dually 6.5, well two months ago... was so gutted on its terrible performance as I'd previously owned a 99 F350 7.3 which I tuned a little, I had to research a bit as support seems lacking too.

Anyway story short as possible, I ended up at Heath diesel's site and went about ordering $900.00 worth of stuff
Basically
Max-E-Torx $549.00
HD Fuel lift pump $129.00

GM96 Boost Cont $129.00 plus $85 shipping...

Spoke to a Joe, who was really helpful and quick to reply, that was until payment.. I rung Heath got Joe again.. did the deal and paid on card, he said he would mail me to state payment had gone through, but I checked my end and sure enough money was gone.. but since this time I've not heard from Joe or Heath diesel, even after trying 4 times now...

I've even said we are now very concerned and contacting card supplier tomorrow but still nothing.

Since then I've ordered stuff for my Trans-am elsewhere which has since arrived and been fitted....

So my question, is Heath a decent company?? have people been ripped off before, I thought and read they where known for great customer service and excellent products, but boy UK customer service bearly exists but heck this Heath company seem to really suck..

I mean its either I've been outright robbed or point blank ignored or the company has vanished off the face of the earth....

Crazy as my next stage of mods reach the same price again... cooling upgrades, PMD isolator, etc

Can people reccommend another company I can use and trust... for this and what seems to be the original stuff being reordered once I recover from losing almost $1,000.00 what a CRAP start to the new year....

Oh on a side note I paid with a Mastercard which is supplied via Paypal and takes money straight from my paypal balance.. so really crippling us especially as we have young kids and I'm ill with M.E/cfs and cronic back issues... so no endless pot of cash.

Sorry its a little long.. but we are stressing hard

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Kennedy Diesel is a site sponsor here and very reliable with quality products.

I will contact Heath Diesel and refer them to your post here to make them aware of the problem,public difficulties as you have now made this tend to get attention both good and bad-I expect they will want to correct this situation ASAP.

#7 ·
Call has been made and I spoke to Bill and directed him to this post,I will let things fall as they may from here on out since they are not a site sponsor here.

I was also told that the 877 phone # is world wide access so if you were to phone them it may have not had to get to this point of frustration for you,Heaths sites e-mail is under construction and could be a reason for communication issues.
NICE assist, by ANY measure. Good job, Canuck.

#3 · (Edited)
Call has been made and I spoke to Bill and directed him to this post,I will let things fall as they may from here on out since they are not a site sponsor here.

I was also told that the 877 phone # is world wide access so if you were to phone them it may have not had to get to this point of frustration for you,Heaths sites e-mail is under construction and could be a reason for communication issues.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm most grateful for that, thanks Racer55.

My wife did try ringing yesterday twice it just would not ring/connect, its her thats more fuming than me, I even tried the Facebook route today

#5 · (Edited)
Time zone difference taken into account?
Heath diesel is in Washington state near Seattle and is a 3 hour time change for me so I would have to use the net to calculate the difference for you?

Looks like about an 8 hour difference between you for phone calls during business hours,you are 8 hours ahead-1 pm in Seattle is PM where you live.

#8 · (Edited)
Call like early evening to get it at decent time.

If you call during the day from Europe, it is after midnight here.

I have never heard any problem from Heath.

He is a stand up guy. There is also a chance of holiday in between which make things a lot slower.

#6 · (Edited)
I've not ordered from heath personally, but I can tell you his products are top notch.

My suburban was a dog until about 2200 rpm. I decided to pull the pcm just for a look and noticed the chip cover was not put on right. Removed it to find an SSdiesel chip in it (their sticker is actually placed over a westers garage sticker, so I'm not too sure who generated the program). Not sure if it's their "80hp" or "40hp" part. I was having hard start issues with lots of cranking and had just replaced glow plugs.

I swapped in the used MaxETorq i had bought from a member on this board and the extended glow times pretty much cured the starting issues. Also, it's MUCH more drivable now. The turbo actually generates some boost under light throttle acceleration. I have their turbomaster here, but have not installed it yet. Looks like a quality part.

