Diesel Place banner

LTX MS2 ride quality

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  lotsofmiles 
#1 ·
Had the LTX MS on my 02 and thought the ride quality was good.Truck had 48,000 miles when they were put on and traded truck at 70,000 miles.On my 07 put LTX MS2 on at 51,000 and the ride was ok but has deteriated so much at 66,000 miles.Have tryed diff tire pressures,usually run 60 front, 50 rear empty.This truck is basicly a clone to the 02 but is riding far worse.Have bilstein shocks on both trucks.Just trying to get others experiance with this tire.Maybe other issues to cause the poor ride,truck handles great.Just taking a beating in the cab!

#2 ·
I love the LTX MS for dry roads but give them a vote of NC (No confidence) on snow and ice. I recently cut the sidewall on ond of my MS so I went to replace a pair and ended up with MS2's. They are still new so can't comment on ride quality when worn.

I will say this, I much prefer the AT2 for any kind of traction situation, but they are nowhere near as smooth and quiet as the MS series. I'll probably go MS summer and Blizzaks winter when it's time to change.

#3 ·
Subscribed... (needing tires)

#4 ·
Ive got about 20k on my ms2's and I have no complaints. I switch around in vehicles alot, company truck, the dually, wifes truck, etc so I would think I would notice if it was 'off'. Are the tires showing any kind of weird wear pattern? Just thinking that if you had a shock that was bad it could be letting that tire jump going down the road, cause odd wear, and then make the problem even worse.

#5 ·
Tires are showing good even wear,rotate on a regular basis.The ride is good on smooth roads,bumps and expansion joints are getting into the cab so to speak.Maybe the cab mounts are not doing a good job anymore.Started about 6,000 miles ago and progressively got worse.Had the updated rear cab mounts installed about 4 years ago.My 02 rode so much better!

#6 ·
I have a set of LTX m-s on my wifes 01, also put a set on my friends 07 and Dad's 02 when my wholesaler was closing them out when the M-S2's hit the market. The LTX's are wearing like iron with no issues to speak of. I agree with Kennedy about snow traction. I take off my wifes when the snow flies and put on studded snow tires. I have sold several sets of the M-S2's and my customers like them, and the only part I really don't like about them is that they only start out with 13/32nds of tread depth when new. I have 14k miles on my Cepek Fun Country II's and they still have 16/32nds and traction is a non issue, but they aren't quiet like the Michelins, so it is a trade off.

#7 ·
I am satisfyed with the traction on snow and ice.I know there are other tires that could easily outdo these in that respect.I put Blizzaks on my wifes SUV for winter tires,now theres some grippers!

#9 ·
SayWhat,

How much air pressure are you running in your tires? My usual recomendation is empty truck, 60-65 front 50 rear, loaded truck 65 front 80 rear.

#11 ·
60 front empty & loaded;50 rear empty& 80 rear with fiver hitched

#12 · (Edited)
The ride comfort/overall was alot better on the original M/S tires. Even my A/T2s ride better them my M/S2s.

My experience with the M/S2s. I noticed when they were new, but wrote it off as they need to break in. I have 30K+ miles on them now & A few months ago I noticed somethings. (IMO) The ride comfort on the M/S2s suck. Iv adjusted the air pressure to many diff PSIs. With my M/S2 I feel every little crack or thing in the road. Plus @ times vibration @ high speeds. Iv had them re-mounted & balanced, checked to see if tires are out of round, rims arent bent, air pressure adjusted @ diff psi & still. Discount Tire doesnt want to swap them out for new 1s cause they said everything checks out as far as the tires not being defective. They claim it to be a "Vehicle" issue. :rolleyes:
I dont know if its true or not but a tire guy I talked to said maybe the problems Iv listed has something to do with the compound in the rubber cause theyre "Green X" low rolling tire resistance.

When I had the original M/S tires I never had the problems I listed above & with the A/T2s I dont have any of the problems I listed above. Id prefer the original M/S tires or A/T2 over the M/S2.

If the problem with the M/S2s is because of the Green X that Fn sucks. Im still waiting to hear back from Michelin about replacing them. I wish I had better luck with Discount Tire. Went to many different Discount Tire shops around here & basically said/would do the same as the other shops.

The performance on the M/S2s is fair/good (much more improved then the original M/S tires) in light snow, wet road for a "all season"/highway tire its just the ride comfort, on dry land is terrible.

#13 · (Edited)
I have 160,000 miles on the Michelin ltx ms2. I keep all 4 at 80. Same ride comfort thru the life so far, except when my shocks were getting bad.

And X 100. They suck in snow (but my truck is 2wd). Ran a set of Michelin Ltx winters last winter and loved them. They were LRR, green x snow tires. No complaints out of them. Great traction in the snow.

#16 ·
Lotsofmiles,

How long did your winter ltx's last?

#18 ·
Ran them just over 18,000 miles last winter. Dont look much different than new. Put thm on the van for this winter.

I could try to measure tread depth to get an exact.
Good to know for those wanting another option for a winter tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.