#9 ·
Hope you get everything sorted out. I've ordered from Heath and talked to bill a couple times and the costumer servie was always top notch.

#11 · (Edited)
Got an Email reply from Bill,the matter is being dealt with as much speed and professionalism as you would expect from a vendor of his status.

They have already made contact with ShaneVanessaUK today and I expect that things will be resolved in the most timely manner possible with regard to his order,given the nature of the concerns and details involved.

#13 ·
Oh wow.. thanks for all the comments and advise...
Yes, Joe as e-mailed explaining whats happened, he's been out of office, unwell, etc.
we are a few hours ahead, but I had rung before and spoken to Joe, when ordering, I guess with him saying he'd e-mail to confirm payment had gone through but then not doing it, planted a seed in my head I guess, then after a few attempts to contact nothing, it didn't look to good.
I wondered if somehow I'd spoken to someone who was nothing to do with Heath.

Sadly all my bits still remain at there store in the US though as they are struggling to get the the PCM cores?? however they are going to Express (upgrade) from USPS to I guess UPS.... once they get a core.

Meaning my truck is getting worse each day.. so going to have to park her up or get stranded... it used to hesitate at 60mph up hill now and again.. but now 35-40mph then slightly accelerate or hit a slight hill... shudder shudder!! surge surge (like someone is applying the brake on and off quickly) until I back off and reapply throttle, sometimes I apply throttle and hardly anything happens, come off and try again then its right???..

So hoping its only the up lift pump switch, but then again the luck I have it will be either the PMD (in my next order) or the whole fuel pump...

Anyway thanks again people, I'll update when the goods arrive

#14 · (Edited)
Click the diagnostic checklist at the bottom of my post.
Then copy and paste it to your next reply editing in the answers to the questions and performing the tests with the blue embedded links with test descriptions.

It seems you are trying to diagnose the problem with very little 6.5 background the way I read your post,seldom does throwing parts at it give a satisfactory result.

If you supply us with the information from the checklist we can likely help narrow down the root cause of the trouble.

Fuel supply problem does seem to exist but it can come from several reasons,air intrusion,bad/wrong fuel filler cap,weak or dead LP/circuitry,dirty fuel filter,contaminated fuel tank strainer or plugged IP inlet screens to name a few.

The more detailed information you can provide us the more likely we can help solve the problem at the lowest cost.

#15 ·
All I can add is my my dealings with Heath, They have a reputation for customer service that all vendors should look to as an example. If something fell through It wouldn't be Bill's fault, Possibly one of his employees but you can bet Bill will fix it. Both with the employee and personally.

#16 ·
Sounds like oil pressure switch went bad. Had that happen to me. Same problem ops was bad.

#17 ·
OPS is only a secondary power supply for the lift pump on OBDII 96+ vehicles,unlike the 95 or older trucks where OPS is the only power source for the LP when the engine is running.

Basically the OPS is very seldom ever a problem on 96+ but it can be a factor,just unlikely.

#19 ·
Surging is usually lack of fuel.. Three things normally cause this.

1. OPS
2. Fuel Supply pump
3. Most often over-looked Sock in the tank plugged up.
2nd most overlooked, air in fuel

#20 ·
I stand corrected. Didn't look at the year. Thank you for the assist

#21 ·
Hey Racer55 your a very helpful guy as are all of you, certainly one of the better forums of been on over the years...

Anyway I'm now confused... Racer, my truck is a 1997 BUT I brought a OBD II code reader (one of them blue-tooth things that connects to an app on my Galaxy Note) but it didn't work.
When I checked the trucks lables it stated OBD I (I've photographed the lable) so I figured that was why its didn't work??? but your saying it is OBD II... I've only a 93 Trans am and DON'T laugh a 01/96 Pontiac Sunfire GTO which are also OBD I so can't test if my reader is good

Its just that I want to check for codes, light has never come on other than at the point of starting... even when it stutters or surges nothing

Don't get me wrong I'm not throwing parts at it to fix this issue, I'm upgrading these things anyway as the lack of power is horrible and it will be pulling (hopefully) a heavy 32' Newmar Kountry Aire, and I see the up lift is a common issue that can cause my issue.

I think maybe I should check your check list first then start a new thread so not to confuse things, as this is originally a thread relating to Heath issues which hopefully will be sorted in due course.

Today I noticed the turbo is coated in oil (I've photo'd) but I've no knowledge on turbos other than my old Nissan Skyline GTR, My Powerstroke never gave a turbo issue so learned nothing there.

Hands up I am new to the 6.5 power unit.. my last Chevy truck was a stretch limo C2500 5.7 V8...

Anyway I will go read some of these links and threads here, before starting a thread that may will have been covered to death ;-)

#22 ·
Check the build date code on the door jamb as you did with your GTO.

The T/A is OBD1,the truck and GTO should both be OBDII since that began in the mid 96 model year.

By the way,the OBD1,OBDII thing must be resolved for Heath to do your programming.Although he would be able to do what is correct by VIN alone.
Please click the Go Advanced tab under the text box on your next post,if you scroll down below the text box then you will find "manage attachments"-that will allow you to upload pictures.

Please post photos of the build date codes on the door as well as the data link connector for the scanner to plug into.
This offsite link will display pictures of OBD1 connectors:
http://www.aldlcable.com/

OBDII connector:
http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=obd2cable

In no way am I trying to endorse this company-the links are for information purposes only.

#23 ·
Here is my stickers around my truck.. it states 11/96 in the top right corner...

I have a ELM 327 1.5 Android code reader.. which does nothing, I figured this was due to being OBD I especially after seeing OBD I on a sticker on the air intake box (see photo its nr middle at bottom).. It does plug into the plug connection under dash, its finds ECU but then nothing...

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
There is always issue with connecting the elm scanner to the computer.
Then, user have to learn how to use the interface.
In some cases, it may not be as straight forward as it looks.

May be you don't have any code.

On the other end, the way GM implement OBD-II may not be 100% compatible with new tools.

#24 ·
The truck is a 97 from the date code and vin,it is not OBDI just OBDI emissions complient.
It should be an OBDII system.
Check the lighter fuse to make sure the scanner can be powered up.
The trouble could also be the software you are trying to use,the 6.5 is unique as far as that goes.

#26 ·
The truck is a 97 from the date code and vin,it is not OBDI just OBDI emissions complient.
It should be an OBDII system.
Check the lighter fuse to make sure the scanner can be powered up.
The trouble could also be the software you are trying to use,the 6.5 is unique as far as that goes.
When I bought a Scangauge II, the same thing happened to me. I thought it was a defective scanner. Called a mechanic buddy I know and he said check the fuse. Turns out it was just that a blown fuse.

#27 ·
OK thanks guys, its just me being stupid lol!! the sticker does state OBDI emissions complient, and after all the scanner thing does connect the plug.. so not sure what I do now to see IF I have any codes, I guess a uber expensive code reader.

ANYWAY back to the original problem Heath Diesel... still no further forward really? I did get a reply thanks to Racer55... Which went like this

"Shane,

I do apologize for the delay in my response! I have been out of my office sick
for the last few days. There has been a delay due to a core shortage for the
PCMs, but that should be taken care of here within the next few days.
We will step up the shipping to express mail at no extra charge to you, and I
should have a tracking number for you here just within the next few days.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have an update on your order, and again I
apologize for the delay in my response.

Kind Regards,

Joe Heath
Heath Diesel, Inc"

I've since e-mailed again replying, asking if they can at least send what they do have in stock, but low and behold no reply once again.

I'll be honest I'll NOT use these guys again, I've had better service from small time e-bay sellers, maybe thats the plan? and they don't want to give me the $200 credit if I return my stock ECU.. like I said crazy really as I have another $600+ order for cooling upgrades and PMD isolator kit..
It all seems a little unprofessional to me, I find it remarkable they have no ECU core units to be able to re-map, even here in the UK I could locate a few of these as there are a few breaking/salvage from the various USAF bases.

I've brought $$$$ of stuff for my many American vehicles over the years and never had a problem.. last used being Riff Raff Diesel who were awesome when I uprated my 7.3 from stock.. they even called me to update, assisted with fitting info, Free gifts thermal tin Riff Raff cups, windscreen stickers etc etc..

Sadly although I love our C3500 the lack of support and power parts available to the UK I'm wondering if to sell up and move on to a more common diesel truck

#28 ·
I think you are over reacting,a few days would in my mind mean business days and I figure you need just a little more patience.

Even though Heaths are not a site sponsor here,they do get a tremendous amount of free advertising in the 6.5 section from word of mouth because they have earned a stellar reputation.

It is no surprise to me that cores are unavailable to Heaths,they are only 1 of about 5 tuners that I can think of off the top of my head that program 6.5 ECM's.if you do a conservative estimate that 1/2 the people who buy tuned ECM's keep their cores for local emissions testing and other reasons-there is a big demand with very limited supply.

#29 ·
Really? Do you think? I mean it’s not like I’m asking where my stuff is, I was just saying I had wrote once again asking a few things but got same no reply again.

I mean I’m a laid back person and all but it just annoying that before I paid? replies were rapid but since paying it’s like a totally different company now.

Bear in mind I was getting no where till I posted here, it was not until you spoke to Heath I suddenly got the message I highlighted above.

I really didn’t think I was being unreasonable, just concerned, maybe $1,000.00 is nothing to many people, I’m afraid being unable to work due to sudden disability has made money tight, it was only selling the Cadillac that’s funded this.

I must say I’m kind of lost for words to hear I’m in the wrong.

I’ll update if the thread doesn’t get deleted and the items do ever arrive, meanwhile I check other companies for the other stuff I need.

#32 · (Edited)
Actually there are a few members here and on other sites that have not drinken this kool-aid for quite a while. My brother (whom has a lower opinion of this company than I have), and I are counted among those. If you do a little searching around, (we, and I am sure many members will help), you will be able to find all the upgrades that you need for your truck at less than 1/2 the price of Heath Diesel.......whom is not a sponsor here. This core issue has come up repeatedly in the past, most companies would pick up cores from a core supplier such as Goldfarb and Associates in the states.
We figure Heath is on hard times now (sorry if anyone does not want to hear this), ( edited upon request)

As was suggested before, Kennedy Diesel is one of our site sponsors here, as are Rock Auto and BD Diesel. Between these and maybe a couple other suggestions all your purchases can be made.

Is it too late to do a charge-back on your credit card ?

#33 ·
Actually there are a few members here and on other sites that have not drinken this kool-aid for quite a while. My brother (whom has a lower opinion of this company than I have), and I are counted among those. If you do a little searching around, (we, and I am sure many members will help), you will be able to find all the upgrades that you need for your truck at less than 1/2 the price of Heath Diesel.......whom is not a sponsor here. This core issue has come up repeatedly in the past, most companies would pick up cores from a core supplier such as Goldfarb and Associates in the states.
We figure Heath is on hard times now (sorry if anyone does not want to hear this), another member has been waiting for a motor for almost a year now. Many different reasons why it has not been delivered.

As was suggested before, Kennedy Diesel is one of our site sponsors here, as are Rock Auto. Between these and maybe a couple other suggestions all your purchases can be made.

Is it too late to do a charge-back on your credit card ?
:hail: X2 here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check your PM's, I sent you some info....

#35 ·
#39 ·
Been told that by someone I know locally. He has a fleet of 6.2's & 6.5's and most have some kind of Heath part on it. Granted, his prices are...different. I've looked online (and I am a new 6.5L owner) and I'm getting a certain "idea" what range of prices are for these.

Heck, Heath's shop is only 40-45 min from me....I should go there one of these days to see if he sells out of his shop/store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.